Ways to make this a fun place to talk duck????

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Ways to make this a fun place to talk duck????

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:11 pm

Just wondering if ya'll can think of some ways we can have some fun on this site. I'm sure you guys have all kinds of ideas. I'd like to think we could have a hopping site, one that folks just had to join in on! Any ideas or suggestion...
You guys know me, I like to talk bout dem ducks :getdown:

Lets make it a great place to hang out
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:44 pm

why dont we have some sore of challenge. like most geese in the early season or ducks or get everyone to post pics of kills

and even set up a post to share where the ducks are
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby blkdux » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 pm

You know the funny thing about a contest. When you make a wadger or friendly bet that will be the end of your birds. Ben there done that. But what could it hurt. The other funny thing about contests is when you go into it expecting nothing great things can happen! :thumbsup:
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Not trying to 'put down ' any ideas ...It's my experience that contest of that nature also create 'trash talking" and somehow or another, one guy gets mad and then everybody gets to complaining, you know the drill :thumbsdown: ., Some guys have a lot better spots and some hunt harder/more often than others. As you know we really are not on an even playing field, in plsces to hunt or experience :help:
I was think more in the lines of get togethers. Hang time, scouting trips, swap hunts anything that wold be fun and pull us together , not apart. It's just a thought :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby blkdux » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Not a bad idea since we seem to live sort of close to each other. Most of my spots heat up mid to late season. But since everyone has a boat we could take a day or two trip to the shore. Nice hotel right over the bridge and most of the time good hunting. With more than one boat you can keep the birds moving and everyone will have fun. Let me know what yall think.
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:15 pm

sounds great guys, count me and duksndeerhntr in. Lets plan a few trips together. The Shore sounds great.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:12 pm

Guys , I've been spending as much time as I can over on the shore"Kiptopeake S.P." messing around and trying to get a grip on the fowling . I too am planning on hitting the lower end this season. It's going be a learning curve but I'm all for "road trips" Not only the shore but maybe .. Gaston, "anywhere" ,"everywhere". :salude:
Also, we had a camping trip at the parK... Another forum, :thumbsdown: we fowlers got together, had a big feed and talked duck all weekend..... Don't know if you guys are into camping does not have to be camping, (could be skeet) :laughing: I do know you are willing to talk duck :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Just another thought, I go over a time or two to hunt with Andy Linton, one of the Judges at the calling contest :thumbsup: Just thinking about all of us going over for a guided hunt, duck/goose, don't have to use him but ...he's good. Anyway, just a time to get together goof off and pull de triger too.
OR, maybe go and have a snowgoose hunt. Maybe Maryland as I've never really slayed them on the shore. Again, just a chance to do something as a group and it's only a thought :salude:
cut

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby duksndeerhntr » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:42 am

this trip sounds like a lot of fun all i need is a date and a price and you can count me in.
git-r-done PG styles
duksndeerhntr
hunter

Postby VARINA » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:09 am

Good idea Cut_Un,
Andy is one heck of a good person to go with. Don't forget Grayson Chesser.
VARINA
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:34 pm

Guys, what do would you want to hunt, ducks, ducks and geese or snow geese.????? Andy will be glad to do anything we want but he will not book any hunts til the the dates are set. As I said, we don't have to de the shore, we can head north, east south of west....... The hunting is good any direction we go :salude: and old cut-un is game too

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:47 pm

Count me in on whatever y'uall go with . With that said why not do some specialize hunts , like this teal season coming up . Plan 4 hunts across the eastside of Va. and let's find out where these birds like to fly through Va. at . The teal season is 10 days long (Sept. 15 - Sept. 24 East of I-95) They say that they set the days doing the time that the birds are moving through the state , so all we need to do is to pick the locations and pull our decoys together before hand . Something like this : Eastern shore Ocean side in the AM & Bay side in the PM Sept. 15 , Mathews bayside AM & Mathews North river in the PM Sept. 17 , York river mouth in the AM & York river in Westpoint in the PM Sept 19 , James River Surry in the AM and James river Hopewell in the PM Sept. 21 . Then that leaves Sept. 23 & 24 to go back to the best spot for teal .

Then we could do the same thing with Pintails , Canvasback and Snow Geese .

:hammering: LD :hammering:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:20 pm

***I like LewDogs idea. havent really seen many teal in my area. But we might be able to bag a goose or two

like i said count me in. Today i was on vdgif and saw that hog island is open to hunt for sept goose season. And the teal season too. Why dont we plan on going down there to hunt sept 17 me and ducksndeer are down with it. who else would like too. Plus does anyone know if there are a good amount of geese down there. Plus we might bag a teal or two.

Lets get a count on this!!!
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Like I said, I like it when a plan comes together... and it sounds like a plan to me :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:54 pm

WOW i got so excited that i forgot to check my calender!!! I have EMT class that day. I had to take this class now so that i will be free durning January when the hunting is really good. Would anyone still be interested if we did it on the 10 or 24. either is fine with me.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 pm

Guys, I'm all for the plan, the only question :cool: is on any given hunt, we will have several boats, I guess we could pair up, like in the fishing terns. A boat owner paired with a nonboat owner, sooo say lewdog would not have to drag floater all the way to Richmond, he would hunt with me (or a local). I'm just thinking about how hard it is to get a floater into "the spot" on the james or Chick. I guess with some org. and a local ,or a couple of locals planning the hunt in there home waters.... it could work :salude: Sorry guys , mind is in overdrive, thinking about details. But ,bottom line, on any given day, it would be neat to get to hunt with one of "de boys" on a piece of there water, almost like a fishing club :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting