Anyone on here hunt Whidbey Island??

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Anyone on here hunt Whidbey Island??

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am

I was stationed out there 1996 -1998 seasons and hunted again two times in 2000. Wondering if anyone else had hunted that or Stanwood for Snow Geese?

Joe Guide
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: Anyone on here hunt Whidbey Island??

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm

No snows anywhere.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am

Cougar125 wrote:No snows anywhere.

Wow, you're alive!
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 am

Cantshootwell wrote:

Wow, you're alive!

I'm on det right now to Nellie's AFB.
Cougar125
hunter

Whidbey Island Waterfowl Hunting Club

Postby Joe Guide » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 am

I remember the old...NAS W.I. WATERFOWL HUNTING CLUB....a crowd of active duty young and old repairing blinds and fixing up the area while stationed down there in the late 1990's. I wonder if Mike Merkle still shooting those sea plane base- saltmarsh blinds out of NAS WI? He enjoyed calling em as much as shooting em. Grand fellows really.

Former Vietnam figher pilots and Naval Acadmey graduates...CAPT Mike and CAPT Dean were some great wildfowlers and were some grand fellows to be around during wildfowl season. Of course....somedays were better than others...but occassionaly after a cold front - hunting was excellent...like days of old.

I got Mike into Fly fishing for Salmon when I was stationed out there....and understand that he got into training retreavers... after I left that assignment and was stationed down at Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA.

I guess that Matthew Klope was still out with the "Bird Bash Program" for big Navy. Matt is a great taxadermist too.

Best Regards,

Joe Guide
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Matt is still around.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Glad to hear that...I heard he's still doing the Bird Bash studies for big Navy. I heard that Mike and Dean are not hunting waterfowl much any more they were all wonderful sportsman when I was stationed out of NAS WI. Beautiful country out there in the NW Washington State.
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm

The blinds on NAS are kind of still there. They opened it up to the ocean so it is really tidal. Have done pretty decent this year there. Still a bunch of people get together and work on the blinds and do some clean up in the summer.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
Dogs Retrieves 120 ducks 1 goose
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Glad to hear that ya'll are enjoying Sea Plane Base Blinds # 3, 5, and 6. Does the area still flood bad during the month of January? Had to shoot SPB blind # 7 when that happened, it was way out in the Western sector. Lots of pintail whenever a front pushed through there.

My only regret was never going on a sea duck hunt out in one of the big bays off the island...there was a guide from off the island who used to use a large TDB duck boat with a 90 hp engine and always did very well on all manner of Sea Ducks and divers....brant, etc.
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Joe Guide wrote:Glad to hear that ya'll are enjoying Sea Plane Base Blinds # 3, 5, and 6. Does the area still flood bad during the month of January? Had to shoot SPB blind # 7 when that happened, it was way out in the Western sector. Lots of pintail whenever a front pushed through there.

My only regret was never going on a sea duck hunt out in one of the big bays off the island...there was a guide from off the island who used to use a large TDB duck boat with a 90 hp engine and always did very well on all manner of Sea Ducks and divers....brant, etc.

The guide doesn't guide anymore. Ben Getty killed many of the spots. He does still take friends out for fun. His boat is actually a 19' Bankes with a 90 hp. A nice set up for the salt.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:10 pm

The entire place floods with the tide and I mean deep. Matt is a good guys he has mounted a few birds for me.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
Dogs Retrieves 120 ducks 1 goose
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 am

Does CAPT Mike Merkle and CAPT Dean Dolquest still live and hunt ducks out there? They used to hunt with me when I was stationed there, and were pretty good waterfowl shots. Mike had a Choc lab, and Dean had a black Lab.

I did talk with Matthew, after he had done that OLF Bird Bash Survey near Swanquarter, N.C. for the US Navy....and he agreed that the navy did not need to build a multi-million dollar OLF out there, due to all the Snow Geese and Tundra Swans in that protected part of North Carolina. Matthew shot ducks with me a number of hunts that first season on Whidbey.

I understand the MP's keep a tight control on the waterfowl hunting nowadays.

Best Regards,

JOE GUIDE

Commander Walter Dinkins, CHC, USN (Ret)
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:23 am

There is that one lone snow goose that adopted a resident honker group on the North end. It never migrates. I have been watching that thing for years and am amazed nobody has taken it out by now.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 am

Joe Guide wrote:Does CAPT Mike Merkle and CAPT Dean Dolquest still live and hunt ducks out there? They used to hunt with me when I was stationed there, and were pretty good waterfowl shots. Mike had a Choc lab, and Dean had a black Lab.

I did talk with Matthew, after he had done that OLF Bird Bash Survey near Swanquarter, N.C. for the US Navy....and he agreed that the navy did not need to build a multi-million dollar OLF out there, due to all the Snow Geese and Tundra Swans in that protected part of North Carolina. Matthew shot ducks with me a number of hunts that first season on Whidbey.

I understand the MP's keep a tight control on the waterfowl hunting nowadays.

Best Regards,

JOE GUIDE

Commander Walter Dinkins, CHC, USN (Ret)

No clue who either of those guys are. I don't hunt much with the other guys I see out there. I've tried to, but its a little difficult.
Matt is still around. I'm heading over to his place in about an hour to skin some birds. We hunt at least a couple times a year together.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Matt is a good guy. I have a house full of his work.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby doc8402 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 am

Hey fellas I am new to whidbey I went out this morning on the seaplane base saw a few did not get any but I also had to leave because of soccer. I was wondering if any one was doing any goose hunting around I want to get a Honker in an bad way. Thanks for any info. Good luck to you all!

Doc
doc8402
Newb

Return to Washington Duck Hunting