A question for the old school hunters.

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

A question for the old school hunters.

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:45 pm

How does a strong Southeast wind change your hunt? How the birds act? How do you change your decoys/calling? I had good play before this warm front and Saturday was horrible... Mallards had somewhere in mind they were moving east and wouldn't even circle. Any tips are appreciated as I want to be prepared for the next short sleeve late season hunt.

Btw I had out a jerk cord and 8 mallard decoys with 6 woodies set tight around a log in the water to the far left edge of gunning range from the blind.
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Re: A question for the old school hunters.

Postby Mudgun » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:44 am

If they didnt even look, they had a flight plan already. A lot of hunts that weve had "dialed in" that went bust were because a food source changed. A field got cut ten miles away or something.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Mudgun, this am I had 20-25 gadwall beeping and circling, 9 times in fact! Kept thinking the next time they'll cup up and commit but they ended up landing 100 yds from me... Didn't have much time so I went ahead and picked up dekes. On the way in I kicked a beaver gnawed stick and put a 3" gash in my wader boots, I wasn't happy, have had those waders 3.5 years, they were comfortable... It was in the rubber of the shin... Took em to a tire shop, the guy said he had done em before but the split was too bad. Any ideas?
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:14 pm

The moon plays apart in their habits also. They will move and feed on a bright full moon. The gadwall are like women, wishy washy. They gonna stool to you or they gonna go off a set on open water and just look at you.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting