Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to Virginia

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  handyandy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've had good luck in the past meeting people and making new friends from the forum when I've gone to knew places. Anyways I'm new to virginia currently gonna be at ft lee for the next few months won't be hear for duck season, but in the mean time like a lot of you guys I'm big fishermen. Would be great to talk to someone and maybe meet someone from around to go fishing with. To start with no I'm not trying to cyber scout someones secret honey hole or anything only here temporarly for the army, and would be good to make some friends while I'm here. I know the james river holds some nice cats and stripers any advice on what to do to get them would be great or if someone would like to try and get some with me that would be good. I'm ate about small mouth fishing too I've herd the upper and middle james river has some good smallie holes. I brought my boat and kayak with me and most my fishing gear so I'm not trying to mooch anyones stuff either. PM if you want to talk more or maybe go out floating on a river or out in the boat would just be nice to get to know the area someone from it. Already got my virginia fishing license for salt and fresh water was out on the appomattox river yesterday since it was near by and such a nice day I could resist getting out and trying to get a line wet. Got a few white perch and bass tried for catfish for a little while towards the end of the evening no such luck there.

#2 ·
Hey welcome Handy :welcome:

For someone who just got here, you've done better than I have by catching some White Perch this spring-
I couldn't catch one if they were in my bathtub starved to death :crying:

You should be picking up some big Blue Cats soon if not already, along with some Channel Cats in that section of the James.
Good luck to ya'. We had a "real" winter this winter here, so things should be picking up better and better each week. The Crappie bite has been pretty good for us in the last week.

#4 ·
thanks for the welcome. I've herd the blue cat fishing on the james is pretty good haven't gotten a chance to get out there yet probably gonna go this weekend. The two white perch I had weren't anything to write home about they were tiny. Been trying to read up on the blue cat fishing here as much as I can. Need to figure out where to get some bait been hearing that fresh shad or live eels is the way to go. Don't really have a good way of catching my own shad I've herd some bait shops have the live eels. Any way to catch them yourself?

#7 ·
been debating on buying a gill net or not as I'm only here till august and not sure how much use I'll get from it once I leave. May just go a head and do it as it seems the best way to get shad. Didn't have much luck this past weekend or the one before but two weekends ago managed 11 catfish on the james nothing big biggest was right at 12lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.