3" vs. 3 1/2"

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

3" vs. 3 1/2"

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:25 pm

The post on the Browning brought to mind all the 'to do' about the 3 1/2" guns. yes ,I own one and am satisfied with it .....wondering how you guys feel about the "big gun" or do you still think the good old 3" is the gun to shoot fowl with.
I have a 3 1/2" Rem "trombone" that I use and with hevishot it is the cats behind :salude: But I got the gun because of hunting on "de shore" and alot of my birds are 'out aways". Just wondering what you guys think :cool:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:15 pm

I say if you are going to shoot 3 1/2 shells then do it right and get a 10 ga. , not only are they long they are fat too .
The way I see it a gun pattern is going to remain the same and the bigger shell is only going to put more shot in the pattern , which will only tear up a dead bird . Last , the shells are longer and most hunting vest and shell holders aren't made to carry them and one of two things is bound to happen . 1. the shells will fall out and be lost and or 2. the brass of the shells will flare every bird that comes near .
Cut the ten gauge and eastern shore have been hunting together a long Long time .

:thumbsdown: LD :thumbsdown:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby VARINA » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm

Cut,
Here is my 2 cents:

I have had five 3.5" shotguns, I now own two. I have been very satisfied using the 3.5 " the last 12 years. As a prior 10ga. owner, the 10ga. is no comparison to a 3.5" 12ga.

LewDog:
You can not swing a 10ga. as fast as you can swing a 3.5" 12ga.
The 12ga. weighs less than a 10ga.
I am using the 3.5" to harvest ducks & geese at 40-50 yards.
I have not had a problem tearing up the birds.
I do not use an aftermarket chokes for my 3.5" shotuns.
I have never had a problem losing shells and think about. If the birds flare fom the brass, you are not properly concealing yourself.

LD, I can only speak for my experience. The Mossberg kicks harder than the Remington & Benelli shotguns. That is why I sold the two 835's I use to own.

Cut, I have a hunting buddy who purchased a Mossberg, because he didn't want to pay an extra $20 for the Benelli Nova. Well, he didn't keep the Mossberg very long.
VARINA
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:43 pm

My bad , I should have left out the 10 ga. stuff the question didn't ask about them .
a gun pattern is going to remain the same and the bigger shell is only going to put more shot in the pattern , which will only tear up a dead bird
Sure if all of your shots are 40 to 50 yards you won't tear up the birds but take a shot at a 20 to 30 yard bird and try to eat it .
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to pass on a 40 to 60 yard shot but more times then not the bird will come back closer . Give me a 3" # 4 hevi-shot and I will be just fine at 0 to 60 yards , I may have to use the edge of my pattern for those first 20 yards .

:hammering: LD :hammering:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby blkdux » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:21 am

Since we are talking about the 3 1/2 I can put some comments here. I have owned three and still own one. It sits in the closet all by it's self. I can see a little use with turkeys and geese with large shot. But you can only put but so much powder in a 12 guage shell. It does not matter how long it is. I have never had a problem with 3 inch shells to about 30 yards. If you need to go further hevi-shot will solve the problem. I guess it is a personal question. It works for some and not for others.
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:38 pm

I agree BD, some of my hunting is on the shore and that means "some pass" shooting. A day of shooting decoying ducks ..at close range is not the norm there so you better be able to reach out and touch um :eek: but around here I will use my 3" as it will do just about anything I ask it too! :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting