Duck Hunting Forum banner

Canada

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  high flyer 
#1 ·
This year some friends and I are planning a trip to the peace river area in september. Does anyone have experience hunting over the boarder? Any obstacles we may run into with getting license's and what not? We plan to drive up with my camper and decoy rig. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

#3 ·
Don't take any handguns. Getting long guns into Canada is not a problem. Getting them back into the US can be. Go to your closest US Customs office and have them fill out one of their forms listing the firearms you will be taking. I forgot the name of the form, but it will come in handy. Canadian border agents were really cool......the US ones........not so much.

#5 ·
Ship your shotgun shells to your outfitter or a friend in the hunt area. Border agents get a little testy about ammo. Check to see if your area has an ammo allottment. Some places only allow 250 shells per person. Don't know if this is a law or an outfitters rule but I would check just in case. X2 on the handguns. Don't even think about it.

#6 ·
Yea, just call ahead before going. Call CDN customs about what you can and can't bring, call US customs about coming back, and call your outfitter about permits. It should be pretty quick. Read up on the gun laws in Canada too.. you'll need cases and locks for the guns, there are rules about how you can transport the gun and how you can store it in your vehicle...keep the gun on the down-low once you get across... and you'll be fine.

Mugz.

#11 ·
dwhipper61 said:
Don't take any handguns. Getting long guns into Canada is not a problem. Getting them back into the US can be. Go to your closest US Customs office and have them fill out one of their forms listing the firearms you will be taking. I forgot the name of the form, but it will come in handy. Canadian border agents were really cool......the US ones........not so much.
Scary but I guess not surprising that US customs officials would attempt to give US citizens a hard time about transporting their own legal guns back across the border

#12 ·
skydog said:
dwhipper61 said:
Scary but I guess not surprising that US customs officials would attempt to give US citizens a hard time about transporting their own legal guns back across the border
Sounds about right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
You can only take a certain amount of tobacco products across without paying a duty tax, same with alcohol. From what I've heard the Canadians laugh at our sissy American cigarettes. Never heard of a outfitter putting a limit on the amount of shells but you are only allowed to bring in 200 shells duty free. If you are gonna drive across you can fill out the gun forms at the border I believe. I've been going for about the last 10 years and it's really not that difficult get all the forms in order. We usually fly and I have only driven across once. A couple of the guys that are retired have driven several times and we have put cases of shells on the truck with them. They declare them at the border and are just charged a duty tax which from what I remember it was very reasonable. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

#16 ·
If you plan on buying shells in Canada, figure out where you will be able to. I'm not sure what it is like in other parts but a lot of times the nearest sporting goods retailer can be hours away from your hunts. I've been stuck making the drive hoping to make it the store before closing in the past... places like walmart and canadian tire only carry very limited stock, you'll be lucky if you get a box of steel from either. Find a Cabelas, bass pro, Le baron or sail... I'm sure there are a lot of other big names out west. These guys are the big sporting goods retailers and will have everything you might need. The little independents can be hit or miss for waterfowl gear and ammo...I am not sure what the rules are as a non-Canadian when it comes to buying ammo, as you don't have a Possession and Acquisition Permit ... maybe someone here can fill us in?

Good luck,

Mugz

#17 ·
You have to have you firearms declaration form with you to buy ammo. Anytime I have bought shells from a Canadian Tire or Walmart they write down your info and what your are buying from what I remember. I have never stopped in the Cabeles so I'm not sure but would assume they do the same. There is a small mom and pop type place near where we go and he usually stays well stocked on steel shot. Mostly stuff like Remington sportsmans, but that's all you need up there (I don't recall him ever asking for the permit). Don't go up there thinking you need Black Clouds or Blindsides or even 3 1/2's. The cheap stuff works great and my favorite loads are 3" 3's and 4's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.