boat blind almost done

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

boat blind almost done

Postby Bull Island Boy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:39 pm

finished up the frame of the blind today on my little wooden boat today and must say im very pleased. got one side brushed up with marsh reeds and by golly i almost lost the boat. cant with to see how she looks all brushed up. ill post some pictures of it tomorrow. if all goes as planed we should have her all brushed up tomorrow. the back has wire fence to hide the motor and will take that boxy look away from it.and i think there will be a piece of wire to set over the bow to cover the front end where the blind stops.i cant get over how nice this thing looks. have any of y'all made a blind with marsh reeds if so tell me how ya did it and post a picture if you don't mind. thanks
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Re: boat blind almost done

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Dang good to read that I'm not the only one that is still working on a new boat blind , I too have a camo job waiting .
Not sure what you are calling marsh reeds , but I love using marsh grass or what we call laydown grass b/c it grows about 2.5' lond and lays down on the ground . I use gillnet stapled to the blind and take the blind to the marsh grass and grab a handful and cut it at the ground . While never letting go of the cut end I shove it into a hole in the net starting at the top row and down for about 1.5 foot . A handful should fill the hole up and keep it from falling out . After first row is done drop down about a foot and do another row . On and on till the whole blind is grassed . Then go back a staple anything that needs it . The grass will last for years with little patch work as long as it stays off the road rolling at 55 to 75 mph .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:24 pm

forgot to take one in the light.
Attachments
boatblind.jpg
boatblind1.jpg
boatblind2.jpg
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:25 pm

tell me what y'all think about it.
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 pm

I think it will kill ducks. You gonna hide that bow?
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I think you should keep on until you have about 32 extra feet of grass matt and then let me take it off your hands. Looks good!
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby drake7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:28 am

Will those reeds fold down without breaking? Thinking of doing something similar and would rather use real reeds than fast grass.
drake7
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

drake7 wrote:Will those reeds fold down without breaking? Thinking of doing something similar and would rather use real reeds than fast grass.

I might be wrong but his blind looks to be a fixed blind built on the boat .
She looks natural at ground level at night , take a look at her from the roof of your house today and see what the ducks will be looking at . How is the grass hanging on the side of the blind for I can't see anything , :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

:hammer: LD :clapping:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 pm

We just use a die cut camo cloth draped to the water to cover our bow. Looks like a mud bank and the birds havent minded it for many years. Nice looking blind. Becareful standing to drive in the dark.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:11 pm

the frame is built of wood and wire is hung from the top and stapled to the outside of the washboards. the grass is woven threw the wire. we are not attaching anything to the bow because that's how i will get in and out but im going to make a piece of wire that will cover the bow and just put it over it once were set up and hunting. the grass hats on the side hangs almost to the water line. and by golly it takes a lot of grass to brush one and not do a half arse job. and it takes a long time to weave that much grass
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 pm

well the blind is all brushed up and ready to hunt. here are some pics. the picture is all the grass i have left over when i started with the other side and the back the bed was full to the top
Attachments
IMG_20131221_150712 (600x800).jpg
IMG_20131221_132305 (600x800).jpg
IMG_20131221_132252 (600x800).jpg
IMG_20131220_145217 (600x800).jpg
IMG_20131221_132339 (600x800).jpg
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:00 am

looks sweet but how do you see where you're going at dark thirty? :huh:
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:42 am

Well, I'll say one thing for ya, they will never see you in the boat, but then again, you might never see them either. Grass looks good. Cut you a couple of poes 8ft long to stick the bow and stern when ready to hunt. Get a crabnet for picking up the ducks. You'll shoot birds out of it, be careful, good Luck! :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:59 am

Blind looks good !! They definitely won't be looking down at ya !! Nice grass job !
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks guys I really worked hard to get this thing hunting. As far as driving goes I have a piece of pipe that goes on the tiller so I can stand. It's a little difficult to see but I kinda hold the grass down with my arm when I'm driving and use a spot light out to the side I will post some more pictures when I get back home
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm

hey bull island think I saw ya out there today, if that was you, yall blended in pretty good with that blind
Ducks27
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm

fowl mouth wrote:looks sweet but how do you see where you're going at dark thirty? :huh:

The difference between a duck boat and a floating blind is a floating blind has only one job it must do , hide the hunter and a duck boat has to be a boat first and a blind second . Dang nice floating blind you have :thumbsup: .

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 am

LEWDOG wrote:
fowl mouth wrote:looks sweet but how do you see where you're going at dark thirty? :huh:

The difference between a duck boat and a floating blind is a floating blind has only one job it must do , hide the hunter and a duck boat has to be a boat first and a blind second . Dang nice floating blind you have :thumbsup: .

very true. and thanks you sir. here is a picture of it in the marsh. killed my first gadwall today a haryhead 2 bluebills and two dippers. i think the blind fooled this one dipper because i was one the phone with my Buddie standing up and i look down and not 10 foot from the boat was a hen dipper swimming straight towards the boat. needless to say she was added to the bag. today is the first time Ive ever limited out.
Attachments
boatblind8.jpg
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:17 am

Bull Island Boy wrote:
LEWDOG wrote:

very true. and thanks you sir. here is a picture of it in the marsh. killed my first gadwall today a haryhead 2 bluebills and two dippers. i think the blind fooled this one dipper because i was one the phone with my Buddie standing up and i look down and not 10 foot from the boat was a hen dipper swimming straight towards the boat. needless to say she was added to the bag. today is the first time Ive ever limited out.

almost limited out... hairy heads dont count towards duck limit :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby TidalVA » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:40 am

Buy a piece of burlap and cover that bow
TidalVA
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:26 pm

i got burlap and camo net i just didn't put it over it yet because i was still getting in and out of the boat
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Do you mind me asking how much this set you back? I'm looking at getting a duck boat at some point, but store-bought blinds are so dang expensive and I'm not even sure I could afford a boat at this point. I think that's a sweet looking setup by the way.
uglymug
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:16 pm

custom blind > store bought boat blind any day
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Bull Island Boy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:03 pm

uglymug wrote:Do you mind me asking how much this set you back? I'm looking at getting a duck boat at some point, but store-bought blinds are so dang expensive and I'm not even sure I could afford a boat at this point. I think that's a sweet looking setup by the way.

i had some 2x4s laying around the house that i used and the boards that run along the top were like $5-6 a piece and i think i used 4 of them and the wire was the most expensive thing at $50 witch is kinda high in my opinion. the grass is free but it takes a lot of it to do a good job but it helps if you got a few friends that don't mind helping and will go by quicker. it didn't cost a whole lot. its far cheaper than buying one and far better :thumbsup:
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting