Southern Alberta Hunting?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Southern Alberta Hunting?

Postby novice870 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 am

Greetings! I was wondering if any one knew anything about waterfowl hunting in Southern Alberta, specifically around Lethbridge. A friend of mine invited me on a guided hunt there in late September. I know that northern Alberta is great, but I am curious what bird counts are like in the southern part. Also I wanted to thank everyone again for your input on my post several months back about dog training books. I have used Wolters a lot as well as some help from a local trainer, and my 9 month old chocolate lab Moose, is coming along nicely. Thanks again. Only about 12 1/2 weeks until Autumn is here!
novice870
hunter

Postby Hevi/shot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:21 pm

For me, a good guided hunt is about the people who you are hunting with. You can have a lousy hunt, but still have fun with a great guide (good people). You can also have a great hunt as far as shooting ducks/geese, but have an *!%!&^! for a guide. Has you buddy hunted with this group before? Or is there anyone you could talk too who has hunted with this outfitter.

Just food for thought! :salude:
"Living the dream"
Hevi/shot
hunter

Postby novice870 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks for the reply Hevi-shot. I totally agree with you about the hunt being as much about the experience as the bird numbers. It just happens that the friend that I am going with is much older than I am and this will probably be his last year of hunting because of his health problems. He has been a mentor to me in both life and waterfowling. Just the trip up to Alberta and the whole experience is going to be once in a life time. The guide is a well known dog trainer up there and has a great reputation as a person and trainer. He has gotten into the guiding as kind of a after thought to training, but has really enjoyed it. He has quite a bit of leased land. I feel pretty good about him and his operation. I just wondered if in general southern alberta gets good waterfowl numbers, espcially in the praire east. We are also going to do some upland hunting and I know that they have tremendous opportunities with that.
Thanks again for your response. I'll let you know in September how it turns out.
novice870
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting