Good Beginner's VA Hunt?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Good Beginner's VA Hunt?

Postby Badger Matt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been in Virginia a year now. Didn't get out and do any waterfowl hunting yet (work bites sometimes), but plan to this year.

I'm interested in any public land hunts that would be good for a father/son hunt. My son's 12-years-old and loves to hunt. He duck hunted with me a couple times when we were stationed in Kansas but had no luck. Got him out Saturday on a dove hunt and he scratched down his first bird. Man, that kid was stoked. Any suggestions on where to go? I've got chest waders and he has hip waders. We've got a dekes.

Cheers,

Matt
Badger Matt
Newb

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Matt, check Quantico and Fort AP Hill, I'm sure they have waterfrowl hunting available, get in touch with the Natural resource manager and they will be able to point you in the right direction, No boat? I'm sure they probably rent john boats for the weekend or find the beaver ponds. good luck and take advantage of the deer hunting there too. welcome to the forum. Mike J.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm

:welcome: Good to see some more va waterfowlers in here talking duck. We are trying to plan some hunts together. Check back often to see what is going on. As soon as cut gets back, we should be planning a hunt soon. Glad to see you are taking your son hunting, i can remember killing my first duck when i was 8 , that is one of my favorite memories. And it was great spending time with my dad, i wouldnt trade a minute for anything. Good luck, and lets get your son a duck or goose this year.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby mdupont » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:07 am

There are many lottery hunts on the vgdf site.
Hog Island has a youth hunt also.

Here is a link to the HI youth hunt:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/ma ... erfowl_Day

Here is a link to the lottery hunts.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/ma ... quota.html

Mike
mdupont
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:15 am

I too am looking for some waterfowl hunting here in northern va. Anyone want to bring another gunner? Maybe we can work out a deal??
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:20 pm

:welcome: Nova & Matt, Va. is a hard nut to crack. One word of advise is to hang in there! talk it up, It's harder to find spots in Northern Va. to hunt unless you are lucky enough to belong to a club that has access to places to duck hunt. You may find a deer and turkey hunt club that has access to swamp or river front. Also, you may consider a small canoe or jon boat and jump shoot creeks and rivers, should be plenty of spots with little pressure. They are really overlooked with all the "big water gunners of today".
Also, by joining an org, like DU, Delta and my recomendation, Vawfa :thumbsup: you will put yourself in position to meet fellow fowlers, some of with my be in the need of someone to hunt with also.
At aany rate, good luck on finding a spot, amybe we can team up and do some damage at some time this year, I'm always up for a Road Trip as I hunt out of a floater :getdown: Cut
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:22 pm

cut_un wrote::welcome: Nova & Matt, Va. is a hard nut to crack. One word of advise is to hang in there! talk it up, It's harder to find spots in Northern Va. to hunt unless you are lucky enough to belong to a club that has access to places to duck hunt. You may find a deer and turkey hunt club that has access to swamp or river front. Also, you may consider a small canoe or jon boat and jump shoot creeks and rivers, should be plenty of spots with little pressure. They are really overlooked with all the "big water gunners of today".
Also, by joining an org, like DU, Delta and my recomendation, Vawfa :thumbsup: you will put yourself in position to meet fellow fowlers, some of with my be in the need of someone to hunt with also.
At aany rate, good luck on finding a spot, amybe we can team up and do some damage at some time this year, I'm always up for a Road Trip as I hunt out of a floater :getdown: Cut

What are the regs for hunting creeks and rivers? Can I put in any creek and float down it? I assume as long as I dont get out of the canoe I can hunt them??

Also my pops lives down in Chesterfield, maybe we can get a hunt going down taht way.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting