Waterfowl hunting in the state of Washington

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Waterfowl hunting in the state of Washington

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:48 am

I am entertaining a job offer in Pullman. I spent some time in Moses Lake when I was a young tad. It seems that there is some waterfowl hunting in that part of the state. My question is how do you rate public hunting areas in Washington for ducks and geese. And can there be excellent duck and goose hunting for someone willing to do their homework on public land?

C12
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby T-Bone » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:22 pm

Pullman is in a beautiful area known as the Palouse. I would rate Public Hunting Areas in E. WA as "good" with the possibility for excellent shooting; if you are willing to scout and do some homework.

The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife website is a good place to do some online scouting:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/

Click on: "Regional Offices" and "Hunting" for starters.

Also, buy a copy of the WASHINGTON ATLAS & GAZEETER; on p.15 you will find most (but not all) of the major, Public Hunting Areas.

The Palouse and the Pullman Area is in the heart of some of Washington's best pheasant hunting; with last year being exceptional. California quail and Huns are plentiful, too.

Feel free to PM me; if you have any questions. I live in Rockford, just South of Spokane and North of Pullman.
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info... I have hunted and fished in the state of Colorado all my life. I have outfitted for big game as well. I know my state wildlife areas like the back of my hand and am very sucessful at hunting them. I have no fear of doing some extensive scouting to hunt another state. This job offer is sounding attractive only because pullman is a very small town and is home to WSU. My uncle lives in Kenniwick and taught school until he retired a few years ago, his wife still teaches at the community college there. There has been no job offer yet but I believe there will be. In which case you may get a foriegner who loves to hunt and fish. I will check out the link...Thanks bunch

C12
Citori12

Postby T-Bone » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:37 am

You are very welcome, Citori12.

On the WDFW website, be sure to check out the location and maps of each Region's Wildlife Areas within each Regional Office's own website.

For more public lands info., contact the U.S. Forest Service and BLM offices as well as the Washington State DNR:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/dataandmaps/maps/index.html

Your uncle and aunt live in a favorite area for duck hunting, the Tri-cities. McNary Wildlife Refuge and state lands along the Columbia offer great waterfowling. The Snake River offers some very good hunting, too.

Deer, elk and black bear hunting is available in S.E. WA, also.
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:57 am

Thanks T, I did check out that site. It appears washington has some areas with cougar concerns also. I checked out harvest info, wildlife area regulations in which there are some specific ones for specific areas. I already know alot of scouting would be in order to have reasonable sucess but the population and the numbers of waterfowl harvested is intriguing. Looks like a good duck boat would be in order also though I have noticed some areas that might be good walk in. Because I have spent most my life here I know exactly where to go and when to hit certain areas here. Maybe a little change would be welcome to learn hunting in Washington state. You information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
C12
Citori12

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:10 am

Citori-

Pullman has some good duck and goose hunting with great duck and goose hunting near by. A lot of that area is who you know. There is a ton of pheasants around the area, and a lot of wheat. Housing in Pullman is very expensive but just outside it gets a little cheaper.

In any event, if you do end up coming here, look me up. Im about 2 hours from there but have a lot of friends that went to school there so I know a little about the hunting around there.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:46 am

I have my second interview for this job tomorrow. As before my Uncle and his wife have made a very good life in Kennewick and seem to like the community very much. Washingtons wildlife regulations are almost as bad as ours but because I can almost read I think I can make heads and tails of what I need to look at to enjoy some great outdoor pursuits. I learned how to fish in Moses lake for crappies. My father was there on contract many many moons ago. I will be sure to look you up if this job pans out. I would be working for an electronic firm in Pullman. I have researched the housing and most of it seems pretty conclusive to college students. We will see how the interview goes... If I end up there you can bet will will be trapsin around the area looking for hunting areas!!
Thanks
Ram!
Citori12

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:02 am

Is your job at Sweitzer (sp?) Engineering Labs? I have a good friend who works there.

Pullman is a beautiful place. honestly I would love to live there. They get a fair amount of snow every year, the whole palouse valley is very pretty.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am

YUP! you hit it right on but is there any other electronic business in Pullman?? :laughing: :laughing: It would be a great change of pace to live small town again....But we will see...I interview very well by the way...

Thanks
Ram!
Citori12

Moving to Pullman

Postby Triggerman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:52 pm

I lived in Pullman while attending WSU, and did a lot of hunting and fishing around there.

My father-in-law lives in Moscow, ID (7 or so miles away), and I still get to go visiting 4 to 5 times a year, even though I now live in Seattle and it is quite a drive to Pullman (yes, upland hunting is that good!).

I can tell you from experience that in my opinion, Whitman County is one of the best spots in Washington for upland hunting - you can find a large number of pheasants, quail and partridge around the Palouse, and chukar at the river breaks. Oh yes, you can also do your waterfowling at the snake - geese and many species of ducks. There is even some doves to be had during season.

Keep in mind that you'll be less than an hour drive from the Snake River, with excellent fishing opportunities (bass, catfish, perch, sturgeon, steelhead, trout), tons of mule deer and whitetails, and rabitts.

There is also a good herd of elk nearby (Blue Mountains and Umatilla National Forest), by Asotin, and more turkeys than you'd know what to do with, both North (Colville area) and South (Clarkston) of Pullman. You can also find grouse around Clarkston.

I am sure you won't be dissapointed with the hunting opportunities should you take the job.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:05 pm

I am overwelmed by the responses I recieved on this post.....which tells me that there is some outstanding people in washington who have great values and character!!!!!!.....something that I am slowly loosing here in Colorado...I have some great friends here....(by the way I can continue my education at WSU) this school is as good as CU if not better!!!!!!!! I have been doing alot of internet surfing...and it tells me that there is some great value in considering this job!!!!!!!

To all the washington folks, if I get the job and accept it.....You will see me in the field....wether I am scouting or carrying a gun....I really really appreciate the input I have recieved here I doubt that would have happened on the colorado site...
Thanks Guys!!!!!!
I have no doubt I will be sharing some good times with all of you....even if I do not accept the job!!!!!!
C12
Citori12

Postby choclab » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:55 am

Hope you get the job C12 :thumbsup: Washington is the only state you can hunt three types of turkey, two types of elk, 3 types of deer, cougar, bear, moose, bh sheep, and goats. Not a bad state.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:34 pm

They are providing all expense paid trip to do one on one interviews very shortly...so do you Washington men care if a good old Colorado boy comes to live in your wonderful state..I got 100 dollars that tells me I will have a good idea of your public hunting grounds and where and when I should go in about 6 months from accepting the job...NO SKYBUSTING, NO INCONCIDERATION, hunt legally and follow the rules wether I shoot anything or not, I have taken my share....I also checked out some shooting ranges cause this time of year I practice with my rifles, pistols, bows and shotguns....it may be that I have to give up my moderator in the Colorado forum to become simple old hunter in washington..but from what I have heard...it is a state to be proud to live in...let ya know what happens
C12
Citori12

Postby nwringneck » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 pm

Well, we have our share of ringers just like any place but by and large most folks here in WA State are very open with their info under the right circumstance. If you make it here, welcome.
Brad/NWR
nwringneck
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:09 am

The front range of Colorado has gotten way out of hand, farm land to condos, ect ect...cost of living is sky high and people have become rude. We are having water issues and most people do not know that it is greatly effecting our agriculture as well as our wildlife. But we got golf courses on every street corner. I am coming up in three weeks for a one on one interview the company I am interviewing with would not be doing that unless they were very serious. If the job is offered looks like I am going to Washington!!!
C12
Citori12

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 am

Good luck C12. If you move here you have a spot in my blind or boat anytime. While you are here you should really stop and get a tin of cougar cheese. I live the American Gold and Smoked Chedder, its a real treat with a nice beer.

mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:29 am

Thank you very much...and the same to you...your welcome to hunt with me anytime...I like that tip on the cheese...we will certainly get some while in Pullman! I was going to drive up and visit my uncle in Kennewick...however, looks like they are flyin me in all expenses paid...because I am not a jerk I am only requesting modest accomodations so that the company gets a chance to meet with me in person without breaking someones bank account to do so...just my redneck upbringing I suppose!
Citori12

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 am

C12- You won't break the bank on that company. They have the $$..

Pullman beer, cheese and the eye candy is quite the experience.... :)
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:58 am

No doubt but I am a little old for the eye candy but hey the beer and cheese sound awesome!!!!! I am figuring that they probably do have the dollars...but good business practices tell me that I should very considerate and modest....especially when the job offer comes across I am definetly make em step up to the plate for a very handsome salary...
Citori12

Postby bob » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:11 pm

This is all just my personal experience:

I do a lot of duck hunting in eastern Washington and always on public land. It can be great at times and very slow at other times. Changing weather seems to push groups of birds into this area and it is good one week and then slow the next. Also, in some years the ducks seem to stay around for the winter and in some years I think they just migrate through on their way to California. I have only hunted the Pot Holes resivoir one time and didn't get any ducks, but maybe the people who know how to hunt it always do well there.

There is an awfull lot of public land in eastern Washington that has duck hunting. A lot of eastern Washington was not homesteaded until the big irrigation projects were built in the 40s or 50s, and much of the land right along the rivers was kept as public land - not just to the high water mark - but for maybe a quarter mile or more from the river.

The banded birds I've bagged have all been from Alberta on the east side of the Rockies. So, some of those birds cross the Rockies some where and migrate into the Columbia Basin. They don't all go down the central flyway.

There are all kinds of hunting and fishing opprotunities within a few hours of Pullman. NE Oregon and Idaho have a lot of great places. The south end of Cour D'Alene lake has great largemouth bass fishing. The Snake has many small mouths. The Clearwater, Snake, and Salmon rivers have salmon and steelhead. There are turkeys in Idaho and NE Oregon. Also, lots of chukar. Idaho and NE Oregon have great deer and elk hunting. Also, there are some great rivers if you like white water rafting and kayaking.
bob
Newb

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:07 am

I will be in Pullman tomorrow afternoon, and remain until my interview is over. I may get a chance to take a rental car outside town with a map and see if I can jump a gopher hole with a honda civic haaaaa kidding
Citori12

Postby choclab » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:58 pm

Jump the holes!!!!!! Rental cars are kinda like hookers.........you do stuff to them you would never dream about doing with your wife. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:44 pm

Damn!!!!!! :withstupid: I am here in Pullman as I speak or write...I could not find a gopher with in 20 miles either direction of Pullman. Have heap big powwow tomorrow and tonto must soon deliver ranger from trouble soon!!!!!!

The people in washington have treated me with respect and courtesy which speaks highly of all the DHC members and thier familys...college kids treat me like ka ka.....cause I am old and I did notice an old folks home that overlooked nice green grasses of farmland.....

Interestingly enough cannot jump my rental toyota corolla anywhere in this town...but my ford pu would have been great with the college boys.....well I admit I say a mercedes SUV here so I am a bit disappointed!!!! talk to you guys soon as always...... :thumbsup: For the men in washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Citori12

Postby choclab » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:12 am

If you don't like fancy dancy SUV's......I would probably stay on that side of the mountains (pullman). Seattle is pretty liberal.........and rich. They got all kinds of SUV's over there.....and it's all concrete with no snow. Don't understand the need to have an SUV with 15 different kinds of 4x4 with no snow or dirt roads.
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:39 am

:withstupid: I have just returned from Pullman. I liked the farm country that Pullman is nestled in. I had pheasants walking through my hotel parking lot. Schwietzer is a privately owned company. Mr Schwietzer owns 1/2 of the city other than WSU. Pullman is very liberal and rich. Its like our mini Boulder, Colorado. The views and politics in Boulder do not reflect the views and politics of the common working man. The same is true for Pullman. The people of Washington state were extremely friendly. (outside of Schietzer). They are honest hard working people and courteous, which is an asset in my book. I went into Moscow, Idaho and found it more blue collar than Pullman. So as a result I will not be accepting a job from Schwietzer engineering. The good thing is I have recieved a job offer the night before my interview in Pullman. So as I was walking on to the aircraft I had already had a gracious offer here at home. In addition to move to Washington I would have to leave my family and fiance...so I am not coming to Washington. But would have been given a warm welcome from the common folk there as well as the DHC members that PM'd me about my possiblitly of living in Pullman. Thanks guys!!!!
Citori12

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting