floaters

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

floaters

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Ok, whos got a good floater?? What type?? What material is it made of?? I am thinking about making one for my big boat b/c one of our reps told me that he was gonna get me a couple bags of fast grass.

Please post any pics you guys got!!!
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Nothing special about mine fowler, I have a 16 ' Lowe Roughneck and have a Nothern Flight Folddown Blind, It's camoed and with the blind in the up position (Marsh Grass), it blinds in pretty well.
I guess it's what you want. I wanted to be able to slip mine on and off without too much trouble as mine doubles as a freshwater fishing rig too!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby blkdux » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:45 pm

Hey guys, how are ya?

I have a 17 foot lowe Sea Nymph. Good fishing boat, great diver blind with the deep V. I bought some plates that fit in the rail of the boat and welded some pipe on the side. I have smaller pipe that fits inside the other with chicken wire on both sides as walls. Two layers of camp burlap and velcro to put the front and back togeather. works well. You can add some loose grass with zip ties if you want to. It looks good and works good just not in real shallow water. I do not know how to post pics on this site or I would let you see it.

Last edited by blkdux on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:05 pm

ive got a 14 foot V boat for divers, and a 12 foot huntin kayak for ragged island- jump shooting and hunting puddlers.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby blkdux » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:22 pm

The perfect place to use your floater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:51 pm

Well, if it isn't old BD, :welcome: back. What you been up to. Missed you hangin out talkin a little duck on this thing. Are you ready to do some damage this weekend? :getdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby duksndeerhntr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 pm

I have 16 foot lowe witha mod. V hull. My boat is primarilya fishing boat for salt and fresh water. This year at the DU expo in Dinwiddie i bought the Wiley Outdoors Flexiblind it is awesome i used it once during early goose season and me and h20fowler piled some geese up. You might have seen the pictures of the results. the blind is so easy to take off and on and when your done hunting with it the dern thing fold up into a duffle bag. After one time with it out on the water i dont think i will ever use anything else.
duksndeerhntr
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Test :
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/Lewdog_/54.jpg[/img][/img]

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Ambush
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/Lewdog_/Ambush.jpg[/img][/img]

The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Doghouse
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/Lewdog_/Doghouseonlocation2.jpg[/img][/img]

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:46 pm

Nice pics. I cant wait to see that second pic , with camo and grass all over it.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:09 pm

It's going to be a long wait b/c she is done , Ambush is my Seaduck rig . I can hunt 6 hunters (that's 4 in the back 2 on each side and 2 up in the bow) the cabin is heated with food and coffee . She has no motor I will be towing her out the day before the hunts and sleeping in her for first light gunning .
The idea is that she can be the motherboat to anyone that wants to try seaducking , I will have the spread and a dry spot so all of you can setup around her in your little boats .
Layout rigs are ok but not for me :tounge: .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:14 pm

You mean you can shoot duck out of it like that . No camo. I think i need to see this. Do you kill many.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby VW Duck » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 pm

I've hunted and killed sea ducks out of a white center console fishing boat. Seemed like the more you stood up and acted like you were fishing the less spooked the birds were.... :cool:

Not the norm... I prefer camo and think no motion works better but sea ducks ain't the spookiest/smartest ducks in the world.

VW
VW Duck
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:49 pm

The main thing you must remember is unlike all the other waterfowl Seaducks come to the lower Chesapeake Bay for the winter . They are not going to fly away and go south b/c you shoot at them .
Decoys are to seaducks as corn is to good ducks , if you put the out they will come . Movement can be a bad thing and camo just looks out of place 1 mile offshore so I went with black and wear black while on board .

Look when the birds get here I will let everyone know and we will start the hunts and everyone can join in , there is safety in numbers and the Chesapeake Bay is a big place .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:13 pm

white center console fishing boat

camo just looks out of place 1 mile offshore

Yep, you two got that part right.

LD, I started working on the mother lines today. Do you use more than a 36" drop line?
goosesmacker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting