Gear question

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Gear question

Postby yakima hunter » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:29 am

ok i need a new hunting jacket after this last weekend when my old jacket which is suppose to be waterproof or water resistant didnt stand up to the rain and fried my cell phone. I figured the Big duck in the sky was telling me your jacket sucks ass get a new one. So what is a good brand i want something i can take in the water with me because i wade alot. Also side note is there any body in here from yakima that hunts the reservation if so would like to chit chat with u about hunting and how it has been i havent gone since well thanksgivng day and that was the first time in a long time would like to hear how its been going
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby Butchhe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

Go with the Drake 4 in 1 jacket. You won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:
Butchhe
hunter

Postby decoydog » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:13 am

I wil try to help you out with the first half of your problem since 15 people looked at your call for help and has said nothing. Cabelas makes a Brush Buster Waterfowl wading jacket. It is a 4 in 1 jacket system that is completley water proof. It is a tough jacket and I use it. It is spendy, but it will last for years. By the way, try wearing your jacket inside your waders, and you won't have as many worries. And what is the purpose of bringing the cellphone to the duck blind? Because I having trouble thinking of a valid reason. As far as hunting the Res. I can't help you there.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

New jacket

Postby mjlduckman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:27 pm

Try sportsmans warehouse if ya have one near by, they have a good selection and good prices. But if not Cabela's has a Dry-plus hybred pullover and wader jacket that are moderatly priced and will keep ya warm and dry. Remember to layer your clothes and NEVER wear cotton while hunting.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby Swass14 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:36 pm

As per the cell phone comment, things like checking the time, calling for help, are reasons i carry mine. Secondly i went to sportsmans warehouse and picked up a browning goretex 4 in 1 and it is awesome. Good price too...
Swass14
hunter

Postby decoydog » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:16 pm

I am very happy to hear someone retort my cellphone comment. I personally carry a CB radio instead of a costly cell phone which I leave in my truck, so I can still make those emergency calls. To me, cell phone calls in the blind is a distration from one of the purposes of going hunting, and that is to get away from everyday distractions and stresses.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Swass14 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:40 pm

For me the cell phone is my primary so the cost is of no importance, secondly it offers zero inconvenience...you just leave it off, unless you need it. I can see no downside to carrying it in say your blind bag, unless your cost gets wet and it fries :) other than that...although you are correct if you are worried about cost cb's should work as well.
Swass14
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting