chincoteague national wildlife refuge

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

chincoteague national wildlife refuge

Postby aarongreen123 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:26 am

does anyone hunt this enormous chuck of public land? any knowledge of boat ramps nearby the refure? will a 17ft deep v boat work to hunt this area?
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I've only hunted on the northern end of "de shore"and they are guided hunts, never done any freelance hunting that far up. I guess their are spots but seems to me that the guides have all the spots dialed in . maybe some of the guys will be able to help you with all the details. :salude:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:27 pm

Freelance hunting on eastern shore can be fun if you plan it right . The first thing you need to do is to call the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge at (757)336-6122 and ask them about public migratory bird hunting on the refuge and Islands of ES . Then pull up to your PC and learn the place at http://www.easternshorevirginiaportal.com/ . Then find where you will stay at while there at http://www.esvatourism.org/ .

Not having a guide means that it's up to you to find someone to leave a location of your hunting plans and times you will be gone , hunting the ocean side is harder b/c of the tides . Plan on getting your one Black duck and some divers , maybe some snow geese and brant . Plus add in the luck of a newbe , could be your best hunt of your life or your last . Let us know on here when your trip is maybe some of us will join you on the hunt . GOOD LUCK

That was from another thread on here put it had some good info for you in it .
Your boat will work just find BUT LEARN THE TIDES and if you have a push boat take it too so you can get into some of the less hunted areas . Assawoman island and Metompkin island would be a less hunted area and to get there I would leave from Gargatha Boat ramp and there is a motel just down the road on rt 13 . Don't forget the other side of the shore , Saxis is a good hunt with 3 boat ramps and then there is Wachapreague & Mockhorn island to give a try at too .
There is NOWHERE on the shore where a lone hunter can go and be safe doing it so plan on taking a friend with you and if you need a friend one can always be found on here .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting