James River near Lynchburg

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

James River near Lynchburg

Postby Rede1k » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 am

Hello to all I am the quintessential Nebus Delecti :rofl: I did a little Goose and Duck hunting as a kid growing up on the Eastern Shore of MD. I am now living in VA near Lynchburg in Amherst county. Outside of Deer and Turkey it doesn't seem that many people are interested in hunting anything else around here. I haven't seen much of anyone doing any kind of waterfowl hunting. I live a couple hundred yards off of the James and have seen enough to know there has to be some decent Goose and Duck hunting here. Does anyone know of some good spots? I called the local WMA and they stated they would not be flooding the fields this year due to the low water levels etc. Is there anyone out there looking for a hunting partner. Even though I am a newbie I do offer some added value in that I am the proud owner of a Chessie that is in finishing school and will be ready to hit the water/fields in November :grooving: I am really looking to find some local like minded hunters if there are any out there. I hunt dove, quail and upland in general, coyote, fox, deer, turkey, squirrel etc currently and have the FEVER BAD to get back into Goose and Duck :help:
Rede1k
Newb

Postby Mudgun » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 am

Buy a small jon boat or a good canoe. When the ponds freeze in Central Virginia, the birds hit the river in droves. It will be cold, wet, dangerous and possibly rewarding. Hiding amongst the rocks in a rapid is a great way to kill geese. The ducks tend to favor the eddys on the downstream side of an island. Also, sandbars are a great loafing spot for birds. Check for feathers and droppings on the bars.

As for the WMA, were you referring to the James River WMA in Nelson? If that's the reason the VDGIF gave, what a bunch of crap-o-la. Lynchburg can draw 70% of its water from the James, Tenasco and Bremo Power can draw all the water they need, but we can't fill a little pond? That's a bunch of hooey. :thumbsdown:
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Rede1k » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:41 pm

Yep the James River WMA. I have called them for the last 8 months. They said to call back in September which I did and they said because of the water situation they would not be flooding the fields this year. I thought the same thing ....the water is coming out of the river so what is the big deal. Who knows......I do know that behind my house on the river there is an Island and when I have taken my Chessie there to train the Geese are loaded in there. I haven't done my homework on the duck situation yet because I work out of town so much. That island looks like a key place. I just have never hunted a river before and not sure how to set up or set up decoys etc. One day I might find someone local that is interested in something other than Deer and Turkey that could take me under their wing so to speak and teach me the ropes of River hunting. I mostly spent my younger days in fields and on the Bay. I am totally new to the idea of River hunting but I know there has to be some good hunting there because of what I have seen. It is just SOOOOO hard to find land or waterfowl hunters here. Land owners think your going to go after their Deer and waterfowl hunters for the most part are few and far between out here. Oh well thanks for responding and hopefully I can post a few pictures one day soon of my successes or failures LOL.
Rede1k
Newb

Postby Deeks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 am

Rede1k wrote: waterfowl hunters for the most part are few and far between out here....

Come up to Northern VA and try to hunt around the Potomac if you want to see other waterfowlers, now if you want a place to hunt up here thats another story.... :thumbsdown:

Keep asking around you'll find some like minded fellas in your area. I wish I had the same problem with not enough waterfowlers around, lol.

:welcome: to the site
Deeks
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:53 am

All of the islands on the James are private property. Most islands aren't posted and the landowners don't care if you set up and hunt. That doesn't mean this is the case where you are. If it's near where you live, it shouldn't be too hard to find out who owns it. Ask if you can train your duck dog on the island. If that's fine, ask if they would mind if you shot a goose or two. Most people could care less about geese here.
As for the WMA, typical hooey. :huh:
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Gaston » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:07 pm

I got a BS at Lynchburg College and spent a fair amount of hunting time on the James within those 4 years. I had good luck early with teal, woodies, a few mallards and an occassional goose (remember back in the late 80's the geese weren't as plentiful as now). Had times I got a few gadwall and a pintail or so later in the year. Most all I did was above the Kushaw dam at 501 in the deeper water areas or just on calm areas off the sides of the river. Not always limits, but at times wasn't that bad either.
Let me show you how to kill um...
Gaston
hunter

Duck Hunting Near Lynchburg

Postby spkeyo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 am

Hey there, while I was searching out spots near Lynchburg I foundthis website and your post. I grew up in Lynchburg and didnt get into waterfowling until college where I did most of my hunting on the New River. Like you, I agree there is somewhat of a focus on deer/turkey rather than ducks and geese. I also enjoy upland game hunting and have a 2 year old springer spaniel, Winston, who is pretty good retrieving from the banks and will flush birds all day long. I'm serious about getting about hunting the James this winter. I've talked to my brother about getting out around Thanksgiving. I'd be thrilled to have some other company and possibly share more hunts.

Spencer Abingdon, Va
spkeyo
Newb

Postby G3 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 am

Also a newbie to the site, I'm around the Danville area. I've had duck fever for 12-15 years and always make one or two trips a year to Currituck NC for treatments. I usually deer hunt November then turn the switch to duck in December. The wife & I have a place on Buggs Island (Kerr reservoir) and I've found a few ducks down there. I've got the dekes and boat if you've got the dog.
G3
hunter

Postby G3 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 am

Also a newbie to the site, I'm around the Danville area. I've had duck fever for 12-15 years and always make one or two trips a year to Currituck NC for treatments. I usually deer hunt November then turn the switch to duck in December. The wife & I have a place on Buggs Island (Kerr reservoir) and I've found a few ducks down there. I've got the dekes and boat if you've got the dog.
G3
hunter

Postby phishbum » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Where on the Eastern Shore are you from? I'm a Chestertown transplant, myself.

Edit - Just realized this was an older thread...
phishbum
hunter

Postby Deerhunter19 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 pm

I am new to the whole duck hunting thing, but have been looking for some spots to hunt. I live in Roanoke so send me a pm sometime Rede1k. I do have some spots picked out on the New River that look promising for some geese.
Deerhunter19
hunter

Almost there

Postby Rede1k » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Ok I am now one step closer to this reality. I found a real sweet deal on a Jon boat and outboard. The boat is ready to go all camo'd up too. A little blurlap or camo netting and it will be perfect. So the area has been cased the boat and dog are just about ready. Now for the 24 thousand dollar question. Decoys.....I have done a pile of research and have pretty much decided on G&H decoys and maybe some GHG in between. That being said what is a good combo layout? Should I get all Mallards? Should I get all Geese and a pod of Mallards yada yada yada. I read Ducks will come to geese decoys but not the other way around. Should I just squash the idea of combo and decide up front to hunt Geese one day and duck the other etc. I know this will open up a huge debate so please before the fireworks begin on who's decoys are best or the best layout etc you are dealing with a newbie here trying to cut his teeth. I don't need the pro version of the art of water fowling. I want to see some action and get some shots off and learn. In short I just want to enjoy myself and have some fun and blow off the weeks work headaches. I am not going to end up on a hunting show somewhere talking about how many years I have been doing it or how many bands I have taken etc. So please go easy on me. Thanks to all.
Rede1k
Newb

Postby Tommy Bananas » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm

rede1k I also am new to the whole river hunting as i have just moved here from michigan and live in roanoke but work in lynchburg for the railroad and have made many trips down the river and have found some good places to hunt. was wondering where at lynchburg where u live on the river??
If it flies it dies!!
Tommy Bananas
Newb

Postby Mudgun » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:43 am

Get 6 goose floaters with flocked heads. 6 full bodies with flocked heads. Get a dozen mallard decoys either GHG or G&H. If the birds are coming up the river which is pretty typical, put the goose decoys downstream from the duck decoys. Geese will fly over geese but usually skirt ducks. Ducks will fly over geese. At least that's my experience.
Mudgun
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:09 am

For the money I would say GHG dekes are very good. Duck and goose. Good luck.
K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Re: James River near Lynchburg

Postby Oms79 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Is there anyone out there that is still looking for someone to hunt with in amherst county?
Oms79
Newb

Postby kahunna » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:22 pm

After eight years, I think they've all probably moved on...maybe not?
kahunna
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Eight? A little off. But after five I'm sure they still have moved on.
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting