New Guy and His Dog in Town

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

New Guy and His Dog in Town

Postby wingbanger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:46 am

My first post........new to the Seattle area,,,,from Oregon (I'm a westerner????) Where is the closest place to Covington for me to hunt? My dog keeps looking at me funny. Thanks
wingbanger
Newb

Postby decoydog » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:25 pm

I guess I will be the first to welcome you to Washington State. As far as places to hunt on the coast, the only place I have ever hunted over there is SedroWoolie( for ducks), and I don't know if that is anywhere near you. :welcome:
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby wingbanger » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 pm

Thanks, I guess everyone thought I was asking to be a blind buddies. I was just asking for a general area. Your from Tri-Cities, I hunted on the river by Umatilla quite a bit. My family is from Irrigon. I appreciate your welcome and hope someone can help me out.
wingbanger
Newb

Postby Jusluv21 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:11 pm

Did you get to hunt Oregon this year? How is McCormick's doing? I have a buddy in Hermiston that I shoot with on occasion. He's got a couple spots on the Umatilla but always talks about McC's. Seems like a lot of work to hunt that when the reserve is free and just down the road. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Shellback, Squid, Old Tar.....Yep, that's me. All Navy. Don't worry, I'll scare 'em your way.....
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:36 am

Welcome to washington, I live in cov. also. I just got off work at 6am, I have to go back at 8am for 10 hours, then be back to work at 10 tonight (good thing for overtime). so when I have a chance I'll send you pm.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby wingbanger » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:48 am

It's hard to get a good blind at McCormick unless you have it reserved. A lot of guys go there and the standby line is way to long. If you have ever been there, the big white house on the hill overlooking the refuge was my Grandpa's and my Uncle runs the farm on the refuge. I alway go above Mcnary on the river. There is a lot of spots by Warehauser Beach that I've built many a blind at. Big rafts of birds up there and not many hunters at all. I'll probably get chewed out for telling you that. I've always figured that most hunters work as hard as I do or want to, so what's the harm in being friendly. I hunted mostly in Woodburn by Oregon City this year, I had a little pond a guy let me hunt.
wingbanger
Newb

Places to hunt around seattle

Postby mjlduckman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:26 pm

Hey wingbanger,

There a few places near ya, but for the better stuff you'll have to do some driving.

Closest is probably the Nisqually delta, just south of Tacoma, then south and west to the Chehalis, Grays harbor and Willapa Bay. You could also head out near Fall City and hunt the rivers there a few geese and duck around there too.
Check out the WDFW water access sites and go from there.

Good luck and welcome aboard
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:44 am

I'll probably never hunt McC's and it wouldn't really matter at least for the next 3 years because I'll be in Japan. The Navy was nice enough to move my family and myself over there for the next 3 years. I am already counting down the days until I can get back to Eastern Oregon. My buddy and his wife just bought 60 minute photo in Pendleton so I know I'll have a kill zone when I get back. I won't tell anyone about your hole. There's only about 3 people I know over there so it's safe. But thanks for the tip. We are quite a ways away but we'd be glad to hunt with you in the Skagit delta near Conway.
Shellback, Squid, Old Tar.....Yep, that's me. All Navy. Don't worry, I'll scare 'em your way.....
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby Hevi/shot » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:59 pm

Welcome Wingbanger!
"Living the dream"
Hevi/shot
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting