Float Tubes

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

Float Tubes

Postby tank » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:10 pm

Don't try this at home, I'm a professional. More like a dumb azz.

Most everyone knows I aint real bright but this was an extra dumb move.

Happen damn fast too. I did things I knew I shouldn't have done. I seen where this duck I knocked down when into some cattails, so I put my shotgun around my neck, with my decoy retriever for a paddle and took off in the float tube, I coasted down the canal
I knew it was deeper on the current side. I was going to get the duck, then cross over and walk up the other side which is shallow, past my blind and coast back over to it.
Well you know this didn't happen or I wouldn't be telling it. I was coasting back down like I had planned but I was going too fast, I grabbed and something in the water to slow me down and as soon as I grabbed what ever it was. I flipped the damn tube. As soon as I seen it was going over I was trying to separate myself from the tube.
I was running out of air fast and I grabbed something long enough that I could get my head up and get some air.
All this didn't take that long, but it seemed like it did at the time. I just told the wife I tripped in about 6" or water.
The phones shot, glasses and decoy retriever gone , but when I got back to camp a kid that I fish with took off with his 3 wheeler and found the float tube. The only thing I gave a crap about, was getting dry clothes on, getting in my sleeping bag with a cup of coffee. I can't have wife or son to find out, they would try to keep me home.
The water was so deep and fast there, if I did have company not much they could have done. I learned a lot in just a few minutes.
My waders are one and a half size too large and I couldn't get the things off.
Wear a belt and get a floation vest. If this was larger water then the canal I would have been hosed. You don't get a second chance in the River

I've heard people say that their life fashed in front of them, but that never happened to me. The only thing I can remember seeing was my first loves brown eyes.
I was raised on a dairy.
tank
tank
hunter

Postby furface » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:28 pm

You are a good man Tank. We would have missed you. You were lucky and I am gratefull.

That first love of yours now...... did she have a big yellow ear tag... er... um I mean ear ring that said 44 on it?
spay and neuter all pets, wierd friends and family
furface
hunter

Postby Otto » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:10 am

whew! lessons like that teach us all! I have had a few and am wiser for it.

I think the reason your life didnt flash in front of ya was the fact that your so damn old and it woulda taken to long! :laughing:

Have ya got the "tanks tub" out on a duck hunt yet? or is it just a fishin tub?
Otto
hunter

Postby tank » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:53 am

That's was just a lucky guess Tom

Otto, OH YEA, OH YEA, I'll think of something smart to say and you'll be sorry.( this may take a while)

I don't trust my dogs in the tub. I can just see me telling them to stay and he just thinks, Yea, Right, YOU CAN TRUST ME
I did get a Jet Sled from Cabela's and boy was it nice last weekend on the ice. But we'll see how I like it in a few weeks.
I wonder if it'll float a big dog :thumbsup: your a %*(&^% genius Gump.
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Bogey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:37 am

That is just plain frightening!! :eek: I hope everyone learns a thing or two there...like no duck is worth dying for! I bet everyone that almost "bit it", had at least a brief moment before the incident where they thought to themselves "should I be doing this..."

GLAD YOU MADE IT Tank!!!! :thumbsup: You'll feel much safer in my boat now!!! :cool:
Dare to be different
Bogey
hunter

Postby Gregor » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:43 am

another lesson tank survied...he's like the Forrest Gump of waterfowling.

:umm:

never use a float tube in moving water.
Gregor
hunter

Postby tank » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:49 am

Now ya tell me Gregor.
I didn't see a disclaimer on the damn thing :pissed:

I know what your thinking, YOUR A ^^$@#*(@* GENIOUS GUMP :getdown:
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Gregor » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:20 pm

well whatever you do…don't pull your pants down to show them your war wounds when you meet dignitaries!

that just ain’t right :eek:
Gregor
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting