Blinds, Blinds..

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Blinds, Blinds..

Postby N2hunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm

So while trying to learn the laws that go with hunting the public waterway, I came up with a question I am sure most of you can answer "maybe will answer :biggrin: ". In all seriousness besides for being a property owner and building a blind how does one end up with a blind? If someone built a blind last year and didn't license it in time year, does that become fair game for anyone to tag? I highly doubt I will ever get to where I can use a blind, but curiosity is there.
N2hunt
hunter

Re: Blinds, Blinds..

Postby Mike Diamond » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

I'll say this before others here do: Get a copy of the blind laws. They can be found online at V.D.G.I.F.'s site or in the booklet that gives you the season and bag limits. Read it carefully (not kidding). Only believe exactly what it says. Don't make assumptions. Learn. We all had to do it.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Read the law in the Code of Virginia, do not read the DGIF website.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:12 pm

To answer your question , you gain a fixed blind by building it . Land fixed blind last longer but one must own or have permission to hunt the land and it only needs to be license if the blind owner wants to claim the 500 yards around it to keep other waterfowlers away . Water fixed blinds must have a blind license on it and most have a boat hide attach to it . IMO a Stationary blind should be a tool in every waterfowler must have gear . A base camp / safe spot / fall back and regroup spot, that gives the owner and guest a warm dry place that keeps one on the hunt when its just to bad to hunt a boat .
A old blind that isn't license still has a maker , I would take the wood to another spot but would never nail my tag on someone else hard work .

:hammer: LD :hammer:

I disagree with Undercoverrrednek for very few hunters ever see code of Va. and DGIF prints out the laws and puts them in a book for all to have access to .
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 am

The point that UR is making is that the code is the actual law. The VDGIF publishes a summarization that is open to their interpretation and then the CPOs interpret that interpretation. Add to that people who are completely unfamiliar with legalese trying to bend, wiggle, slip their interpretation into a duck blind and it's a mess.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:26 pm

The point I am making is out in the marsh with the CPO standing in front of you, the printed book from DGIFin hand will get you back to hunting a whole lot faster then trying to quote something out of the Va. Code book that is in the courthouse .

Pure Fact !

:hammer: LD :hammer:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:14 pm

You can not tag another persons blind due to it being private property. Howeverr, If the license has expired you can build a blind beside it but can not put your tag on that blind. The owner of the expired license can be cited for not removing the blind when its not being licensed.
We had another scenario this year that was unique, the landowner put a tag on a 2x4, come Nov. 1...no blind. I looked all down the shore...no blind... so we put up a float blind stake infront of his tag. I get called by the landowner for encroaching on his blind...what blind...he said you have to get out on the shore & walk back about ten yards in the reeds to find it. I told him that I would be tresspassing and I could be ticketed, plus the tag needed to be AFFIXED to his blind. I talked to the GW about it and he said that the tag needed to be on the blind, and we were legally right to hunt there. However, the landowner had called the GW for that side of the river and told us we would be ticketed if we hunted there. I removed the tag and said the heck with it....too much hassle to go to court over a duck blind tag. We are not welcome on the other side of the river...they don't want us any where around there. :tongue:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I wondered about that, If there is a blind on private property and you can't see the tag from your boat

DGIF says

"The license plate furnished must be affixed to the blind at a location where it can be easily seen."

So if some says some thing, do whip out the book and show him this or just leave cause you probably loose with the GW ?????
Ducks27
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Ask yourself this question ; If Va. didn't have blind laws what do you think the GW/CPO would do if the landowner called ? Yes the tag must be affixed to the blind where it can be seen (just look at every dummy blind on the blind law area , way up high on the front of the blind ) Look there are two sets of numbers on the stamp that is on the tag one is the year and it is this big 2014 the other is the blind number jt's this size VA2089629and is what one is buying from DGIF to gain the 500 yard protection by law .
10 yards up the bank is a little much to have someone to want to write down the numbers walking up to so maybe .... Odds are the CPO is going with the landowner over the here today gone tomorrow waterfowler and like IG said .....too much hassle .

:sad: LD :fingerhead:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:You can not tag another persons blind due to it being private property. :

Used to be so but we had a GW let someone tag someone else’s old blind this year. Said if it wasn’t licensed in time it was "abandoned" and could be tagged. Was upheld by richmond so far.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Thats the whole issue with any law...interpretation of it.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:44 am

really?
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting