noreaster

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

noreaster

Postby skimerhorn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am

Anybody think this storm and colder air up north will push us down some birds?
skimerhorn
hunter

Re: noreaster

Postby dukcommander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:34 am

Most definetly. Everything up north is freezing up and looks to stay that way :clapping:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:06 am

I sure hope so been a rough season.
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 am

What birds up north???

Just spent a bunch of time in Western Pa, and Western NY. Sure there were birds, but the migration did not stop there. The birds were using small flowages, and were very concentrated, however the whole regions were not blanketed with birds as some might imagine. The masses moved out prior to Christmas. Go further south!
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby skydog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:35 am

I think you mean go further west about 900 miles...
skydog
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

South, West, East...Makes no difference. Go elsewhere!
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby dodman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

In addition to the cold...and it's cooooolld north and west of VA, way cold...the snow line starts just above VA. I'd think pretty much everything's just about froze up or covered up. Howling NW winds last night and today. So I was really curious and just for fun I took off in the boat after work just to see the affect over here in the mountains. Froze my a** off, it was about 19 degrees. I saw like 6 birds. Then I asked myself for the billionth time why I duck hunt in the mountains. Why why why.

So anyway, prob be out there in the morning.

p.s. the geese poured over me heading back to the river, so there's that. :grooving: Now if I could just find where on the damn river they're hanging. :fingerhead:
dodman
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 am

Storm didn't push anything into my swamps.
#NoDucksInVa
The Confederate
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 am

im callin it quits after this year
especially for ducks, might cap a goose or 2 during sept
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:28 am

Selling anything? :yes:
The Confederate
hunter

Postby dodman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 am

There were more birds over here by VT this morning than I've seen over several trips the past month. I don't know if they're new, or if simply all the little ponds, creeks, and the lake got locked up, but no question there were more. Also seeing some bluebills, which we'll almost never see in the mountains until it's good and cold end of Jan and Feb.

Of course, up here "more" might mean a dozen instead of half a dozen. :tongue:

Well, other than the bufflehead. Ahh, bufflehead. Saved many a morning.
dodman
hunter

Postby bolt74 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:51 pm

I saw a lot more birds this morning than I have all year and saw my first canvasback's in the mountain's.
bolt74
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:50 pm

The Confederate wrote:Selling anything? :yes:

there will be an opportunity for a scissor blind, lots of decoys and gear after season goes out , but dont look for gifts
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

If you're in this sport to kill ducks, live inland, and struggled this week, it really is time to find a new hobby.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

It was miserable this morning. We didn't get much snow, but the wind finally lasted down last night late. Half the bay and all the guts were froze up, so I just knew we were gonna slaughter them. 9 degrees when we went out, but no wind.

We didn't even lift our guns. Saw a whole lot of nothing. But dammit it was cold.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388873536.105273.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388873557.020779.jpg
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby The Confederate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Not looking for gifts. Pm me about the scissor blind.
The Confederate
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:14 pm

You're looking rough assa. I didn't get cold this morning till I was in the deer stand. Thought my toes were frost bitten.
The Confederate
hunter

Postby dodman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 am

assateague wrote:It was miserable this morning. We didn't get much snow, but the wind finally lasted down last night late. Half the bay and all the guts were froze up, so I just knew we were gonna slaughter them. 9 degrees when we went out, but no wind.

:tongue: It was cold as SH*T. Had to be careful reaching down for my gun yesterday morning...if I had my gloves off and touched the receiver or barrel, pow my hand was stuck to it.

I did get my first quadruple though. I'd sat on the bank instead of in the boat this time, so I had the decoys in tight. I've barely shot at the bufflehead all season, but they were thick yesterday and blazing up and down the river. One group of about 25 came upstream, made a perfect u-turn above me, then came barreling straight back down the river at me...at that point you just knew they were gonna come right over the dekes at about 5'...they're bufflehead! I said, "to hell with it this time", and told myself to go for a double. They actually swung INSIDE the dekes with their feet dropped, and I had them cold at about 10 - 15 yards. What the heck you gonna do??! The second bird was down before they'd crossed the center of the decoys...I claim the first two shots, the third I'll go ahead and say was so-so, and I lay no claim to the fourth one that dropped. :tongue:

Watching 4 birds tumble into the water, one after the other, over about a second and a half and within 15 yards was pretty frappin neat, I gotta say. Bufflehead or not, made the cold worth it! :hammer:
dodman
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 am

Fairly disappointed. No new puddle ducks to speak of. Time to get the goose rig out or head south.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 am

If you think it is cold this week during the day take a 6 pm till 4 am shift ride with me. Wind, snow, rain, and Sleet overnight. And if you think this past week was cold wait till Monday pm thru Friday am. You get to see some REAL Cold. :bow: :eek:

BTW, Still hunting Monday!
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 pm

wow, surprised to see the dull reports from saturday. I saw more ducks than i've ever seen in the places I usually hunt. Tons of puddle ducks, mostly flying WAY up high in the sky. The fact that we had a bright sky ZERO wind didn't help pull the birds closer to the ground. There were a few groups of divers hanging around. Disappointingly few geese. We did get 2 gadwalls and a shoveler. Strangest bag I've ever seen for an open water blind. Usually more of a mallard/canvasback/bluebill spot.
va marsh rat
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting