What do yall think.

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

What do yall think.

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 pm

I have been thinking about opening up my duck blind this year and guiding out of it. I miss guideing soo much. I wouldnt ever charge anyone on here, but do yall think people will pay $75 for a morning of duck and goose hunting. This is just a question that i am asking!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If anyone feels that this is :spam: let me know and i will remove it.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 pm

I have been thinking about doing that for years , I have 6 blinds and 5 floaters but the botton line is there just isn't the ducks to support the high cost of guiding . You money will come from return hunters and them telling others and I myself don't think that will happen .

The best I can tell you is to go into the blind renting business and charge $25. a gunner and put up flyers at all the colleges & universities and at all the Military bases . Make sure to put on the flyers that you rent Guns , Decoys , call & callers and shot callers all at $25 each .

That is what I was going to do , but I gave up the idea and just take anyone that wants to go if they ask me .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:49 am

As I see it fowler, you are just asking the question, now if you decide to do it and adv that you are"open for business, then we have :spam: on our hands. But to your question, I'd say go for it! :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:04 am

yea definitly go for it. once i get out of my high school, me and my buddy are going to try to have guided seaduck hunts. you figure if two people want to come along, and we have 4 total, they could legally shoot 28 ducks. (diver hunting 800+ yards off shore). we've been talkin about it for a little while now.

$75 sounds like a great deal even if you could just get a couple puddlers and maybe a goose.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby OATBED » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:48 pm

Most places around this area are $175 per person per day. It just depends on how many ducks you have and whether or not you want to make money or just have a good time.
OATBED
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:39 pm

I am not thinking about doing it for the money. You CANNOT make a living that way. I just enjoy sharing hunting and days in the field with people. Plus a few buck here and there would always insure new and a bigger decoy spread.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Not a bad idea, but I myself would not go so far as renting the equipment too, you might find yourself out of a gun (lost/dropped over, etc) or worse...a lawsuit if someone had the gun "accidently" go off and shoot someone in the blind or their dog. The price is very good. If you have the teal in there in september you could surely fill your blind for those days, as well as the sept geese.

Brad

Save a duck.....shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes, the guiding business can get a little sticky! Been guiding spring turkey hunts for years and I have my share of "war storys" When folks pay for the opportinity to hunt, they tend to expect alot.
I'll be more than happy to share a blind with ya anytime and with gas being what it is I'll pay my way, just to hunt with ya.... and I will not gripe if we don't kill a limit of ducks either :eek:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:34 pm

Hey Brad this is Tripp, glad to see ya joined us. I take it that is rocko in the picture. when does predator season open this year. I cant wait to shoot one with that .17 or that .204 if i decide i am gonna get it.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:52 pm

I thought this was the same site I had joined a couple weeks ago when you mentioned it today. Yep thats Rocko, I lost Bear in the spring to some damn disease, so now its all on his shoulders.

Nov 1 for fur flying season.....if you are going to get that .204 you need to work up some "wind" loads, I have heard it does not buck the wind well unless you use a heavy bullet......just food for thought.

Good luck tomorrow!
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:33 am

yea, if you get the 204 or the 17, you will be happy. both are excellent calibers. ive got a 204 ruger No. 1 stainless with a burris on it, and a marlin heavy barrel 17 hmr with a burris on it....i shoot benchrest at my hunt club and have won with both before at 100 yards :thumbsup:.....if you do get the 204 though, you should stick a pop can out at 100 yards filled to the rim with water; shoot it and the top half will fly up about 50 feet high :eek: :yes: its pretty cool.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Re: What do yall think.

Postby NOVAggie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:06 am

vah2ofowler22 wrote:I have been thinking about opening up my duck blind this year and guiding out of it. I miss guideing soo much. I wouldnt ever charge anyone on here, but do yall think people will pay $75 for a morning of duck and goose hunting. This is just a question that i am asking!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If anyone feels that this is :spam: let me know and i will remove it.

I woudl be interested. how far from the D.C. area are you?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Gaston » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:17 pm

I have taken folks for years and have to turn them away. I mainly take the corporate crowd and charge $200 a head for a 1/2 day or $350 for a whole day per man. They dont expect as much since they are spending company money, but I still try as hard as I can to put them on some shooting. Most just want to shoot and dont care if they shoot buffleheads or canvasback. Individual folks paying themselves expect the ducks to be like bumblebees and everwhere in the air the whole time and are more aholes in my opinion. Good way to make some winter $$ though. :cool:
Let me show you how to kill um...
Gaston
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:01 am

Gaston wrote:I have taken folks for years and have to turn them away. I mainly take the corporate crowd and charge $200 a head for a 1/2 day or $350 for a whole day per man. They dont expect as much since they are spending company money, but I still try as hard as I can to put them on some shooting. Most just want to shoot and dont care if they shoot buffleheads or canvasback. Individual folks paying themselves expect the ducks to be like bumblebees and everwhere in the air the whole time and are more aholes in my opinion. Good way to make some winter $$ though. :cool:

Yeah you got a point. It does suck though if you spend your hard earned $$ and you get skunked. Most of the guides I have used say if you get skunked (not missed birds, but no birds flying) you get some of teh $$ back. To me that is fair, you cant expect the guide to control all the birds.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 am

There are two things one must remember in guiding , (1) there is a sucker born everyday , they will pay the big bucks and shoot the black & white with little fuss . It's after the hunt that's going to hurt you , when they get back to the water cooler and start lying about what they killed . you can bet they are not coming back nor are they going to tell there friends to go hunt with the guide . (2) If you take someones money and run them out to your blind in a boat you better hope that they are who they say they are . They could be the law hoping that you are going to run some birds up for them or that you don't have a Captain license . Heck I worry about this when I take people I invited here for a hunt or fish with no money changing hands . The law will ask my guest "did you help with the gas or did you by breakfast or how much was the bait" There is a guide over on ES that everyone that I have heard say that they suck as a guide , but the botton line is they have a Captain License and insurance with a long line of suckers wanting to come to ES to hunt and fish .

Charge $25.00 and have them to supply the boat and your ride to the blind and don't give any money back for bad days , They get to hunt you get to share the hunt and the decoy spread gets bigger with eack new hunter .

:yes: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby blkdux » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:05 pm

Good luck. Some days are good and some days are bad.
If you can't run the call you have, don't !! Get some lessons, it will help us all.
blkdux
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting