Tundra Report

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Tundra Report

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 am

Hunted in the frozen tundra this morning, not many ducks, no geese and just a lone polar bear walking across the ice in the distance. Duck hunting around here...(well you know) :tongue:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Re: Tundra Report

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am

been trying for a couple years now to tell yall THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA :fingerpt:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am

Keep believing that come the return trip of birds in about a week or 2 , I'm hoping to get that drake pinner on the last day I have been seeing over the years .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Years ago, the colder it got, the more ducks you would see, not now. I believe more ducks pass thru here in October/November than any time of the year. There are ducks in Va. (just not when or where we can get to them). If this trend continues, waterfowling for the average person in these parts will be a thing of the past. Things have got to change: food supply, season change etc. for hunters to keep at waterfowling. Everything in this world revolves around big $$$. If you've got plenty of cash, you'll have no problem hunting waterfowl in Va. Just over 2 weeks left to hunt...go as much as you can or can stand, before you know it...it'll be out for another year.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Pump out your septic, pick up after your pet, keep your livestock away from the water, don't remove riparian vegetation. The trend for SAV in the lower bay for the past few years has not been good. Every bit adds up, and we need to reverse the decline to bring SAV (and ducks) back.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:50 pm

It appears You have
been indoctrinated by the CBF....in general, the bay water quality is better now than it has ever been. Pump out your septic, pick up dog crap.....come on :rolleyes:
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm

So with that logic, I can't eat raw oysters out of the creek I live on because of the Shellfish Grinch. SAV beds in my area have been declining for 4 straight years (documented by VIMS) because of the Eelgrass Bandit. Get real.

It appears you have no formal knowledge of the basic requirements of a functioning ecosystem. Oxygen, nursery areas, intact tropic webs. Much of the bay is an anoxic mudscape, does that sound to you like water quality is better than ever?
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Corn and possibly white bread seem to be the preferred food source in my area. Not sure SAV would do anything for me.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Im no biologist, but Im not blind....Ive seen more SAV including eel grass in the past 3 years than I have in the past 12. Enough now to wash up the mats of it on the beach like it did when I was a kid.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby drake7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 pm

If you don't think grass equals ducks, look at this report on back bay:

http://www.bbrf.org/images/Costanzo_Wat ... ck_Bay.pdf

There is a strong correlation between grasses and ducks. It's pretty obvious really, as grasses provide an enormous food source that's recurring year after year. If you think we can hold ducks in virginia with declining SAV beds, you're an idiot.
drake7
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm

A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting