Duck Hunting Forum banner

two guys fighting over stationary blind

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  cut-emnova 
#1 ·
What is the best way to find out exactly where someones property lines are? long story short, i went out to fix up one of my riparian blinds, and i found another riparian blind tag nailed to the front of my blind. the blind is really close to the property line of the neighboring hunt club, but i am 99.999 percent sure i build it on the property that i have permission to hunt. thanks guys!

#2 ·
The blind law guys will pipe in but...

I dont think anyone can tag an existing blind as their own.

If you legally build a non-riparian blind and next year riparian takes over - he has to build a new blind and notify VDGIF to have you remove yours.

IMO - he tagged your private property.

No clue how to settle property dispute w/ out surveyor / lawyers ....

#3 ·
You need a plat of the property lines, that'll tell ya what side the line the blinds on. Tax maps at local county office might have what you are looking for or call the owner of the property. Adjacent property owners can erect & license blinds on their shore or in the waters in front of the shore without regard to 500 yards of adjacent property owners blinds. Best thing is to get the number off the tag and call the GW, it might be some person that doesn't know the blind laws that put the tag on it. Your blind is private property and can not be tagged by some one unless you give them permission to do so. Good Luck! :smile:

#5 ·
i understand the blind laws and whatnot, but i guess what im trying to figure out is the best and most accurate map to decide whos side of the property the blind lays. the game warden hasnt been much help besides giving me the mans name and told me where he's from, but other than that i dont know what they are going to do about it. i recognize the mans name as he came up to the blind during the last week of the season to introduce himself. i dont know who would want to license a blind knowing that it was build by another guy and their buddies on a property that they got permission to hunt... but i guess thats the way this sport is nowadays :huh:

#8 ·
wvlippo said:
I wouldn't put to much into that "a blind is private property" idea anymore. Ask VA DGIF their opinion on that one now :fingerhead: .
its literally in the grass on the edge of the river, 10 feet from the high water mark.... i couldnt see that possibly being public property, plus the only people who can buy a blind tag right now are riparian owners or agents... so we are back to finding out which side of the property line the blind falls

#13 ·
Try this :

http://www.onlinegis.net/VaKingGeorge/

Unfortunately - King George GiS isn't as friendly as others I have used.

HAVE to have IE and windwos to make it work - Also have to install Active X control -

Others I have used allow satellite overlays, but I didnt play with it long enough to see if that feature is available. Might give you a closer look at the property line if you can find some terrain to identify with. Also most the GiS I have been on say they are for information purpose only - accuracy has been decent though.

If you can't get it working private msg your info on finding the lot and ill give you a few screen shots via the GiS software.

I hate to share all my cyber scouting tools but there ya go :)

#14 ·
First thing first , have you talked to the property owner that your blind is on to make sure the permission is still yours . Then go and mark where your 00,001 % idea where the property line is and take that blind tag off your blind and put it on a stick on the other side of the P.L. . This might end that problem but you might end up with a blind built next to you . Guess there is some reason you wanted to build your blind next to the line but if all else fails cut the up right poles and move you blind . There is no way I would leave someone's blind tag nailed to my blind :mad: I would remove it ASAP and deep six the dang thing so no one will find it . Check the GPS numbers to find out if DGIF has sold 2 blind tags for the same numbers , or that the other guy didn't put the tag or the right numbers .
its literally in the grass on the edge of the river, 10 feet from the high water mark..
The ten feet is above or below , is the blind on dry or wet grass , last do you go to the blind by boat or by land. I ask b/c the guy might think your blind is a non rip and a phone call could end this .
The county property tax maps has got to have a line going into the water , the online map may suck but the big tax map at the county clerk office will pin point .
I have got to ask is the hunt club a deer dog club , I ask b/c those members have to find something to do on Sundays for the coming season ?

:wink: LD :eek:

#15 ·
LEWDOG said:
cut-emnova said:
What is the best way to find out exactly where someones property lines are? long story short, i went out to fix up one of my riparian blinds, and i found another riparian blind tag nailed to the front of my blind. the blind is really close to the property line of the neighboring hunt club, but i am 99.999 percent sure i build it on the property that i have permission to hunt. thanks guys!
First thing first , have you talked to the property owner that your blind is on to make sure the permission is still yours . Then go and mark where your 00,001 % idea where the property line is and take that blind tag off your blind and put it on a stick on the other side of the P.L. . This might end that problem but you might end up with a blind built next to you . Guess there is some reason you wanted to build your blind next to the line but if all else fails cut the up right poles and move you blind . There is no way I would leave someone's blind tag nailed to my blind :mad: I would remove it ASAP and deep six the dang thing so no one will find it . Check the GPS numbers to find out if DGIF has sold 2 blind tags for the same numbers , or that the other guy didn't put the tag or the right numbers .
its literally in the grass on the edge of the river, 10 feet from the high water mark..
The ten feet is above or below , is the blind on dry or wet grass , last do you go to the blind by boat or by land. I ask b/c the guy might think your blind is a non rip and a phone call could end this .
The county property tax maps has got to have a line going into the water , the online map may suck but the big tax map at the county clerk office will pin point .
I have got to ask is the hunt club a deer dog club , I ask b/c those members have to find something to do on Sundays for the coming season ?

:wink: LD :eek:
Yes I have spoken with her and it is still mine. I met the man who licensed my blind last year and he told me he was in the hunt club... So I know it has nothing to do with the property owner. He left his license taped inside the blind so when I plugged in the gps numbers they were off by atleast 100 yards in the direction of the hunt club. It is 10 feet inland of the high water mark, but on wet grass. I typically go by truck but occasionally go by boat if toys going to be too muddy. I have been trying to reach him but can't locate a phone number. I believe the hunt club is a very private waterfowl club. What would you suggest I do if the game warden does not come back in contact with me. Thanks lewdog!

#16 ·
"Very private waterfowl club " sounds like money is being spent to keep birds coming to their side of the line and see you and your blind as someone out trying to shoot their birds and you are right it has nothing to do with land owners and or property lines . The blind laws are on your side and if it was me I would take the blind tag , the license and a letter telling the club and the owner of the tag that you are the riparian rights owner of land that Ms so and so owns and a copy of the blind laws , and post it on a stake on the right GPS numbers and go to the Game Warden and inform of your actions while showing the blind laws that have your back .
One can put a blind on the corner of the property line and stop all hunters other then the rip land owner and their permitted blind owners ( gps numbers they were off by atleast 100 yards in the direction of the hunt club.) but if that hunt club hunts with floaters you will never gain peace with them . Your blind is nailed to the GPS numbers this year , maybe give permission to the club members to hunt within your 500 yards would calm the waters ? Maybe buy a rip first time license for center of her property on the river edge this year build a blind and make the move in the 2015-2016 season or keep them both and invite me for a hunt :lol3: .

:huh: LD :smile:

#18 ·
No what I was trying to say is maybe moving away from a place that is getting shot up by the members one could get on some better shooting , a 100 yards isn't much and I did say
or keep them both , right ?

:smile: LD :yes:

#19 ·
LEWDOG said:
"Very private waterfowl club " sounds like money is being spent to keep birds coming to their side of the line and see you and your blind as someone out trying to shoot their birds and you are right it has nothing to do with land owners and or property lines . The blind laws are on your side and if it was me I would take the blind tag , the license and a letter telling the club and the owner of the tag that you are the riparian rights owner of land that Ms so and so owns and a copy of the blind laws , and post it on a stake on the right GPS numbers and go to the Game Warden and inform of your actions while showing the blind laws that have your back .
One can put a blind on the corner of the property line and stop all hunters other then the rip land owner and their permitted blind owners ( gps numbers they were off by atleast 100 yards in the direction of the hunt club.) but if that hunt club hunts with floaters you will never gain peace with them . Your blind is nailed to the GPS numbers this year , maybe give permission to the club members to hunt within your 500 yards would calm the waters ? Maybe buy a rip first time license for center of her property on the river edge this year build a blind and make the move in the 2015-2016 season or keep them both and invite me for a hunt :lol3: .

:huh: LD :smile:
You are right, there is definitely money being spent with keeping birds over there, but it works to my favor because as a neighboring property, we always scratch out limits of birds working their marshes. The funny thing is I hunt and guide 100 days a year, and have never even heard a gunshot while hunting this blind. I have only had one encounter with these club members and it was the man who licensed my blind on the last week of the season. And we always have room for more hunters, send me a pm and you are welcome to come along for a hunt or two!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.