Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 am

Well, I did it....I officially requested 12 weeks off from work next year(2013) from mid October to mid January.

Ordering my new boat in the next few days....Phowler Extreme 1860 with huntdeck and modified V.

Gonna be looking to take a lot of road trips next year and hunt my ass off for three months solid.

Who want's to join me and my dog Liberty Belle(Libby) for some hunts and some scouting this coming year? I'll be putting in a lot of hours on the boat and miles on the truck getting set for an all out assault on next years fowl:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Surfj9009
hunter

Re: Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Congrats! I took a look at that boat, very nice.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Good choice. Now you need to start finding guys that have week days off.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Tealer wrote:Good choice. Now you need to start finding guys that have week days off.

I know one guy already that can hunt almost any day of the week. I'm planning on hunting the pend orielle a lot but also want to head down to the Snake and the Columbia in the later season after everything freezes up. (Hence the v bow)

Anybody got a lead on a decent 8' camper that I can put on my truck for less than $1200?
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Skagit_Hunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Tealer wrote:Good choice. Now you need to start finding guys that have week days off.

Or every day off :eek: :huh: :lol:
Join WWA
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Ya know maybe if you lift up your skirt and show em your panties they will give you a pro-staff position
EX Pot stirring pro-staff...
Coot killing Pro-Staff...
Skagit_Hunter
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Who hunt's that much? :yes:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I will! :biggrin:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:07 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:Who hunt's that much? :yes:

I do. I thought you did :hammer:

Surfj9009 wrote:I will! :biggrin:

It's an experience.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Lets go!!
Haha.
I've actually even been considering any trip to Canada.
Gonna do as much as I can on the cheap. That's why I want to buy a camper.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Tealer wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:Who hunt's that much? :yes:

I do. I thought you did :hammer:

Surfj9009 wrote:I will! :biggrin:

It's an experience.

I've been slacking this season. Only waterfowl hunted 43 days so far this season.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Duckwise » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Wow 12 weeks! you must be non essential personnel.
Duckwise
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 am

Duckwise wrote:Wow 12 weeks! you must be non essential personnel.

Wow.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 am

Haha. Thanks for the confidence. :lol: I'm actually very essential personnel. :hammer: I work on a ship. My schedule is 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. Federal law will not allow my ship to operate without either myself or my relief on board.

But anyhow, I already had the first and last 4 weeks off...I only had to request the middle 4 weeks off.

Didn't want to mention in any sort of bragging kind of way... I do legimitly intend to meet some folks who are serious about taking some road trips to new or further areas and splitting gas costs or whatever.

Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up that I intend to be much more active here in the next 9 months and hope to meet a few guys or gals who want to get some kick ass trips in during the 2013 season......

I'll be available :thumbsup:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby dhoey07 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

Just curious, what are you going to do with all the birds you shoot when you're on the road? I think it's any hunters dream to take extended time off and hunt like that! Congrats to ya and have fun!!
dhoey07
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I'll probably eat as much as I can handle, vacuum seal some to freeze, make jerky with a bunch of it, and hopefully have enough left over that I can donate some to local soup kitchens and such.

I actually love duck hunting but don't care much for the meat. I give a lot of it to my mom who loves it, and she makes jerky for my dog with it now too for treats...so it doesn't go to waste.
Last edited by Surfj9009 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:14 pm

dhoey07 wrote:Just curious, what are you going to do with all the birds you shoot when you're on the road? I think it's any hunters dream to take extended time off and hunt like that! Congrats to ya and have fun!!

Grind as you go...
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ebitzan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Duckwise wrote:Wow 12 weeks! you must be non essential personnel.

Jealousy... It's in the air this time of year :lol3:
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Duckwise » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Heck ya I'm jealous not many people can take take off 3 months paid vacation a year.
Unless they have some sort of government job. I'm happy to have 3 weeks paid vacation.
Anyway surf good for you have fun.
Duckwise
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 pm

It won't be any fun though if I don't have all my s**t together by then though!
I'm still new to waterfowlin. I've always been an upland guy
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:48 am

I've been thinking about using this time to write a book....or start a blog....or a journal, or something like that.

I've actually always enjoyed writing, so writing it down and documenting the timeframe could really end up being something I'll look back on later in life and be able to share with others. Kinda reminds me of listening to all my grandfathers hunting stories from his younger days.....and I would love to be able to share that with my kids someday. Not only to recount his stories, but to add mine as well.

I guess grandpa has inspired me tremendously, and I owe it to others to carry his legacy forward and share it. I'm the only hunter left in my family, at least until I have kids.

For me, being out there isn't always about packing the freezer. I've never found anything more soul satisfying than being out hunting with my dog and watching the sun cross the sky while laying under a tree or watching the snow fall in total silence. Not to get all softy on ya.....but it suits me more than anything I could have dreamed of.

I can't wait to park my camper somewhere for a few days, sit by the fire with some good cold micros or some scotch.....and watch the crackle of the fire with a tired dog under my feet and a clear sky above my head.

I know I can do all of this already... and I do....but considering how much planning and prep I am already doing to get ready for the blitzkrieg....I would be rather foolish to not document the journey as much as possible.

I've taken two or three day hunting trips here and there to hunt pheasant.....but this will be epic. Waterfowling, quail and pheasant from anywhere east of the cascades to Boise ID. Pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Huns in Montana. Snake River chukkar. Stevens county grouse. The shortening day and the cold wind biting my ears. The snow quietly melting on my face in the layout blind but remaining on my dekes. Hands wrapped around the Thermos for heat. Occasional cheap motels for a shower.
Chocolate mini donuts melting from the heat on the dash, and my 12v heated coffee mug only getting unplugged at the quick stop. The dogs head on my lap in the truck after a good hunt with the heater cranked. I have already driven miles upon miles with that still damp chin soaking through my jeans or sweatpants and scratching behind her ears while she snored loud enough to make my leg itch from the vibration. (She don't sit in the back or the truck or in a crate....ever....she's in the cab right there with me every time. She works way to damn hard not be. And she's a pretty damn good listener too!)

Strange how small things like that affect you when you take a step back from everything else around you, even yourself, and let them.

Sounds like a plan doesn't it? This year I was fortunate enough to spend more time alone with my grandfather than I have in a very long time. Hearing the hunting tales of his youth and on, really changed me and strengthened my resolve to live my life like he did. An unwavering and fearless hunter. No weather too tough, no wind too challenging. No wilderness too remote. No snow too deep. No hike too long for that sly late season rooster. The light in his eyes when describing the thunder of his heavy-as-hell 10 gauge double barrel sending a fat honker to the ground.

His stories of shooting squirrels on his way to school and back to help his family make it through the depression, the solenoid triggered shotguns mounted on the wings of his small plane in Alaska that he rigged up for dive bomb-hunting wolves. Landing the plane to reload and back in the air on the hunt again. (He was a pilot in the Air Force. Him and a couple fellow pilots bought the plane and flew it to Alaska from Alabama.)

We all enjoy a great hunting story every now and then. I plan on living one next year, and while I thoroughly enjoy my time afield alone with the dog, I can't be selfish and keep it all to myself. I hope to share a blind someday with some of ya or work a few fields. Who knows, maybe you'll even make it into the book!! haha

I have full intention of posting up when I am heading to certain areas and throwing out invites to folks who are available or in the area. I wont be asking for too much direction or for your honey holes, and I fully intend to have my own spots picked out before I get there. If you got another spot in mind...well hey, that could work too. (I am however desperately trying to find some flooded timber ANYWHERE in the Pacific Northwest)

I'm already getting excited for this vacation and anxious as hell, as I'm sure you can tell. I really really really hope the world doesn't end in a few days. :rolleyes:

So, enough sweetie pie and softy rambling right?!

I'll leave you with a quote I just read a few days ago from a new hunting novel I'm reading called “The Fragrance of Grass”, by a Frenchman named Guy de la Valdene. This quote is the opening line of the book, and somehow it completely jumped out at me. I picked up the book in the bookstore, opened it to the first page, read this line, closed the book and walked to the cashier immediately. Again, strange right? I guess I really am a simple man. :smile:

"Between the four pads of a dogs foot, the fragrance of grass"
-Jim Harrison
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby northern hunter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:51 am

Sounds like a great idea, At least a journal. If you have an invite to a scouting trip or hunt I will try to take you up on that. Sounds like a great time good luck to you..
northern hunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 am

I didn't know the amish duck hunted...

All joking aside, sweet!, dude.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Please don't pick on my culture. It's offensive.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am

Surfj9009 wrote:Please don't pick on my culture. It's offensive.

If you find that offensive you might consider moving to a new forum....

I'm just jealous because I can't grow a beard :sad:
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Surfj9009 wrote:Please don't pick on my culture. It's offensive.

Are you Amish? Culture is something to hold on to.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting