Duck Hunting Forum banner

Back Bay public hunting

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Willie 
#1 ·
Looks like all blind stakes will be part of the number system this year including teal and October season. I guess all the people camping out and loading up the marsh and the subsequent grumbling got this changed. No more free for all out there

#2 ·
The quota hunt system sucks and Back bay has been the lost world for a long time IMO . Sorry for the lost but it won't be missed by me .

:sad: LD :eek:

#3 ·
That's sad that it went that way because i preferred the free for all way for early season. I had no problem getting up early to get a good spot. You can bet it was the guys hitting the marsh 30 minutes before shooting light that did all the crying.

All i can say is i am glad i am moving back to FL permanently come October 6th. No more blind laws and Back Bay's draw system to deal with ever again. Ya'll enjoy it! :grooving:

#4 ·
Ichabod97 said:
That's sad that it went that way because i preferred the free for all way for early season. I had no problem getting up early to get a good spot. You can bet it was the guys hitting the marsh 30 minutes before shooting light that did all the crying.

All i can say is i am glad i am moving back to FL permanently come October 6th. No more blind laws and Back Bay's draw system to deal with ever again. Ya'll enjoy it! :grooving:
I used to own a house in Vero Beach, I wish I was duck hunting back then. I did enjoy some prime bass fishing @ Stick Marsh/Farm 13

#5 ·
Fortunately It doesnt effect me much, I only hunted there once last year during october season. One of my good buddies is in a hunt club down there and he isnt happy. I think every public place in VA and NC will be a permit of some type before too long no more free for all. The downside being it restricts places the upside being it will help regulate areas and keep the knuckleheads in line. I guess since we cant govern ourselves we have to let someone else govern us. :no:

#7 ·
It does kind of piss me off on how this state runs duck hunting. With everything on a draw or permit, the retarded blind laws and locked up PUBLIC waterways with private blinds makes it almost impossible for new people to the sport and comehere's to get out and have a successful hunt. I know if I had a high number for a draw on BB, I didn't bother going there. I then had to rely on either a lease or a buddy that had room for another hunter. Gets old.

#8 ·
Ichabod97 said:
It does kind of piss me off on how this state runs duck hunting. With everything on a draw or permit, the retarded blind laws and locked up PUBLIC waterways with private blinds makes it almost impossible for new people to the sport and comehere's to get out and have a successful hunt. I know if I had a high number for a draw on BB, I didn't bother going there. I then had to rely on either a lease or a buddy that had room for another hunter. Gets old.
I agree Nick. Its a shame but its part of the deal to duck hunt in NC and VA. Unfortunately, laws like the early season and october season now being part of the draw or strict blind laws are here to protect us from ourselves. You know there are birds to be killed here, but so much is wrapped up and legislated its tough to both find somewhere to go and enjoy it at the same time.

#9 ·
I can understand the need for the permits , laws , licenses and yes the gambling for hunts , for without them the hunt would be over before it starts due to over hunting . It is a shame that back bay is anywhere near Cities , military bases , and at the northern end of the best dang duck hunting on this side of the USA , but it is and is the lost world or should I say waters of the 7 cities with no county back bone .
Most don't get that the quota hunt system is nothing more then a spot of earth that the "have not" hunters can call their own for a few hours . I was one of those that felt that a DGIF hunts was suppose to a hunt at duck city where all I needed to do is point and shoot a limit before heading back home to talk :censored: to my hunting buddies . Then came the QH system and away went the blind , boat , and decoys hunts that one had to show up for the draw at o dark thirty the day of the hunt . For me the light started shining when Doe Creek quota hunt came to be over in the middle of nowhere Eastern Shore .
Times are changing and thanks to dad I live in a place that makes me a have hunter and I don't need to do the quota hunt BS dance .
Just like blind laws the QHS is here to stay and leave the quota hunts to the have not's .

:smile: LD :yes:

#10 ·
I agree the quota hunt system is not going away, and it can be a good thing. My biggest complaint about it here is that you have to pay for each one you apply for whether or not you win a permit or not! Back Bay i understand, you get a number, so if you must make it a pay thing, that i would pay for. I don't put in for near the amount of quota hunts here as i do in FL. FL has it right...most quota hunts are free, and the couple you do have to pay for, you pay only if you are awarded one. Leave it to the greedy state of VA to make a buck off of everything they can and still have crappy boat ramps and facilities at the WMA's.

#11 ·
I perosnally dont mind the drawing to have a small charge for each. I see it as a lottery and if you win great if you loose you are only out a few bucks. Most draws I go in for are only 5 bucks. Its really just a drop in the bucket for what you spend on duck hunting each year.

#12 ·
The DGIF doesn't make anything on the quota hunts. They are outsourced to the low bidder. Cheaper than paying state workers wages, compensation, etc. The draw for BB early seasons was a long time coming. Each season hunters upped the anty a little more. Tough to get up early enough when people are "reserving" spots the evening before. Plenty of locations in SE Virginia to floatblind / freelance. You can bellyache all you want about Doe Creek but it now exists for public waterfowlers in perpetuity and it is only entering its second year in the state system. It'll get there. You can always drive 25 miles north and hunt Saxis or stay low and hunt Mockhorn or any of the other bizillions of acres of e-shore public seaside marsh.

#15 ·
K , we all know that Va. beach is where BB is at and I call it the lost world but really there are no good safe spots to hunt waterfowl from a shoreline in any of the 7 cities and each are part of the lost world known to all as Tidewater .
Deadrise, discusstions on a public hunting board is a great place to bellyache , feel free to change a opinion .
1) The DGIF doesn't make anything on the quota hunts. Doesn't make any sense b/c hard to do work without funds
2) They are outsourced to the low bidder..Cool so now all is needed to stay within the state and add a buck to come back the the WMA that made it
3) The draw for BB early seasons was a long time coming..Sure it was b/c once a dog gets a taste for blood it's hard to get it off the hunt .So is that for Snow Goose as well or is it now b/c of the question ?
4) Tough to get up early enough when people are "reserving" spots the evening before..seem like a DGIF Board Meeting could take care of that problem .
5) Plenty of locations in SE Virginia to floatblind / freelance.. Yep but we are talking about public land and a crap shoot for a chance to hunt it
6) You can bellyache all you want about Doe Creek but it now exists for public waterfowlers in perpetuity and it is only entering its second year in the state system. It'll get there. You can always drive 25 miles north and hunt Saxis or stay low and hunt Mockhorn or any of the other bizillions of acres of e-shore public seaside marsh.That's me , my whole life I have been going over there and foot hunt saxis and get me a black duck but anything else one must have a boat and a set of rocks to head of into those waters without someone knowing where you are heading and when look for you to return
The road I'm going to take is to leave the quota hunts to people that has nothing else , it'll keep money in my pocket and help someone's chances

:smile: LD :wink:

#16 ·
Ichabod97 said:
I agree the quota hunt system is not going away, and it can be a good thing. My biggest complaint about it here is that you have to pay for each one you apply for whether or not you win a permit or not! Back Bay i understand, you get a number, so if you must make it a pay thing, that i would pay for. I don't put in for near the amount of quota hunts here as i do in FL. FL has it right...most quota hunts are free, and the couple you do have to pay for, you pay only if you are awarded one. Leave it to the greedy state of VA to make a buck off of everything they can and still have crappy boat ramps and facilities at the WMA's.
It's the same in NC too...paying the $5 for a chance at a draw hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.