heck of a hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

heck of a hunt

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Ok after wasting my morning in EMT class, me and my buddy decided to make the best of the day. strung up the new greenhead gear floaters and hit the river. We got out there about 2 hours early. We where covered in ducks. they where in every direction. We probally could have killed 3 or 4 limits. Saw some teal and shot a blue wing. We have a pair of geese coming in and we worked them about as pretty as you can get. dropped them like a bad habit with my new gun. we Jumped in the boat and raced out to get them . i looked up and 3 more geese where locked up come in from about 300yds away. so i cut the motor and loaded my gun up, while my buddy stopped the boat. the geese where coming straight at us, and flared. they where about 70 yds out and i knew better but i called the shot, because i knew the 10 ga could do it. sure enough the first shot the first one fell, second shot the second one fell. after already trying my luck i decided not to try the third. we picked up 3 geese and lost one. I knew that the other bird was hit hard. so i went back and picked up the decoys and told my buddy i wasnt leaving until i found that other bird. Well i guess i got rewarded for busting my tale to find this bird. When i finally found it, after a 20 min search. It had a neck band on it. I thought for sure that i was gonna flip the bird up and it was gonna have leg bands on it. But it didnt.

Does anyone know why this is???? I have never seen this before.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:13 am

First I want to thank you on your choice of gun ga. , the 10 ga. gun these days isn't being bought and use like it should be , they are a waterfowlers gun :thumbsup: .
Man it sounds like y'uall had a great hunt , did I read it right , that you took all the kills of the day ?
The goose with the neck band must have only been in mans hands once in its life , they wouldn't put a neck band and a leg band on at the same time .

:mrgreen: LD :mrgreen:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks, I agree. Yea the 10ga is an awesome gun. But dont let everyone think they can go buy one and take 80-100 yd shots. I was pushing it at 70. I have taken the time to practice with the gun. I shot 2 boxes though it just to learn, how the gun shoots. I wish i could say i did all the killing. My buddy killed the teal, because i was sitting down playing with my duck call, trying to tune it. I called the teal in with out even knowing it.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:27 am

Congrads vafowler, sounds like you did have a breat day on the water! :getdown: :getdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Kessler » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Yea vah,
Whoop it up!, knowing I couldnt go. :hammering:
Glad yall did so well. :getdown:
Colden Goldens for you at "Henrys" for keeping after the "lost" bird.
:salude:

Just got back from J.P.Y.H. MAN, I've never seen this many birds.
Just hope they are still here in Oct.
:thumbsup:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:18 pm

ok here it is a pic of the big hunt

Last edited by vah2ofowler22 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:05 am

:salude: nice pics, keep um coming :thumbsup: Love the bling bling :mrgreen:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:28 pm

Congrats! :yes:
Please keep posting the pictures. :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 pm

Ok i know this was last years pic, but it is my favorite from last year. I shot this old drake, and he was banded. The band was soo old that I couldnt read the letter off of it. I am waiting to hear back from the USGS.

Does anyone want me to start a STICKy just for hunting pics or do yall just want to post them as we go. If anyone needs help posting, let me know and i will be more than glad to help!!!!
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting