Underwater tree cutting?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Underwater tree cutting?

Postby Tanner Yak » Thu May 22, 2014 4:30 am

Any suggestions on cutting some submerged logs and stumps.

I hunt a mean swamp that is full of downed trees. The timber has been underwater for 50+ years and is solid. I have been dragging / pushing a flat bottom over stumps and logs with my sons in it to get to the spot but now on my 3rd knee surgery I am looking to solve the problem instead of going over it the hard way. I can't get a tractor close enough to drag or pull the stumps and logs.

I had thought of a pole saw attachment to a weed eater. I need to cut in a debt of 6 inches to 2 feet max.
Tanner Yak
hunter

Re: Underwater tree cutting?

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu May 22, 2014 6:46 am

you wont be able to cut underwater the saw will bind due to lack of lubricant and the teeth will dull fast
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am

imaduckin up north wrote:you wont be able to cut underwater the saw will bind due to lack of lubricant and the teeth will dull fast

Never had the above issues stated in the quote. As you may be aware of, it can get messy using a saw in water...LOL
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 am

I've cut with my saw a few times in the water. No issues...wear a bathing suit...you'll need it. :thumbsup:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 pm

You might want to try hooking up a come a long to a nearbt tree and using a cable or chain to drag the logs out of your way creating a path for your boat. May or may not work on the stumps. Give it a try and good luck. :thumbsup:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby Tanner Yak » Fri May 23, 2014 2:26 am

I will give it a go. Who knows might learn something?
Tanner Yak
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri May 23, 2014 7:09 am

Make a A frame so you can use a come a long to lift each end and 4 or more 55 GL drums to float the logs out . You might want to look into selling those logs .

:thumbsup: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Dont get bit. If you can recruit the muscle I'd recommend an actual saw blade for underwater cutting.Its just good to have a safer surer go to like a good handsaw or a dual crosscut saw that would work for sure but they are twice as dangerous. You wont be able to pull everything. If they are some nice logs and you can float them Out sell them.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:45 am

I used hydraulic underwater saws when diving years ago. Hung up my underwater work years ago so I don't have a contact for you.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting