Claytor Lake

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Claytor Lake

Postby duckasaurus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Anyone ever hunted here or heard anything about duck hunting the lake or the new river? I have a lake house on Claytor and have seen a duck blind on the outside of my cove but never attempted to hunt it. Just wondering if anyone has hunted here before or on the new river.
duckasaurus
hunter

Re: Claytor Lake

Postby b_n_wGunner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 am

Waterfowl hunting has been banned from the major reservoirs in Virginia that have development around them. Lake Anna was the first to get shutdown. That prompted the rest of the home owners associations around these lakes to act, and the ordinances have been passed effective immediately.

Oh well. Wasn't much good hunting on these reservoirs anyhow. Claytor was probably near the top of the list as far as success goes. Good luck.
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby drake7 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:31 am

Where do you find out whether a lake is closed or not? I also don't see how a HOA could close hunting on a lake that's dammed with a public dam. Seems like the lake bed should be considered public property.
drake7
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:22 am

For example, Lake Anna is owned entirely by Dominion Power. They can shut down whatever they want. They can, and have closed the entire lake to all traffic. All it takes is an e-mail.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby kahunna » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 am

b_n_w/et al. - BS. Lake Anna's water and islands are owned by Dominion Power. The HOA's at Lake Anna have no authority to ban hunting on the lake. Lake Anna is not closed to waterfowl hunting, and has never been, except under one or two emergency situations when the entire lake is closed to water usage. Contact the lake manager for Dominion Power for confirmation. Happy Hunting with the masses!
kahunna
hunter

Postby GoosinNoVa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 am

Lake Anna is not closed to waterfowl
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 pm

kahunna wrote:b_n_w/et al. - BS. Lake Anna's water and islands are owned by Dominion Power. The HOA's at Lake Anna have no authority to ban hunting on the lake. Lake Anna is not closed to waterfowl hunting, and has never been, except under one or two emergency situations when the entire lake is closed to water usage. Contact the lake manager for Dominion Power for confirmation. Happy Hunting with the masses!

9-11-01, Don't remember if it was totally shut down or not, but do remember the gun boats on the lake in the weeks after.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 pm

GoosinNoVa wrote:Lake Anna is not closed to waterfowl

Well tell them. They sure avoid that place.
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Aythya » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Kahunna speaks the truth...when he says there are a billion geese on the water, don't bother counting....they are there.

Lake Anna is still open to hunting. No birds to speak of up there, but have at it.
Get 'em close.
Aythya
hunter

Postby GoosinNoVa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Mudgun wrote:
GoosinNoVa wrote:Lake Anna is not closed to waterfowl

Well tell them. They sure avoid that place.

haha you are right about that
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Honest scouting report. Drove from 208 to the dam last weekend. 6 buffleheads and one goose.
Mudgun
hunter

Postby dodman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:34 am

I live close to it, and have hunted it for a few years. If the cove/blind you're referring to is in the lower lake, it's one I know pretty well. Claytor used to have a hydrilla "problem" that's been actively fought with grass carp, etc, and as a result it's been greatly reduced up and down the lake. When you combine that with the fact that it's a steep-sided mountain lake, it's become very poor puddle duck habitat. Some lost migrating birds stopping over for a drink and a rest is what I hope for when I'm out there now. I haven't even seen coots up there this year. It's cyclic of course though....as long as you have a house there, keep an eye out season-to-season.

And when you visit and are sitting on the water, freezing in the mountains, staring at a sky full of no ducks, remember all the GREAT deer, turkey, and goose hunting all around you that you're ignoring to do it, for some gawd forsaken reason. It's a feeling we know pretty well up here. :tongue:
dodman
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:47 am

I think the turkeys outnumber the ducks !!
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby dodman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 pm

A few weeks ago a dozen turkeys flew across the river while I was duck hunting. I saw maybe three ducks. So I ended up actually seeing more turkeys in the AIR than ducks. :tongue:

Then again, I got out to pee the other day. Walking away from the boat I looked down and realized I was smack in the middle of a ton of fresh turkey scratches. :eek: Old ones went on for about 50 yards down a trail. That stretch is public land and I'm going to try to get set up on them in the next couple days. Soooo...silver lining and all that, mwa ha....
dodman
hunter

Postby kheup » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:30 pm

I hunt downstream of Claytor quite a bit. It's hit or miss. We've had days where we limit out and days we don't see a single bird.
kheup
Newb

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting