Duck Hunting Forum banner

Swamp and Timber hunting help

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mallard Cutter 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, now that deer season is out my buddy is open to the idea of us duck hunting in his swamp located in Surry Va. All of my duck hunting has been in open marsh or sea duck hunting so the timber and swamp game is new to me. Any tips or advice would be helpful

Today we went out around lunchtime to see where we would thank about hunting and first stopped at a swamp. It had various ponds created by beaver dams and we jumped 6 wood ducks and a few mallards while in there. My question to this is would we expect to see more birds flying in during the morning or are the birds coming in there to lay down and feed for the day.

Second we stopped at a patch of flooded timber next to some power lines and a cutover. There was a nice opening in the timber that we found but no ducks were seen in there.

With this location would it be worth it to put some time in there compared to the timber ya'll are hunting. the flooded tract is about 100 yards wide and about 500 yards long.

Thanks in advance

#8 ·
Not sure other than make sure you have some motion in the water, a jerk string or take your foot and make some ripples in the water. Not really sure what your looking for help with? Do some scouting where you want to hunt at first light and see where the birds are, andwhich way they're heading.

#10 ·
skimerhorn said:
Not sure other than make sure you have some motion in the water, a jerk string or take your foot and make some ripples in the water. Not really sure what your looking for help with? Do some scouting where you want to hunt at first light and see where the birds are, andwhich way they're heading.
sorry the question came off difficult in my first post.
All the hunting i have done has been the birds coming at first light or before dusk to bunker down for the night.
Should i expect these birds to stay flying a little later into the morning.

Sorry guys, I know i shouldn't have to ask these questions if I had been scouting, I just havent had time to get over there and figure out what the birds are doing since this is the last week i can hunt. Just looking to see what i can expect from guys who hunt that way.

#12 ·
Get in there with plenty of time to setup and be ready for legal light because that's when your best opportunities for woodies will be, then wait for your mallards. Since it's a new hole, try and sit tight until 11 or so to see what happens. Weather this weekend looks like rain and overcast so ducks may be moving throughout the day. You won't need too many decoys but a jerk string would help. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.