Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Virginia Duck hunter

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cut_un 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just moved to virginia beach. i grew up hunting the same swamps and honey holes my dad and his dad hunted, so i never had to worry about where to hunt. now i live in the city and am screwed in this way. i have a 17ft deep v boat, a few dozen mallard and blue bill decoys, and an aresenal of firearms. i'm only missing a place to hunt. can anyone recomend any public hunting opps that are available? this year i have resigned myself to going on guided hunts, but it kills me to do it.
help the new guy please:)

#2 ·
Hey buddy, welcome to Va. and welcome to the Va. site. We are into 'talkin ducks" on this thing, so join in.
I for one do not know very much about that part of the state :cool: But.... I do know two things, we have plenty duck hunters in your area ,sooooo it's just a matter of time before you hook up with them. We have a couple of Waterfowl Ass. working for your ducks and hunting locations. 1) Va. Waterfowlers Ass. 2) Delta Waterfowl, Both are working hard to see that we have ducks and places to hunt. If you are not a member of one or both, I hope you will join the ranks of Local people that care!!!! You have two prime spots close to home. Back Bay and the Eastern Shore. Both can be great but you will have to learn the ropes on both!
Good Luck and join in on 'de Fun", we love talkin bout dem ducks! :welcome:
Cut_un

#3 ·
Aww VA beach. Lets see. Thats actually a good place. You arent very far from the Eastern Shore which offers GREAT waterfowl hunting. There are plenty of public waters to hunt over there. The thing to do is go scouting go scouting, and go scouting. Call 757-331-2760 for info on the eastern shore. Thats the number for the dept of GIF. You are also near back bay and Princess Anne. These are both great public waters. But you need to go scouting and get to know the area very well. Hope this has helped you. GOOD LUCK

#4 ·
Welcome to the Hampton Roads area, I went throught the same thing last year, moved to Chesapeake from Rhode Island and was surprised at the limited access to hunting for the avid waterfowler. With a little research and lots of scouting you will get some fine shooting in. I hunted Mockhorn Island on the eastern shore several times after recommendations from some of the member's here, and didn't do that bad. spend some time in the Back bay and Princess Anne WMA scouting and getting to know the layout of the stakes and blinds now instead of opening day. Use a GPS for sure, Best of luck, maybe we will hook up for a trip..... Mike

#5 ·
See buddy, things are already startin to come together for you!. As I said, you are in the heart of duck city down your way. I know it's a $12.00 fee but that Eastern Shore can be a honey hole. Plenty of birds and miles of marsh to set up in! Hope you find some birds and that you have a great first season here in Va.
We are putting together a few road trips on this site this season, maybe we all can hook up and do "de shore" one weekend! Again, :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.