Worse season in years

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: Worse season in years

Postby Mudgun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 am

I think people greatly underestimate the value of food to a duck.

If you take a lake in Virginia and develop the shoreline, remove all the hydrilla, silt in the upper stretches you will have no food. The down-lake areas generally have steeper drop-offs and thus less useful areas for ducks, even divers. The birds will use the lakes as roosts and will fly off before sunrise many days and return after dark if they can due to pressure.

On the other hand, I have a few ponds that I check for birds that tend to indicate when ducks have arrived. The ringers/buffleheads showed up in the last week. They are normally here much earlier. So, it may just be a late push.

I'm not hunting a feedlot so it's hard to say.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:02 am

BINGO
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 am

Mudgun wrote:I think people greatly underestimate the value of food to a duck.

If you take a lake in Virginia and develop the shoreline, remove all the hydrilla, silt in the upper stretches you will have no food. The down-lake areas generally have steeper drop-offs and thus less useful areas for ducks, even divers. The birds will use the lakes as roosts and will fly off before sunrise many days and return after dark if they can due to pressure.

On the other hand, I have a few ponds that I check for birds that tend to indicate when ducks have arrived. The ringers/buffleheads showed up in the last week. They are normally here much earlier. So, it may just be a late push.

I'm not hunting a feedlot so it's hard to say.

Bet. That.

Around here we have been seeing good pushes since before Thanksgiving, usually see a decent push once per week. All the ponds, creeks and rivers will load up for 1-2 days, then there won't be a bird around for the next 7-10 days. The reason is plain and simple, we do not have any food in the water.

Wet summer + wet fall = no ducks
Wet summer + dry fall = no ducks
Dry summer + dry fall = a few ducks
Dry summer + wet fall = many limits

In the years that we have dry summers and wet falls, we have killed plenty of ducks. No matter the weather, there will always be enough birds on the food to keep us in business. No food, and we have no ducks. Hydrilla?? That disappeared 5 years ago around here, and so did the divers. Oh well.
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 am

I think the ducks we use to see (coastal salt water lower western shore) have abandoned the Flyway all together. We never held any amount of ducks in the area due to lack of food, but at least you saw them moving thru the area on weather fronts. This year, I'll bet I haven't seen a tenth of the ducks we usually see, especially when the season came in November. December has always been a terrible month for ducks in our spots and this December its been the slowest in many years. You just don't see a single duck of any kind hunting. If you do get a duck, its the only one you saw and that's not great either. The only thing I'm hoping for now is that in the latter part of January, we might see some birds moving back up the coast and that will help. I'm to the point that I hope it warms up and is a balmy January, maybe they'll be on their way back North then. The cold, skim ice stuff is just not working in our neck of the woods! BTW, Where are all the Shell ducks at?? :huh:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:22 am

We valley folk have plenty of food under water (dry summer, wet fall), but the frozen/flooded combo is killing us. Geese got here last week, right on time. Had a good mallard shoot this morning, but that was just the third one since the start of the November season. January is always the best month for us, so we'll see how the next four weeks goes...
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:I think the ducks we use to see (coastal salt water lower western shore) have abandoned the Flyway all together. We never held any amount of ducks in the area due to lack of food, but at least you saw them moving thru the area on weather fronts. This year, I'll bet I haven't seen a tenth of the ducks we usually see, especially when the season came in November. December has always been a terrible month for ducks in our spots and this December its been the slowest in many years. You just don't see a single duck of any kind hunting. If you do get a duck, its the only one you saw and that's not great either. The only thing I'm hoping for now is that in the latter part of January, we might see some birds moving back up the coast and that will help. I'm to the point that I hope it warms up and is a balmy January, maybe they'll be on their way back North then. The cold, skim ice stuff is just not working in our neck of the woods! BTW, Where are all the Shell ducks at?? :huh:

I think DU is full of chit with their annual duck numbers report. Damn if we've seen an increase in bird numbers this year, last year, etc. This goes from up your way, down this way, and in Pamlico/Hyde counties, NC.
Willie
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I've been seeing best numbers in maybe 5 years :huh:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Willie wrote:
Islander Gunner wrote:I think the ducks we use to see (coastal salt water lower western shore) have abandoned the Flyway all together. We never held any amount of ducks in the area due to lack of food, but at least you saw them moving thru the area on weather fronts. This year, I'll bet I haven't seen a tenth of the ducks we usually see, especially when the season came in November. December has always been a terrible month for ducks in our spots and this December its been the slowest in many years. You just don't see a single duck of any kind hunting. If you do get a duck, its the only one you saw and that's not great either. The only thing I'm hoping for now is that in the latter part of January, we might see some birds moving back up the coast and that will help. I'm to the point that I hope it warms up and is a balmy January, maybe they'll be on their way back North then. The cold, skim ice stuff is just not working in our neck of the woods! BTW, Where are all the Shell ducks at?? :huh:

I think DU is full of chit with their annual duck numbers report. Damn if we've seen an increase in bird numbers this year, last year, etc. This goes from up your way, down this way, and in Pamlico/Hyde counties, NC.

i think DU is just full of chit in general
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Pretty much...been saying 'record' numbers of birds for years.

The Atlantic flyway is dying a slow and painful death.
skydog
hunter

Postby kahunna » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:50 pm

You don't know if you don't go...otherwise, you're just repeating what you've heard! Another round of MAJOR cold weather up north getting ready to happen.
kahunna
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm

And the best part of it is that the rain coming Wednesday evening and extreme cold and snow on Friday can only help me tomorrow. Birds will be on the prowl for food prior to the front getting here. And I will be out there all day tomorrow and on Wednesday morning. Could be the best days of the season. :thumbsup:

Have seen quite a few fresh birds in the area west of 95. Looking good till Thursday! :bow: :welcome:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm

No way! Worst season in years....
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby Fins and Feathers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:We valley folk have plenty of food under water (dry summer, wet fall), but the frozen/flooded combo is killing us. Geese got here last week, right on time. Had a good mallard shoot this morning, but that was just the third one since the start of the November season. January is always the best month for us, so we'll see how the next four weeks goes...

We've had the perfect storm here in the valley this year it seems.
Fins and Feathers
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 am

Fins and Feathers wrote:
Tangier Island Slacker wrote:We valley folk have plenty of food under water (dry summer, wet fall), but the frozen/flooded combo is killing us. Geese got here last week, right on time. Had a good mallard shoot this morning, but that was just the third one since the start of the November season. January is always the best month for us, so we'll see how the next four weeks goes...

My worst Nov/Dec in a decade. Easy. November is a throwaway month anyways, but December was a disappointment. Here's to hoping that January acts as a savior.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Fins and Feathers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:40 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
Fins and Feathers wrote:

My worst Nov/Dec in a decade. Easy. November is a throwaway month anyways, but December was a disappointment. Here's to hoping that January acts as a savior.

September goose was great for us, October duck was a waste of time, November pretty much sucked except did get to crush some mallards in a dry corn field other than that it was bad
Fins and Feathers
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

y'alls bad days made good ones for me here on the bay , I just wish I could have hunted some during first light for most if not all of my hunts didn't start till 0800 bell at my kids school .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:17 pm

The suckfest continues! Worst December in years! October was average, November started good on woodies but slow on the marsh and the marsh has just gotten worse. Saw two large flocks of birds up high and that was it all morning. Been hunting 5 of the past 6 days and have very little to show for the effort. It's not about numbers so much with me but what dumb butt hunts ducks when there are NO ducks? Very dicouragd, going to rest up a few days and hope for new birds in the new year. Wet year = no ducks here.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Went out on Monday and got 3 limits of geese with 2 of my friends. Tuesday was a repeat only with the geese being greater Canadas. Nice fat birds over 12 pounds each. Saw some ducks on the lower lake and had a pair of black ducks pass by just out of range. Don't understand why the birds are west of 95 this year but they are here. Got another month for ducks and till Feb 15 for geese. Looking forward to some great hunts. Saw several flocks of ducks today all high and headed southwest toward where I hunt. Sorry that it is so bad on the coast. :grooving: :welcome:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:19 pm

I pray for a drought every year.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 am

adustydawg2 wrote:Went out on Monday and got 3 limits of geese with 2 of my friends. Tuesday was a repeat only with the geese being greater Canadas. Nice fat birds over 12 pounds each. Saw some ducks on the lower lake and had a pair of black ducks pass by just out of range. Don't understand why the birds are west of 95 this year but they are here. Got another month for ducks and till Feb 15 for geese. Looking forward to some great hunts. Saw several flocks of ducks today all high and headed southwest toward where I hunt. Sorry that it is so bad on the coast. :grooving: :welcome:

As much as I hate to even do this....here goes.

I am going to guess that you were hunting the SJ Bay Zone. That means you killed 9 geese. You ALMOST had a shot a pair of ducks and saw some more.

That's a good hunt. A good hunt in VA no doubt. Most of America wouldn't get out of bed for that hunt. Not picking at you personally, I'm saying that is an indication of a systemic failure.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 am

Don't know if I care much about what most of America would do :huh: , but I'd most definitely get out of bed for 9 geese
skydog
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 am

Ehh... borderline. I might do it if I had nothing else going on and really wanted to get out. And had time to clean the vermin. And didn't have to drive more than a few minutes or set up more than a few decoys. God knows I've had a million worse hunts, but if that's the guarantee, some other factors would have to line up.

Also, the odds of 9 of 9 geese going over 12 pounds is somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0000000000000034%. I've weighed hundreds of them on a certified scale, and a surprisingly small percentage goes over 11, much less 12. A 13-pound goose is an absolute monster, a one-in-several-hundred freak.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 am

Virginia waterfowling is in a sad state of affairs when 9 geese and ALMOST getting 2 black ducks constitutes birds being everywhere.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 am

Mudgun, that is 9 geese PER day for 2 days. That adds up to 18 geese. And yes we were hunting west of 95. Had I wanted to slog across that muddy field a half mile to the lower lake I could have gotten into the ducks. But I opted for the geese. Will get down next week for a duck and goose blast. Now you would not get out of bed for some good action? Well, snore on brother, i will be out there for that good a hunt any day! :lol: :bow: :welcome:

BTW, was done by 10 am. :tongue:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby GoosinNoVa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Been great for geese this year getting our 3 or 4 man limit every outing but not so much on ducks. Getting a lot of ring necks but few mallards here and there.
GoosinNoVa
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting