Worse season in years

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Re: Worse season in years

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm

official hunting report from lake anna, dot dot dit dit dot dit
the lake was severely overcrowded with buffleheads im talking steady flights of 50 or more passing by, in other news we saw 4 mallards and got 2 of those. should have been 4 but on the first 2 trigger pulls my gun went click click. so im goin to change my name to imanotduckin up north no more. ive had enough, dont try and talk me out of it i quit :mad:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:official hunting report from lake anna, dot dot dit dit dot dit
the lake was severely overcrowded with buffleheads im talking steady flights of 50 or more passing by, in other news we saw 4 mallards and got 2 of those. should have been 4 but on the first 2 trigger pulls my gun went click click. so im goin to change my name to imanotduckin up north no more. ive had enough, dont try and talk me out of it i quit :mad:

I'd like to be on the list of people you send your "no longer needed equipment" list out to, please.
Willie
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 pm

hopefully i already have a deal in the works for my stuff
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:56 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:official hunting report from lake anna, dot dot dit dit dot dit

:sarcmark: :sarcmark: Oh,Oh, :eek: as is currently the case with 40 and 60 WATT incandescent bulbs :eek: ,gonna be a severe >"shortage"< of Skittles comin` to the Fredericksburg area soon :yes: :yes: :yes: .Not even goin`to mention supplies for origami... :no: :no:
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:22 pm

still trying to get the wife to let me glue some skittles on her :sarcmark:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:58 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:still trying to get the wife to let me glue some skittles on her :sarcmark:

:lol:
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby dodman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 am

I had meetings at work yesterday starting at 9am, but after all that insane weather who could resist checking out the impact?? Ah man, perfect storm just north and west of VA. Meetings aside, there was no way I could resist heading down to the river and my spots yesterday morning to check it out, and I imagine if you read these forums you know exactly what I'm taking about. Since I had a strict time to be at the office, I made myself get the work duds ready early, like 530am. Stumbled through shaving, grabbing a shower before I headed out half awake. Choked down some food, so all I had to do was get home, change, and get back out the door real quick. Had to break some ice getting downstream solo in the pitch black. Could only stay out there about an hour, and ended up about 10 mins late for the meetings.

So anyway, it was pretty much exactly the same as last week. :fingerhead: Screw it, just one more time being part of that beautiful river and its critters instead of just the office, etc. :tongue:
dodman
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:31 am

Heard yesterday there are lots of ducks west of Powhatan. Migration shift way west?
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:29 am

I have never seen as many mallards in my area as I have this year. With that being said, there are not hundreds of them, just more of them. The only place we have hunted them is in a dry corn field and a tiny farm pond and they just happen to be using the same places as the geese we hunt. For someone who was not raised hunting waterfowl, this has been great fun for me. This is something folks west of the Blue Ridge don't do that much. It has been a blast learning how to trick these birds into my decoys and I hope they stay around for a while. You are only granted so many days on this earth, so get out there and hunt :thumbsup:
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 am

11-87 Va wrote:I have never seen as many mallards in my area as I have this year. With that being said, there are not hundreds of them, just more of them. The only place we have hunted them is in a dry corn field and a tiny farm pond and they just happen to be using the same places as the geese we hunt. For someone who was not raised hunting waterfowl, this has been great fun for me. This is something folks west of the Blue Ridge don't do that much. It has been a blast learning how to trick these birds into my decoys and I hope they stay around for a while. You are only granted so many days on this earth, so get out there and hunt :thumbsup:

It's not just up in the mountains for there has been many mallards taken in my hunting grounds so far this season and in the past I would have to wait for ice and cold North and West for what I have been seeing . Maybe the farms of the rivers are using something on the crops to keep geese out of the fields and runoff is driving ducks out of the rivers , Works For Me .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:50 pm

I too have seen more mallards than ever. Like said not hundreds....just more than normal
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:17 pm

I can't explain it, but they started to show up some at the end of last season. The geese have been coming through for the last few years in small groups. Sometimes we will see big group of geese but mostly small. The ducks have been an added bonus. Very cautious birds so far.
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting