Duck Hunting Forum banner

Rappahannock's Decoy Annual Competition

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  goosesmacker 
#1 ·
March 15, 2014

The Rappahannock Decoy Carvers & Collectors Guild will have their annual carving competition on Saturday, March 15, 2014 next door to the firehouse hosting the Rappahannock River Waterfowl Show in Whitestone, VA. The Decoy Carvers and Collectors Guild will host the 2014 International Wildfowl Carvers Association's (IWCA) World Canvas Decoy Championship, the Rappahannock Gunning Decoy Championship and the World Buoy Body Championship. A wide variety of wildfowl carvings will be offered.

Admission to decoy contests only is free of charge. For more information visit: http://www.rrws.org.

#2 ·
Good stuff to be seen for sure but the fun really gets going when a decoy gets in the contest that you made . Once in the drink with the 6 eyes of the judges looking hard as the decoy rights itself and that lump forms in the back of your throat and that bead of sweat rolls down your back it's hits you like a ton of bricks that it's a lot more to this sport then just the kill . I hope to get two buoy body's in this year and sure hope some on here will give me a run for the ribbons :thumbsup: .

:beer: LD :beer:

PS:
This buoy decoy by Heck Rice is typical of Division A birds. Flat head, eyes optional.

Rules: Division A
1. Must be constructed of some type of float decoy, e.g., wood, cork, foam.
2. Decoy must retain the appearance of the buoy.
3. Head must be silhouette; eyes optional.
4. Painting must be simple. Size to be as close to life-like as buoy will allow.
5. Must self-right from any position and have an anchor line attachment.
6. May be covered with fabric; bills to have no details.

Rules: Division B
All rules of Division A apply except: 1. Head must be fully carved.
2. Painting can be more advanced and lower mandible may be carved.

Entry fees are just $10.00 for the first bird, $4.00 for each additional with a $45.00 cap. Youth class: $5.00 per entry.

For answers to questions, more details, and entry forms, contact Heck Rice, yellowdogdecoys@myway.com .

Then, find that old buoy out in the garage and get creative!

#4 ·
Mallard Cutter said:
I will be attending but won't enter any decoys. This will be my third year going and I have a great time each year !!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
MC, Many people who are not carvers have been enjoying this show for years. I've been going for years and never been disappointed.

In the past year, some members of this forum have posted pictures of decoys they have made. I hope they will have interest to enter their decoys into the Rappahannock Carvers Guild's contests.

#6 ·
I would say no for there isn't any room to have board feet laying around , that's not saying that you can't find a source for juniper lumber there .

:huh: LD :smile:

#7 ·
At the carvers' guild meeting the other day, some of the agendas discussed were the different classes and the contest. New for this year, is the Rappahannock Gunning decoy class. What's unique about this class is the decoy can be made from, a buoy, canvas, cork, foam or wood.

In the past year, some of you on have posted on here pictures of the decoys you have made. IMHO, those decoys are worth putting in the contest.

If you are interested, I have enclosed a hyperlink to the rules and entry form listed on the IWCA's website. If you have any question, contact Chuck or email Heck.

http://www.iwfca.com/rappannock-river-waterfowl-sho/

#10 ·
As long as you start with a buoy it's all good .

:smile: LD :wink:

#11 ·
Enclosed are some pictures of prior contests at White Stone and other events. Please take notice that there are two divisions of the buoy class decoys. The hole or part of the hole of the buoy must be visible on the decoy. From what I have been told it can be visible on the front or back.

The teal decoys you posted on here were good looking decoys. Hope you enter them this year!

If you have any questions, contact Heck or Chuck, their contact information is listed here:
http://www.iwfca.com/rappannock-river-waterfowl-sho/

If you have any doubts, email them a picture of your decoys. Your decoys may meet qualification of other categories as well.

#14 ·
On March 15, 2014, the Rappahannock River Decoy Carvers & Collectors Guild hosted their annual decoy carving contest in White Stone, VA in conjunction with the Rappahannock River Waterfowl Show. A lot of fun was had by many.

Participation at the White Stone contest has been on a steady incline becoming one of the most popular event in the country. This year there were over 370 entries from states; Alabama, Virginia, Florida, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Delaware, Carolinas, Idaho, Connecticut, Ohio, New Jersey, Georgia, and Maryland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.