New to the group....

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

New to the group....

Postby muddycreekdux » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:33 pm

Hey everybody, I have lived and hunted dux in VA for years and just found this chat. I hunt the shore about 90% of the time and hit up the James for cans in January. I have seen lots of inquiries about the shore and would love to share what I know if anyone has any questions. I am deployed overseas with the military until mid Oct so get after the resident geese for me! Later....
muddycreekdux
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Hey man, :welcome: i am one of the two mods. here. I am looking forward to talking duck with you this upcoming season. We are working on getting everyone together soon for a hunt or to sit around and tell stories.
again :welcome: and hope to share a great season with you.
Last edited by vah2ofowler22 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:06 pm

Well let me be first to welcome you to the site and to say Thank You for what you and the rest are doing overseas .
So you hunt the shore , my first question has got to be what side do you like the best or should I say what side is the best hunts at ? My guess is that you are going to say the seaside , but the bayside is what I want to hear about . I live on the westside of the bay in Mathews Va. and to cut cost I want to run across the bay by boat to hunt instead of driving around the bay towing a floater . 14 miles by water compared to 200 miles by land makes for more sleep and more hunt trips . The area I want to learn about is anything between Silver Beach , Nassawadox Creek - Cherrystone Inlet and I would like to find a dock private or public fee or free where I can moor to sleep and to walk to a gas station ?
As far as birds , my guess it's the same as this side a lot of Black ducks , a few Mallards and could be a lot of all if the weather is right , is that about right ?

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby muddycreekdux » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:23 am

Hey LEWDOG, I hunt both sides of the shore but actually prefer the bay side! I own some land on the bay in upper Accomack County and have enjoyed the variety of species we bag up there. If you want pintail, shoveler or brant the sea side is where you will have your best luck but I think the variety is greater on the bay. We regularly get widgeon, gadwall, redheads, goldeneyes and swans cruising the bay coastline. You can head out at almost any time of day and crush the scoters and buffleheads. And of course the infamous eastern shore black duck will circle you all day and drive you crazy trying to get him to commit.

I have limited experience with the lower shore and Northampton County. The southern shore is more densley populated and it seems like all the creeks and coastlines are inhabited. I would have to ask around but I am sure there are some secret spots and private lands that are still good to go but I am ignorant to their locations. The southernmost place on the bay that I hunt regularly is Ocohanock creek. Morely's Wharf has got a good ramp and dock/pier that you could tie up to and there is a small store/marine gas station on the opposite side of the creek surrounded by commercial shoremen boats. Just a ways up from Ocohanock is Pungoteague creek that also has a nice ramp and pier facility. The ramp is located in the town of Harborton and there is a store/gas station about a 10-15 minute walk from the ramp. The mouth of Pungoteague has an extensive marsh system that offers great duck and goose hunting. There was a large group of redheads working that marsh last year and a group of about 15-20 swans that I saw there regularly. Hope this helps, sorry I don't have any good dirt on the area your interested in. Later....
muddycreekdux
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:51 am

:welcome: Creekduks, glad to see you jumped in de blind! As LD said, THANKS for being there ...so we can be here :salude:
Stop on by and talk duck anyting, we have a big old blind and we love to talk bout dem duks and like you ( I love de shore) :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting