blind help

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

blind help

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:32 pm

Ok guys who knows the best way to sink some 4x4s in the river mud. I know to nail a 2x4 to it and jump on it. But is there an easier way, that maybe one of you guys that had been around for while might know. My other 2 blinds are on dry land. so this middle of the river thing is new to me.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Gaston » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:03 pm

Tripp

I have seveal "man killers" that I made that are boiler steel square pipe with a welded steel end and welded handles on the side. I use it to put over the post and 2 men (unless you think you are the man) can easily hammer a post in about any bottom in little time. I have one for 4x4 and one for 4x6. I will gladly let you borrow one, can drop it off at Dances some time when I am working that way. Let me know.
Let me show you how to kill um...
Gaston
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 pm

A (2 person) man killer is the way to go. I have got one that will drive a 4x4 down three feet in 4 easy stokes. This past weekend we used it to build some blinds. This past weekend, we tried some thing different. We laid the floor platform down on the muddy bank. The corners were gapped out so that the 4x4 fitted perfect in the corners. We then drove the 4 x4 's in. After that. we prop up each corner then nailed them to the 4x4's. It sure beat trying to set in 4x4's first and prayng your blind will be square.

With the big boat you have, you could do the same thing by putting the floor structure on the boat's deck, drive the 4x4's in, then nail in the structure's corners to the 4x4's.

If you have any questios or need to talk, send me a PM.

Good Luck - Goosesmacker :cool:
-------------------------------------
www.vawfa.org :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Rent a pump and wash them in , a dock builder may have one all riged up .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby VARINA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 am

With a man killer, this weekend we put down four 4x4's in less than 2 minutes. That's less than 30 sec. per pole. :thumbsup: Yep, we drove the poles down 3 feet with four stokes per pole. For years, I use the water pump to sink in the poles. Now days, it is much easier to use a man killer.

VARINA :cool:
------------------------
www. vawfa.org :thumbsup:
VARINA
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:10 am

I have to put some poles in myself and I'm going to give the things a try . I plan on using trees , which kind would you use and why ?

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:36 am

Is three feet enough????? I really cant decide how long of 4x4s to use. The water depth is between 3-4 feet on an average tide. What do yall think.

Gaston i think i would like to take you up on that offer. I am gonna send you a PM.

Thanks guys keep the help coming.

This new spot is great for geese. I bet there are at least 150 there right now, and when the season starts there hopefully will be tons more.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby VARINA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:44 am

vah2ofowler22,

In most cases 3-5 feet works, however it depends on the type of bottom and the current. Feel free to send me a PM.
VARINA
hunter

Postby VARINA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:43 am

LEWDOG,
If you can find a man killer big enough for the tree, TRY IT. I have seen guys use $3 salt treated landscape timbers instead of 4x4's. They last a couple years.
VARINA
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Yep I had though to use them too but this year I'm going to test the water so to speak , my blind location is in a place where the ice is bad . I'm going to put four poles in and then build the whole blind out of pine trees and wood I find in the marsh , I have a 5 gl bucket full of nails that was given to me a long time ago so my only cost will be the gas in the saw and my work building it .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting