Duck Hunting Forum banner

Jetting poles

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Islander Gunner 
#1 ·
Going to be building a blind and setting poles in sand. All of my other blinds are in mud so I have no experience doing this. What kind of pump/ jet or other equipment is needed?

#2 ·
A trash pump 20' of hose a 12 foot long 1 1/4 pipe and two elbows . put the hose on the pipe so the hose is inline with the pipe and smash the end of the pipe in the center so it looks like a 8 . put the end to the tip of pole and cut on pump , the pole should go on down . after a foot or so you will need to work pipe around pole while working the tip . Nail a 2x4 to pole at depth you want to stop at . Last pour sand or better yet crush and run around pole to set .

:wink: LD :yes:

#4 ·
Forget that , buy the blind license and build the blind , no need to make it anything more then a place to kill ducks .

:eek: LD :eek:

#5 ·
The pump system is the way to go for sinking poles a couple feet in a sandy bottom. Once the pole starts to sink, work the pipe around the pole. It is a whole lot easier if you have someone holding the pole in upright position while work the pipe around the pole.

Good luck with your project!

#7 ·
Handcuff said:
You may want to check both state and federal laws before stirring up the bottom of a waterway. When someone(s) does break one of these laws, the fine is quite large.
Duck blinds are an exempt activity when it comes to state owned bottom (VMRC) or wetlands (county wetlands ordinances). In fact, it takes more permitting and paperwork to install a single osprey platform on a piling than it does to build a 20x20 hotel duck blind.

I wouldn't want to put a duck blind on someone's active oyster grounds though. Not sure where the law is on that one.

#9 ·
An oyster lease, yep you will loose your blind cause the CPO will make you remove it. Speaking of such I heard some one is trying to lease all the bottom in Poquoson from marsh point to Plum tree, which would mean no duck blinds, clamming etc. Anyone else heard about that ? I think there was a petition started to stop them too.

#10 ·
When one lease oyster grounds all they get is the right to grow oysters on the bottom . They can't stop someone from anchoring on the shore , throwing crab pots on the shore , someone from building a dock on the grounds , nor can the stop a duck blind from being built .
Turn it around and look at it another way and you will see it has to be that way . I'm a waterman with oyster grounds in a real ducky creek , I want a riparian blind license :no: I'm a duck hunter that wants to build a blind off shore of a dummy blind , the oysterman gave me permission to hunt over his shore :no: I'm a rich land owner that has 5 dummy blinds but those duck hunters still wake me up shooting off shore of my 500 yards so now I will build on my oyster grounds 1000 yard off my shore to get some peace :no:
Anywhere a floating blind can legally hunt a non rip blind can be built and after all above I do believe the state should do away with stationary water blinds b/c of safety reasons .

:yes: LD :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.