Beaver pond question?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Beaver pond question?

Postby Jasonsfd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 pm

I hunt a beaver pond maybe 5-6 acres. It has some age to it, so the standing timber has fallen or dead. The ducks pile in at first light for about an hour or so and then it slows down. I have tried anything from a couple of decoys to a dozen with and without spinners. Had 2 good hunts and now I'm having a hard time getting the ducks in shooting distance. Need some advice. I have considered just hunting from the boat. Thanks
Jasonsfd
hunter

Re: Beaver pond question?

Postby skimerhorn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Have a end of they year blowout hunt, invite some friends and setup all around the pond. If people are scattered out enough, then someone will get a shot probably. Just a thought. :wink:
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Try setting a spread where you don't want them to go and set yourself on your X with nothing . If that don't feel right set the spread on the X and hang pie pans everywhere else .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Does the beaver pond have coontail in it? Has it settled to the bottom lately due to the cold? I think that's my problem... The past two years ducks get scarce late in the season. Poke around the swamp, maybe the next pond up ( I'm assuming its a chain of a few beaver ponds) set up the next am where you jumped em the day before. I know what your going through, I was counting 150-200 ducks each day and now I'm seeing 20-30 at first light and none are commiting, just circle two or three times.
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 am

corn
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:corn

Will ruin your hunting for ducks , anybody can kill them :eek: . I should have told you that I don't hunt Beaver ponds and my tricks works on a marsh where the hunter can see the sky above the water in a 5 Ac. area .
Poke around the swamp, maybe the next pond up ( I'm assuming its a chain of a few beaver ponds) set up the next am where you jumped em the day before. I know what your going through, I was counting 150-200 ducks each day and now I'm seeing 20-30 at first light and none are commiting, just circle two or three times.
Look for the birds flyway between the ponds and find that tall-big-wide-color-sticks out-tree or something that you see the birds using as a marker to the X's , could be you don't need decoys if you can wing shoot .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting