Converting Floating decoys to Field decoys

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Converting Floating decoys to Field decoys

Postby Erie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am

Has anyone converted floating decoys into field decoys? If so, what did you use in order to cut the bottoms out of them? I think the hardest part would be to find the center of gravity in order for the decoy to sit properly on the stake. Let me know if any of you have any past experience with this.

Thanks in advance for the information.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Re: Converting Floating decoys to Field decoys

Postby ShaqDiesel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 pm

I did it a couple years back, cut the bottoms off and drilled a hole so that they would balance, then I bought threaded steel, and the correct nuts that fit on it, and you cut the stakes about 12 to 18 inches long and thread a nut on it about half inch and the decoy sits on the nut.
One Shot Wonder...
ShaqDiesel
hunter

Postby Erie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah I was thinking about doing it to some of my older decoys instead of just throwing them out. Figured it would be good to add to the field set up considering that is more of a numbers game. How did yours look? I've also thought about cutting the bottoms off and just making them shells that sit on the ground but fear that because they are just standard decoys they won't be easily seen.

Thanks for the information!
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 pm

I have done this several times. You can buy a plastic bottom with keel that snaps into most standard shells these day. In the past I purchased a board of that pink 2" foam insulation board you can get at Lowes or Home Depot and make a stencil and cut out a dozen. Run a screw through each tee post hole on the side and you are good to go. Attach the anchor line to the front. I have also gone to housing developments and picked up trimming after asking. Use the 2x10 or 2x12 pieces and jig saw them out and place them for floats. A lot more weight, but if your boating in it works. Or you can just buy two dozen floater and call it good.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby terrellwa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Here's a good post on this very subject thought you could give it a try. I just may.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=117951
2011-2012 Kill Totals:
IPhone - 1
Blackberry - 1 (Sorry Jhaze)

US NAVY (Retired) Pro-Staff
Pepsi-Max Prostaff
Snickers Prostaff
terrellwa
hunter

Postby Erie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Yeah, that site is just was I needed to take those old, less than stellar, decoys to the field. Now all my field set up is lacking is about 2 dozen full bodies to use along with my water decoys and my field decoys. I'm probably going to go with G&H full bodies when I go to the factory when I get home. For the replacement floaters I am waiting for the dakota decoys to come out with thier flocked head decoys in May and that is what I plan on shooting over. 2 dozen Dakota Decoy mallards and 2 doz mixed pintail, widgeon, teal and coots and I will be all set up and never have to buy another decoy ever. :lol3:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby 6 a day the healthy way » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 am

I just got done making a dozen floaters into field decoys I'm only 15 so was on a tight budget. I had my dad cut the keels off with a saw of some sort and then I drilled a hole on the balancing point of the bottom of the decoy. Then I put a drywall screw through the top over the existing hole.(drywall screw bcuz they are black and help hide the screw) I then took Black PVC/ water pipe and stuck them through the hole on the bottom onto the screw u now have a removeable motion stake that will sit in the decoy. P.s. make sure your hole through the bottom and PVC are the same size then u don't have to get the exact balancing point just close. U can also paint the bottom of the stake orange to simulate legs hope it helps:)
6 a day the healthy way
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 am

you guys can get clip on feet that attach to the keel... cant get them over here but they look great.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting