hevisteel

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

hevisteel

Postby kwak » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:34 am

hi great forum

are any of you using hevisteel??

i am using it and love it
several shots out to 40yds or so
with great results.
im using 3" #6 :thumbsup:
no blood no glory
kwak
Newb

Postby mud duck » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:00 am

I shot through a box of Kent Tungsten today. I dumped it in my pocket and mixed it with #2 fast steel. The birds I hit with Tungsten went down and did not need many follow ups. However, the penetration was greater and I think I had more damaged meet than with the steel. I can't really verify this because I didn't pay that much attention, but it's just a hunch. I'll keep buying the hevi stuff from time to time, but will have to stick to high velocity steel for most of my shooting.
mud duck
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:16 am

I had good success with Hevi-Steel 4's on ducks. Ran through four boxes.

Now I am shooting Hevi-Steel 2's and B's and they are hanging up in my SBE. Drives me nuts. I have heard of others via shooting forums with the same problem. I can shoot light upland loads, Fasteel 3's and (yesterday) Fasteel 3.5's no problem so I am pretty sure my gun just doesn't like these loads. It's too bad because I think they do have more killing power than steel and for an affordable price to boot.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby mud duck » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:22 pm

I had certain shells haning up in my nova (especially winchester and remingtons) all last year. I could only shoot faststeel and high quality federal's without hanging. After dumping my gun in the drink, I broke it all down and cleaned and lubed it up to a better than new state. I can shoot anything now without a hitch.
mud duck
hunter

Postby Benelli boys » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:52 pm

i have been shootin geese with the b's and im just foldin em hard i :getdown: found a pellet in a bird it flattened out like lead awsome stuff just wish i could find somone local that had 3 1/2's been 3's
Benelli boys
hunter

heavy steel

Postby mjlduckman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:59 pm

I tried them in 3" #4's for the first time this past weekend. They worked great and no need for water swattin the cripples like with some steel loads.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting