Duck gear in NoVa

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Duck gear in NoVa

Postby Mike Diamond » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am

I used to live in Richmond. I was spoiled. I had Bass Pro and Green Top. So if I ever needed anything in a hurry (as in NOW), I could run up the road and get it.

Now I'm in Arlington. ****'s Sporting Goods is not going to have what I need.

Anyone know a sporting goods store up here that would have things like decoy string or weights, etc.?
Mike Diamond
hunter

Re: Duck gear in NoVa

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 am

theres a gander mountain in fredericksburg, thats the closest i know of
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 am

Yeah, I was in Orange the other day and stopped by that Gander on my way back. There used to be a Gander in Ashland. It closed and Green Top took over the space.

I thought maybe that was just a bad Gander Mt. After going in the Fredericksburg store I think they're all bad.

There's a Bass Pro about 40 miles from me at Arundel Mills, MD. But that would mean driving into Maryland. I'd rather spend my money in Virginia.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

The Wal Mart's down this way usually have some decoy line and weights...not sure about up there. Use cord/thin rope if in a pinch too.
Willie
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 pm

theres always rogers sporting goods online
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Mike Diamond wrote:I used to live in Richmond. I was spoiled. I had Bass Pro and Green Top. So if I ever needed anything in a hurry (as in NOW), I could run up the road and get it.

Anyone know a sporting goods store up here that would have things like decoy string or weights, etc.?

according to a comment from a salesman in dicks sporting goods , he said the corporate office claims theres no ducks in va to warrant having waterfowl gear
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Nuthin' in nova (wasteland)...Greentops or Chesapeake Outdoors on Kent Island in Maryland.
kahunna
hunter

Postby FLSpringer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Bass Pro at Arundel Mills isn't too bad a drive.
FLSpringer
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Mike Diamond wrote:I used to live in Richmond. I was spoiled. I had Bass Pro and Green Top. So if I ever needed anything in a hurry (as in NOW), I could run up the road and get it.

The ****'s in Sterling has some and same as the one in Fair Lakes. Worst case, there is/ was a sporting goods store in SoMD, I believe off 301 in/near Waldorf. Arlington is a HORRIBLE place to live for anything hunting/outdoors related.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 am

Some ****'s sporting good have a pretty good decoy selection while others have none. The ****'s in Short Pump Had two full rows of Decoys before Xmas. Pretty empty now. Looks like Green Top is restocking some of the stuff they were running low on.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby Seacowboy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:46 am

Fair Lakes is your best bet for ****'s but still quite limited selection, one in Baileys xRroads is horrible.
Seacowboy
Newb

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:59 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:

according to a comment from a salesman in dicks sporting goods , he said the corporate office claims theres no ducks in va to warrant having waterfowl gear

you really are that dumb eh :fingerhead:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Austin.Booth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:31 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:

That was probably the same salesman that offered to take take me on a guided hunt for $150. :clapping:
Austin.Booth
hunter

Postby Montauker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:55 am

Anglers on Route 50 in MD is a 35 minute drive from Clarendon in non-traffic conditions. Not great prices but fair enough for a local shop.

If you are ever in a real pinch pm me, I usually have 500ft of decoy line and 1-2 doz weights at the house at all times.
Montauker
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks Montauker and others for the suggestions.

Scruggs, Arlington is not horrible for anyone interested in the outdoors. I moved back here the end of August. I've hiked Great Falls and did a nice circuit hike with the Potomac Heritage Trail and C&O Canal. I've hunted ducks (not killed, hunted). I will hunt until February 15th. In the spring I will fish for shad, yellow perch and striped bass on the Potomac River. I will also fish for largemouth bass (and maybe snakeheads) all summer long. Next fall I'll get back to waterfowl, with some fishing thrown in. Nothing horrible about any of that.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Mike Diamond wrote:Thanks Montauker and others for the suggestions.

Scruggs, Arlington is not horrible for anyone interested in the outdoors. I moved back here the end of August. I've hiked Great Falls and did a nice circuit hike with the Potomac Heritage Trail and C&O Canal. I've hunted ducks (not killed, hunted). I will hunt until February 15th. In the spring I will fish for shad, yellow perch and striped bass on the Potomac River. I will also fish for largemouth bass (and maybe snakeheads) all summer long. Next fall I'll get back to waterfowl, with some fishing thrown in. Nothing horrible about any of that.

To clarify-

There are some good fishing holes up there near Chain Bridge and some other spots. I was only referring to the ability to purchase gear, unless you count REI.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

scruggs12 wrote:

To clarify-

There are some good fishing holes up there near Chain Bridge and some other spots. I was only referring to the ability to purchase gear, unless you count REI.

Ahhh. Got it. Yeah, slim pickings for shopping up here. I miss Galyan's.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 am

Mike Diamond wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

To clarify-

Ahhh. Got it. Yeah, slim pickings for shopping up here. I miss Galyan's.

Yes. That place was awesome. Dicks has really limited the hunting stuff they carry. Galyan's had it all.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting