How was everyones opening weekend?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

How was everyones opening weekend?

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:16 am

How was everyone's opening weekend? Or were you all out deer hunting?

It was the typical opener for me. People everywhere, shooting at birds way too high. I got two teal (speedballs!) I plan on hitting it again wednesday.

Lets hear from everyone how they did...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:03 pm

1 greenhead & 4 woodies best of all I never saw another hunter
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:18 pm

six saterday, one sunday, not that packed at winchester wasteway, we set up in bad spots both days, only heard of one set of hunters limiting on saterday, they got 4 geese each too, where did you go mike??
phillipstd
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:32 pm

New to this site, seems pretty cool. I went to Bellingham (visit bro) got one green winged teal and a shovler.
Phill where did you set up at winchester?
MacAttack
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:03 pm

well on saterday, we went out on dodson road, in the boat to where the canal opens up and starts spliting off into ponds, but every time ducks would circle and come down they would fly right over the top of two other guy's and either get shot at or flare off them, almost every time anyways, sunday we went a couple miles down the canal and set up just off the canal, didn't see alot flyin, and almost nothing took a look at us, one flared off me when I was putting on my coat, and I shot the other one.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:45 am

phillipstd,

Opening day I hunted the Crow Butte cove, yesterday I hunted in the paterson unit and got a few widgeons. I should have got more, but was caughing like crazy and shot like crap!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:09 am

Phil
I hunted winchester just about every weekend last year, one of my friends just loves that place, but we didn't have much luck out there. We don't have a boat, so we had to hike in. Hopefully we will get ahold of a boat this year.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:23 pm

How big is the winchester wasteway or whatever it is called? I have a deep V 12' boat and access to a 17' boat depending on how good the hunting is.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:45 pm

I always go there opening weekend, and it's all at least two feet deep, most of it, almost all of it is about 8 feet deep, but I heard on nov. 1 they lower the water level way down, I've never taken a boat out there in nov. so I don't know what will make it, there's more ducks killed in grant co. than in anyother co. by far, pheasents too, I'm gonna try and go there more this year. but opening weekend is alway's good for me.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:04 pm

That sounds like a really cool place to hunt if it is that shallow. There are way more ducks/geese and pheasants killed in grant co than any other county...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:42 pm

Yeah, its a nice place. Maybe my friends and I were doing something wrong last year, cuz we had little luck. I know some things, like getting more motion in our deeks, but other than that I am stumped. Could be where we are setting up. We don't have a boat so we hike in to "Scott's Point", don't know if that is the actual name of it, but it is like an hour hike from the road. Maybe some of you other hunters that have hunted the wasteway before could shed some light.

On another note, I am going to the Toppinish refuge this weekend, do any of the know of some blinds that would work out this early in the season that I could hike too. And I don't have a Indian Reservation liscense, but could get one. Let me know.. thanks

chris
MacAttack
hunter

Postby vwguy2004 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:04 am

went out on opening day at the privet pond i hunt off of road L NE and limited on 6 greenheads and 1 hen widgeon. had a great day and i am still knocking them at this spot.

vwguy2004
vwguy2004
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:40 pm

shot a bunch more friday, saterday, sunday on the black river, my old little hole is loaded with widgeon right now. no pheasants at the release sites around here yet, been out 6 times for them now and haven't shot one. pretty bad.
phillipstd
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting