Gadwalls

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Gadwalls

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Been shooting woodies and ringnecks, slipping in alittle fishing on sunday ams. ..this week the mallards and gaddys showed up, got a drake & hen out of the same group this am, they were cupped and commited... I love to see those feet come down.. Anyways these are my first gadwall, gonna have em mounted, anyone have any experience with fulchers taxidermy?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Re: Gadwalls

Postby skimerhorn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36 pm

They seemed ok talking to them at the hunting show, but I haven't used them yet.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 am

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Been shooting woodies and ringnecks, slipping in alittle fishing on sunday ams. ..this week the mallards and gaddys showed up, got a drake & hen out of the same group this am, they were cupped and commited... I love to see those feet come down.. Anyways these are my first gadwall, gonna have em mounted, anyone have any experience with fulchers taxidermy?

Good stuff, nice looking crappies too.

lil norms taxidermy in gloucester. 200 bucks and the BEST hands down you will ever see. go once and you will be a customer for life.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 am

Killed my first Gadwall on Monday also. :beer:
Attachments
Drake Gadwall Small.JPG
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Definitely been seeing more gadwall than in years past...fine by me, best tasting duck, imo.
skydog
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas.. Glouster is a bit far for me. I'm on the west side of Isle of Wight, if I'm not happy with this one ill definitely be down with the hour drive for the next one... If I ever get the opportunity to shoot a pintail ill have him mounted as well.. Hope everyone is having a great season! Merry Christmas!
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:16 am

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas.. Glouster is a bit far for me. I'm on the west side of Isle of Wight, if I'm not happy with this one ill definitely be down with the hour drive for the next one... If I ever get the opportunity to shoot a pintail ill have him mounted as well.. Hope everyone is having a great season! Merry Christmas!

understand that completely. I will say I had two bluebills done somewhere else that turned out horrible and they haunted me everytime I looked at them so now i will do whatever it takes to make me happy with the end product. Say hi to the pair of bills next time you are in Grafton Fishing Supply bc I finally leant them to his shop after I saw them next to the black duck Lil Norm did. It truly made them unbearable to look at on the daily.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas.. Glouster is a bit far for me. I'm on the west side of Isle of Wight, if I'm not happy with this one ill definitely be down with the hour drive for the next one... If I ever get the opportunity to shoot a pintail ill have him mounted as well.. Hope everyone is having a great season! Merry Christmas!

I understand that its your first gadwall but I'd freeze it and see if you get another. Not as plumed out as it could be for this late in the year.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:46 am

Nice lookin speckles!
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:40 am

I also think u should freeze that drake for sure and see if u kill a more mature, plummed one. That drake is a young one. We kill them by the hundreds here so I can tell u they get much better than that. Unless they are super rare then have at it and get him mounted. Congrats on the kill. Good luck on some more to come.

I usually kill a few of these here every year. My favorite phase of the Grey Duck.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby dodman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Shot my first one today as well, up here in the mountains. There's been a small flock buzzing around the past week...never seen them up here before.
dodman
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting