I know, I know.....

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

I know, I know.....

Postby Jusluv21 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:04 am

I know this is the DUCK hunting forum and I've found I'm completely hooked on it. I've been hunting the Skagit Delta and after watching what must be close to a bazillion snow geese go by, I was wondering if there is any secret anyone would be willing to share with me on how to kill one. I got the permit just in case and would like to use it. Anyway, if anyone would like a partner normally on a Sunday, I would be in great debt to you.
Shellback, Squid, Old Tar.....Yep, that's me. All Navy. Don't worry, I'll scare 'em your way.....
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby decoydog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 pm

To kill them, you just gotta lead them a bit and pull the trigger. :getdown: :thumbsup: Over here on the eastside, we don't see many, mostly none at all. But I have always wanted to eat one. Let us know if you have success at it. By the way, it is not tabu to talk about geese, if it flies, dies, and gets eaten, it's ooookkkkk.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:04 am

I know, but there has been some bad juju on here about people giving up info and stuff like that. I was just not trying to put out that I want a honey hole or anything. Even if I had one, it wouldn't matter because I'll be in Japan for the next 3 years after this season. I've only been at this sport for a little of last season and now this one. I hope I don't forget everything everyone on here has helped me with!!! :thumbsdown:
Shellback, Squid, Old Tar.....Yep, that's me. All Navy. Don't worry, I'll scare 'em your way.....
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 pm

Hey shellback!!! You missed one heck of a weekend. I must have seen over a hundred birds in that slew. They were landing on me when I was setting dekes. It was a blast. Even my friend "old broad side" Rusty got one. His first drake ever. You coming over this weekend? Doug is going out too. He found a spot to cross the river and get to those ducks that keep landing on the canal.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:59 pm

I think I'm out for this weekend too. I have to take a guy down Sunday afternoon to ship out on Monday morning for Boot Camp :pissed: . I can't wait to get back over there though. I don't know when I'm going to get another chance the way things are going. I'm going to try and get his date moved ONE day, which is like pulling teeth, so I don't tie up my only day off. I know I'm working on Saturday but if I can move him out a day, I'll be on my way over there on Saturday night like last time. Anyway, if I can't make it, kill a couple for me. Did you try the flapper duck again?
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby shotgunr » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:45 pm

jusluv
This late in the season " without the fog"
To go after snows on public ground you are going to need a boat
It's that simple. Guys will tell ya that you don't need a boat
and that is true to some degree. 1 month left of season and thee birds have been educated pretty well right now. Like I said before FOG is a huge part in killing Snows on the Skaigit, and a boat.
These birds are not hard to figure out. Glass, Glass, Glass.
You can pattern these birds in very short order once you do that
THE BOAT comes into play. There are many people out there out for the Snows
but there are also many other places to be that the hunters aren't
Do your homework.

Good luck
shotgunr
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 am

shotgunr, thanks for the help. I would be all about trying to scout, but the only time I'm off is Sunday and I'm trying to hunt that day. I get to put in a lot of hours, including every Saturday, and about the only scouting I get in is what I can find on the internet. My life sucks right now but I'm trying. I've only been at this for part of last season and this season and my wife is pissed because all I can think about is hunting. I have a buddy that has never killed a snow and I want to beat him to it. I am moving to Japan shortly and there is no way my better half is going to let me get a boat before we leave. Anyway, any help is better than no help at all and I appreciate any scrap I can get. If I only had a scattergun that could reach about a hundred yards. I could kill a limit in about 30 seconds. Wait, I would have to hit something first...... :yes: I heard there is going to be some fog this weekend so maybe I'll get lucky.
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:06 pm

We put the flappers pole lower to the water and tied the wings in a cupped position. It seemed to work o.k. I think the flapper is more trouble than it is worth. Let me know if you can get your future squid moved a day. I am going out tommorrow and I will post how I did. I like your new profile signature. :toofunny: :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:04 pm

That's just for you Choclab :thumbsup: . I thought you might get a kick out of it. Just my luck that the one time I think there is a glimmer of hope, it's really an oncoming train. I find out today that I get to work a FULL day tomorrow, and a half day on Sunday. What a ripoff. How am I ever going to shoot a limit going like this? I'll be lucky to shoot a limit's total for the rest of the season the way this is going. So the flapper is more trouble than it's worth, huh?
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:22 am

Yes, a boat does help. However, if you use snow geese rags/flags on a low tide sequence on the tidal marsh; a walk-in hunter can do quit well, too. Most Skagit hunters still just pass shoot snow geese or take them as an incidential bird over their duck decoys.

Also, hunt the weather; a high wind is great at driving birds off the Bay and a snow storm seems to make the snow geese really fly.
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:35 am

We got hooked up this Sunday. 4 snows between 2 of us because we are semi-retarded and couldn't read our stupid kill cards that the fish and low life sent us to record our day. We couldn't figure how many we could shoot and, looking back, we didn't shoot nearly enough. Oh, by the way, we almost got a federal misdemeanor because I couldn't find my pen and we didn't record the exact moment we bagged our geese. The federal game officer was not impressed by the fact that we actually killed a couple apiece at all. Anyway, put the sneak on 2 with a wicked fog bank and caught the other two on a flyby. Got 1 pintail drake and that was it for ducks. Hmmmmmm,,, will I try again this weekend? Does a bear poop in the woods?
Jusluv21
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting