Kapowsin Lake...

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Kapowsin Lake...

Postby friscoFreezy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Went to Kapowsin the other day to fish and scout around never been there before wanted to check out the place and see what it would be like to hunt and man I heard there were stumps out there but damn there's a lot of them! Saw the two wood blinds I know a couple of guys that hunt there but that's all. Looks to me like the other side of the lake from the blinds looks more ducky. Anyway like to hear your guys input on the place if you've hunted it. And also heard don't leave anything in the truck.
friscoFreezy
hunter

Re: Kapowsin Lake...

Postby drakehntr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Hunted that lake a dozen times per season when I lived closer several years ago. Don't think I ever limited out, but always got some shooting in and came home with a mixed bag. Yep, the stumps can get u. If u have a gps you can mark successful trails to a hunting spot after some trial and error in the boat. Shot my first Bluebills there and never even saw that species at any of my other locations. Now I hunt the Big C most of the season and Bluebills are a pretty common bird in my bag, but so much fun to hunt. I found a pic from a hunt on Kapowsin back in 2005. Keep scouting, be safe, and knock em dead this Fall!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby Bgold » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I’m moving about 20 minutes away from that lake here in a few weeks.Needless to say I’ll be doing some hunting on that lake this next season.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 am

watch out for the tweekers in that area. i've heard it's gotten really bad in recent years. don't leave anything worth stealing in your truck.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Make sure to park on top of all the broken auto glass. Lightning never strikes twice.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby younghunterboy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 pm

I don't hunt geese very often but do you guys think its worth it to go to Kapowsin lake for early goose season. I don't care if i limit out or not (didn't say that limiting out was bad) but is there enough there to try or not.
younghunterboy
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

younghunterboy wrote:I don't hunt geese very often but do you guys think its worth it to go to Kapowsin lake for early goose season. I don't care if i limit out or not (didn't say that limiting out was bad) but is there enough there to try or not.

I would reccomend trying 20 minutes away from there on chokonacok resivoir, usually has a few hundred geese on it, haven't hunted it in about 6 years.
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 am

Based on the internet scouting there are going to be about 500 john boat on Kapowsin come opening day.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:55 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Based on the internet scouting there are going to be about 500 john boat on Kapowsin come opening day.

I even hunted it once back in 2010. Its a gorgeous location but nothing special bird wise, especially now that, as Scaup mentioned, there are likely another 100 people from WA that read this thread. :lol3:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby younghunterboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Honkerblaster wrote:
younghunterboy wrote:I don't hunt geese very often but do you guys think its worth it to go to Kapowsin lake for early goose season. I don't care if i limit out or not (didn't say that limiting out was bad) but is there enough there to try or not.

I would reccomend trying 20 minutes away from there on chokonacok resivoir, usually has a few hundred geese on it, haven't hunted it in about 6 years.

So where is it i cant find chokonacok resivoir. or r u just bsing me
younghunterboy
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting