this is STUPID

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

this is STUPID

Postby Duck_hunter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 pm

ok did any of you guys no using a duck or goose call after hunting hours is considered hunting?? this is so Freakin stupid i found out the hard way and those people gave me a ticket. why cant u call after hrs even if it aint by the river.
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:00 pm

sounds stupid to me, I wonder if they try and give you a ticket if your driving!
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Were you indoors or out? I guess I can understnad where a CO would be coming from, but if you were inside your home or garage I'd probably try to contest the ticket.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Duck_hunter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:20 pm

well i was done picking up dekes and had about a 50 yrd walk back to my truck and i was blowing a duck call and he comes walking up to me and said it is 4:15 and shooting hours ends at 4:05 so u are still considerd hunting. i was like bs
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby Geardown » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:28 am

I have a great Lawyer that loves defending these type of BS tickets and he is reasonable but very good PM if you would like his number.
Geardown
hunter

Postby Remington1196 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 pm

What is the officers name and maybe badge # on the ticket as well as the county and date??? I would love to call state game and talk to his supervisor, maybe we all should.

Just because he is frustrated checking legal hunters without finding any poachers is no reason to be a azzhole. I know we need cops but far to often they beat up on us when they can't find and real crime. :pissed:
Remington1196
hunter

Postby Duck_hunter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:23 pm

well i dont no if i should tell u his name or badge numb. but i will tell u he patrols finley and burbank i mean come on is blowin a duck call illegal im takin it to court and i better win but im with u there Rem :salude:
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby mud duck » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:27 pm

I'm very certain you can blow a call when ever you want. I know a number of people who go out and blow in the summer to practice. Where was your gun? Was it unloaded and in the bag?
mud duck
hunter

Postby decoydog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:23 pm

ENTICING or BAITING of prey while in posession of a firearm after shooting hours is illegal in the state of Wshington and is subject to a fine. Since blowing on a call is considered baiting or enticing, you got the fine. I would not listen to all of these backyard lawyers giving you advise about " going to court " or " I know a good lawyer you should call ". Going to court over this is going to do two things: #1 It is going to tie up the court system taking away from more important matters and #2 it will raise my taxes. Who do you think pays the judges and court personal's saleries. Lick your wounds and pay the fine. Chalk it up to a learning experience.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Steven05 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:18 pm

hey decoydog how do u no he had a gun on him?? were u the game worden?? i think he should take it to court because the game wardens have no right to do that if he did not fire a shot. there is no were in the book saying ;blowing a call after hrs is illegal.:withstupid:

were u the game warden?
Steven05
hunter

Postby decoydog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:28 pm

All I did was dictate the law. If the game officer game him a ticket, it most likely did not make a difference if his gun was loaded of not. All I saw was everyone jumping all over the officer. There was something most likely not within the law if he got a ticket. Think about it this way.... Do you think that a game officer wants to spend more time on paperwork? Do you think that he wants to have his butt dragged into a court room and his name thrown through the mud? I will almost bet you that those thoughts enter his mind when he puts paper to pen to write a ticket. So if he got a ticket, there was something wrong. These officers are out there trying to do their best everyday, and the way I see it, they keep the riff raff out so the good guys can hunt safely. And I am not saying that he is the riff raff ( for all of you who like to fly off the handle so quickley), what I am saying is that they have a hard job to do as it is, without some young gunners jumoing all over them when I am sure that this hunter just gave us an overview of what actually happened. This is what my dad always said to me: " When the law has got you, they has you. Fess up and pay up". This is my disclaimer: There are good ones and bad ones in everything.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Duck_hunter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:40 pm

no i was in my every right to blow my call. i was not hunting
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby decoydog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:52 pm

I read your post and made a phone call to someone with Fish and Game. And I wrote you the law, the way it was explained to me. if you were in possesion of a fierarm and blowing a call after shooting hours, you WERE hunting. Blowing a call in that situation is BAITING and/or ENTICING which is illeagal.
decoydog
hunter

Postby mud duck » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:53 pm

Clearly the officer has discretion to issue the citation or not to issue it. If a person was packing a decoy-bag out with his gun unloaded and in a gun case anyone could make the case that there was no attempt to hunt or take the game. Now on the other hand, if the gun was loaded and the person was hiding in the bushes, a ticket might be wise. I would like to see the lawful definition of "baiting" or "enticing". What happens if I get a duck call recorded on my truck horn. Could I be pulled over everytime I honked it?
mud duck
hunter

Postby decoydog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:58 pm

Sometimes it pay to be reasonable and within reason Mud Duck. I guess if you would like to try it and find out......let me know how it tuns out for you.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Steven05 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:04 am

mud duck that is a great example. decoydog so lets say when im going to go hunting in the morning i walk out of my house at 3am carrying my gun and blowing a call that game warden has every right to give me a ticket??
Steven05
hunter

Postby decoydog » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:19 am

How old are you? These are rediculous examples. Why? Because you need to be in the field in a hunting situation. I promise you that this hunter that got the ticket has been reading these replies and has yet to even tell us the WHOLE story. He was out in the field in a hunting situation blowing a call enticing birds to his location, and was in posession of a firearm and got a ticket. Now he wants to use this forum to cry about it. You know what? I hope he fights the ticket. I really would like to know how this turns out. I know your reading thid DUCK_HUNTER, and I think you should take it to court. Fight it aaaalllllll the way.
decoydog
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:44 am

Geez.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby MacAttack » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 am

Good point decoydog, and mud duck, the CO has discretion and he used it to what he thought was better. While I still think its stupid, decoydog made his point, and it was a good one.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Geardown » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 am

I think this is a big example of lazy game warden that refuses to do the job that they have been appointed to do. No matter what this person was doing with his duck call there are another fifty people outright braking the law and willingly taking game illeagaly be it hunting fishing or whatever. Get real and find the peolple that are realy breaking the law and ruining the hunting and fishing areas that we pay for every year. Try following up on a few of the outlaw native american that hide behind the reservation laws and amunities in order to take ungodly amounts of fish and game in this state. He will beat this in court just by the pettyness of it all!!
Geardown
hunter

Postby Duck_hunter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:13 pm

hey dog, why are u getting so deffensive? and yes i am telling what all happen. if u dont beleive me then fine DONT. i cant make u, and unfortunitly i dont care if u dont believe me. i beleive i was doing nothing rong
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:24 pm

Duck_Hunter,

That sucks you got a ticket, but you were in the wrong believe it or not. If you fight it I am betting you would lose. Just pay the $100 or whatever the fine is and chalk it up to experience the hard way. There are a lot of fine laws that some wardens will enforce when given the chance, and I can't say I blame them. The birds are call shy enough without having guys blow calls in the off hours at the marshes.

I have nothing against you, but sometimes a guy does something and get made an example of. That happened to you on that day.

I personally wish they would go after everyone without a boat or dog. Every cripple they dropped and didn't strip down and take off swimming after it, I wish they would write them a ticket, because legally they can...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby decoydog » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:27 pm

I am not getting defensive. You have yet to explain everything that happened, i.e. where was your shotgun? was it loaded or unloaded? Were you still picking up deeks? This have not been addressed and yet everyone has that officer pegged as doing the wrong thing by writing you a ticket. I explained the law to you, and to them, and yet these other hunters on here want to dismiss it without knowing much if not none of the story as you would present it.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Duck_hunter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:50 pm

u no what theres no point to tell u because u will just say im lieing like u have all along. good day and happy hunting
Duck_hunter
hunter

Postby mud duck » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 pm

I J-walked the other day in front of an officer; and can you believe it, I didn't get a ticket.

Now let's assume the hunter who was ticketed was telling the truth. Don't you agree that discretion could have been made and the officer could have just explained the law to him and let him go.

Now onto the educated burbank ducks... In my opinion, they aren't call shy because someone is practicing their call on their way back to his/her truck. It's because there are blinds every 100 yards with hunters calling and shooting at them non-stop. I've seen people shoot at birds 100+ yards away. Only ducks that fly away get educated.
mud duck
hunter

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting