Worse season in years

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Re: Worse season in years

Postby va marsh rat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm

A duck? What's a duck? I think I saw one yesterday. He circled very high for a few minutes and then flew to Hardee's. I think I heard him laughing at me.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm

had to use zoom on phone so its a little blurry but heres a few hundred ringers
Attachments
ringers.jpg
ringers.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:14 pm

imaduckin, saw a big flock of gadwalls down your way last week on the Rapp. Seeing lots of ringers up river near Remington. Somebody might want to try a float hunt from Remington to Rappahannock Campground. Could be a sweet hunt! :hammer: :yes:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 am

imaduckin up north wrote:had to use zoom on phone so its a little blurry but heres a few hundred ringers

no ducks in va :huh:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:36 am

skydog wrote:Don't know if I care much about what most of America would do :huh: , but I'd most definitely get out of bed for 9 geese

Talk to guys in other parts of the country. Sure, they had a good hunt for around here. But almost all other waterfowlers in America would be dismayed at what they saw. Nick gets it.

And TIS, you're right on about the weights.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Argue with the nail scales at the True Value Hardware store. :tongue: I believe them to be close to right. When I get pics back I will post so you can see how big they are. Some of the biggest I have killed anywhere. :welcome:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby dodman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 pm

I'd take consistent 9 goose days all day long, any day, especially if it was over water. I've def learned to appreciate what I get, and denigrating consistent goose limits is flat silly to me....and it doesn't matter to me what anyone else in America is doing, because I'm not there. :grooving:
dodman
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

DODMAN, maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Ooh ooh ooooh!! Pick me! PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME!!!!!!!! I'm craaaaaaaaazy interested in driving halfway across the state for the (slim) chance to shoot 3 geese!!!!1!!!
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby kahunna » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm

May want to check with a waterfowl biologist about those being "greater Canadas"...jus' sayin'.
kahunna
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 am

TIS, you won't get out of bed unless you can get limits of geese AND ducks. Sorry, no go. :fingerhead:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby dodman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 am

Shoot, I'd travel a little bit for a decent hunt...if anything, the variety of hitting different places in the state would be a blast. I grew up in Va Beach, but have also come up here all my life, so hitting any place between here and there would be pretty fun. 'Bout traveled out for now though...down there for Christmas, then the OBX, back home for the winter grind now.

Trade someone a Hokie hunt on the New sometime though (don't do it for the birds, but for the variety or you're up here already for something else) or SML stripers (you can really wack em out there when it's good, and it's a neat thing to experience if you're used to coastal striper fishing...busting fish or downrods burying into the water in a freshwater lake, sometimes within feet of someone's dock).
dodman
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 am

Well, after this mornings dissappointment, I hope it warms on up and blows from the South every day. Its no sense freezing things off of your body if you're not seeing a duck of any kind. In fact, they could close the season right now and add the remaining days on to next years season. :rolleyes:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby drake7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Saw a couple hundred ducks on a drainage pond right off 664 in Suffolk this morning. Must have been every duck in the county keeping that thing from freezing.
drake7
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:12 pm

The swamp is devoid of any bird today, I don't understand.... Those two ponds off 164?? Right at cedar lane just before the midtown tunnel has held 100s of ducks everyday.. Ducks everywhere on the Suffolk lakes, reckon all those corn fed domestic city bird mallards are spreading the word... I can understand the spells of warm weather and educated birds knowing to shy away from swamps and blinds but these New birds know the scoop too!
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:37 pm

i have put away most of the decoys and going to focus on trapping and a couple geese for the rest of the season.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 pm

they always find the safe holes :sad:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:16 pm

lbhansford wrote:i have put away most of the decoys and going to focus on trapping and a couple geese for the rest of the season.

wednesday will decide rather i hunt anymore, be in the 60s this weekend, fishing will be the order of the day
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:22 pm

I hope them safe holes freeze over tonight
Ducks27
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:Well, after this mornings dissappointment, I hope it warms on up and blows from the South every day. Its no sense freezing things off of your body if you're not seeing a duck of any kind. In fact, they could close the season right now and add the remaining days on to next years season. :rolleyes:

Now where were we, I.G., :huh:
Oh! remember-
Last season we began discussing the art of knitting Afghans . :yes:
How 'bout now- you interested? :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 pm

origami, and glueing skittles to the dogs ass so i can watch him chase his tail
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:23 am

imaduckin up north wrote:origami, and glueing skittles to the dogs ass so i can watch him chase his tail

:lol3: :clapping:
Sounds like fun!
I like watching water freeze too, it's a lot like watching grass grow when there's nuthin' else to do.
I like using my spare time wisely :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Islander Gunner » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:46 am

I'm all for knitting afgans hooked up to a 2-20 heat source! :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 am

dodman wrote:I'd take consistent 9 goose days all day long, any day, especially if it was over water. I've def learned to appreciate what I get, and denigrating consistent goose limits is flat silly to me....and it doesn't matter to me what anyone else in America is doing, because I'm not there. :grooving:

A buddy of mine was a serious trout bum here in the mountains. He went to Montana and said he stood in the river and said out loud "Ohhhhhh...THIS is what trout fishing is supposed to be like"

Another friend won't ski here anymore since he went to Utah.

One of my best friends went to TX and duck hunted for three days on public land that I have heard referred to on these forums as "a wasteland". They shot 5 man limits of gadwall, teal and widgeon. But no pintails or mallards or cans so the Texans weren't interested.

The point is, the Historic Atlantic Flyway is mostly devoid of ducks. Yes, you can shoot ducks and geese, but it is SOOO much better in many other parts of the country that it's just kind of silly.

It doesn't make you any less of a duck hunter. It just means that we don't have the numbers of ducks and we manage our state particularly poorly for waterfowl. That's all.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 am

Mudgun wrote:
dodman wrote:I'd take consistent 9 goose days all day long, any day, especially if it was over water. I've def learned to appreciate what I get, and denigrating consistent goose limits is flat silly to me....and it doesn't matter to me what anyone else in America is doing, because I'm not there. :grooving:

A buddy of mine was a serious trout bum here in the mountains. He went to Montana and said he stood in the river and said out loud "Ohhhhhh...THIS is what trout fishing is supposed to be like"

Another friend won't ski here anymore since he went to Utah.

One of my best friends went to TX and duck hunted for three days on public land that I have heard referred to on these forums as "a wasteland". They shot 5 man limits of gadwall, teal and widgeon. But no pintails or mallards or cans so the Texans weren't interested.

The point is, the Historic Atlantic Flyway is mostly devoid of ducks. Yes, you can shoot ducks and geese, but it is SOOO much better in many other parts of the country that it's just kind of silly.THIS IS PERFECT :beer:

It doesn't make you any less of a duck hunter. It just means that we don't have the numbers of ducks and we manage our state particularly poorly for waterfowl. That's all.
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting