Ice on Great Lakes

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Ice on Great Lakes

Postby Ducks27 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:15 pm

I read this on one of the news articles on the weather website

"The Great Lakes Are Still Almost Half Frozen, And It Could Affect The Environment For Years"

"The ice is also being blamed for an "unprecedented" number of duck deaths in the region and there is a risk of major disruptions to the fish ecosystem due to delayed egg laying, The Atlantic Cities reports."

read the Atlantic cities report said divers cant get through the ice.

Anyone know of a place to get more info about affects to duck pops up there and I wonder if it will affect the divers in our area next year
Ducks27
hunter

Re: Ice on Great Lakes

Postby fowl mouth » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm

read this somewhere as well. Also read that breeding conditions were optimal in the surrounding area due to the amount of water runoff. I feel like the birds would just sit further south if the conditions were that bad and they couldn't get open water. But no doubt I'm sure this winter killed off some naturally.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Every bit as reliable as crab forecasts.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 am

I was traveling through the Green Bay, WI area a few weeks ago and the farmers up there are saying the tundra is so deep this year that the ground may not be thawed in time to plant this Spring/Summer. They've had some warmer weather up there recently but if that is the case it could mean issues for waterfowl as well as probably some higher prices on most everything at the grocery store.
skydog
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting