Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Re: Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby Surfj9009 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Haha. I'm not Amish.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Damn! If you were I was going to try and order a Amish made electric fire place.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm

If I knew I had all season off and paid..... It would be a rough 9 month off season, it is anyway. Honestly I would start keeping a notebook of things you want to do. Sea ducks? Divers? Puddlers? Geese? Snows? I would be finding guys everywhere in the state that want to hunt. 107 days is long enough to do it all with a little planing.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Tealer wrote:If I knew I had all season off and paid..... It would be a rough 9 month off season, it is anyway. Honestly I would start keeping a notebook of things you want to do. Sea ducks? Divers? Puddlers? Geese? Snows? I would be finding guys everywhere in the state that want to hunt. 107 days is long enough to do it all with a little planing.

Tealer, can I hunt with you?
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:
Tealer wrote:If I knew I had all season off and paid..... It would be a rough 9 month off season, it is anyway. Honestly I would start keeping a notebook of things you want to do. Sea ducks? Divers? Puddlers? Geese? Snows? I would be finding guys everywhere in the state that want to hunt. 107 days is long enough to do it all with a little planing.

If you want too. I'm kinda of a hunt slut, anybody, anytime, anywhere. At least for the first hunt.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Tealer wrote:
Cantshootwell wrote:

If you want too. I'm kinda of a hunt slut, anybody, anytime, anywhere. At least for the first hunt.

You sir, just combined two things I love. Sluts and hunting.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Tealer, I see your a Widmer Bros. Pro Staff!!
I'll share my boat with ya any day! We just gotta make sure we have some Brrrr for after!
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Surfj9009 wrote:Tealer, I see your a Widmer Bros. Pro Staff!!
I'll share my boat with ya any day! We just gotta make sure we have some Brrrr for after!

There is no better beer.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Brrrr is an amazing beer, and usually stockpile enough cases to have some in the spring and summer too.
But I miss Snow Plow. That was their best ever, and I hope to see them bring it back, even if just once in a while, say every couple years.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:20 am

Preparation Progress Report:
- Got an app for my iPhone called "Pure Gas" - This will help me find gas stations with ethanol free fuel while on the road

- Spoke with a head honcho from the corporate office about picking up a few extra weeks of work this year. My company has several ships in the US, and I should be able to rotate in and pick up a few extra weeks here and there before my vacation. Doing so will help me tremendously. Of the twelve weeks I am going to be off.....I will only receive pay for four. Shouldnt be hard to pick up a few weeks though, and this will help offset the cost of the new boat, boat motor(hopefully) and camper.
I work four weeks on and four off normally, so I technically only get paid 6 months of the year. I do earn vacation pay though that is being stockpiled for this time off.

- Made final decision on custom boat build specs and details: It's gonna be the Phowler 1860 Extreme, with the following:
1/8 inch one piece hull, V-bow, hunt deck, dual fuel tanks, trolling motor bracket, rear pod seats, full floor, movable gun box, metal only center console(I'll put in steering system myself), dual 12v accessory plugs(one forward and one on console, full side splash rails, extra battery bracket under extended deck, gator grip in the paint, upgrade to 4 breaker panel, Reelfoot Deluxe Camo in and out. Also gonna have them add a couple padeyes or loops to fit the GatorTrax hunt deck style dog ladder on either side of the huntdeck.
I just need to call the guy who gave me my quote and hash out a few small details and then I'll put my deposit down.

- Ordered a radio and speaker package for it. I'll be rocking some AC/DC in this **** :bow:

Couple things on the bucket list as of now:
-get a license from the Kalispel Tribe so I can begin the season in September
-hunt cut corn!!! Never done it and I want to!
-field hunt geese
-hunt waterfowl with my grandpa down by Boise/Meridian(been years since he has gone out due to a medical condition that screws up his balance big time in the dark....can't remember what it's called)
-combined pheasant/chukkar and duck hunts along the Snake
-pheasant and huns in eastern Montana?
-collect as many growlers from regional brewpubs as possible :beer: (I don't drink anything other than beer or scotch. And I don't drink when I hunt, but I always share a beer with the dog post hunt. Well, I drink the beer, she gets a few laps. Afters she eats her dinner she gets a few more laps here in there if I got a beer out.)

- Finalized my blind manufacturer decision. I'm gonna go with the Avery Quickset. I can get it for a great price and I think it will suit my needs just fine. There were a few others in serious consideration but this one will do for now. (I like my layout blind anyhow and have no problem parking the boat down the beach a bit and walking back to my layout.

-Spent one solid hour working on my goose calling....still can't get it right but I'll get there sooner or later. (I'm using a Pacific Calls 509 and yes, I have the Bad Grammer DVD) :oops:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 am

Some things off the top of my head I still need or want to get, or details to sort out. Please feel free to add suggestions
-getting the boat from Iowa to Spokane when it's done....do I fly down and rent a truck and trailer, ship it, or drive my 8-10MPG truck down with my own trailer to get it. $$$$$$$$ Lot's of research to do on that but I have time. Might just put it up on Uship.com for bid.
-VHF/weather radio
-snow cover for the dog blind, it's the Rodgers Pooch Palace. (Don't want to use a sheet. Does anybody know which cover fits this dog blind? )
-portable generator for the camper
-get alarm installed in my truck and wired so that the camper can be added to the alarm also
-GPS/Depth finder for boat
-spotlight or headlights for boat(considered having Phowler install one of their options but their cost seems pretty high for something I know I can install myself)
- LED lights installed in boat interior
- train dog not to break as soon as the guns go up or birds come in close to dekes, continue to train basic directional casting, continue enforcing heel, hold, here and load. (I use load for her command to get in her blind. Weird I know, but I taught her "load" to mean "get in the truck", so it was an easy adjustment for her. She sees it as "get in your spot". )
-run Seafoam through carb and gas tank and oil several times in the next few months, rebuild carb, extend tiller handle since it will be on the huntdeck till I can afford a better motor, replace water pump impeller, inspect lower unit. I don't have a ton of hours on the motor since I got it. It's my first outboard, and I just need to spend some time getting familiar with it. It's a 1979 Evinrude two stroke 35.
-look further into Dragon voice recognition software since it takes me forever to type crap out
-figure how I'm gonna store all this meat if I'm on the road or away from home for long periods of time (already have Foodsaver. Might plan on borrowing mom's dehydrator so I can jerky up a bunch if I stay in the same spot for long enough with power)

Yeah....so ya'll might not care to see my to-do list....but there it is!

What else..........
Last edited by Surfj9009 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 am

Tealer wrote:If you want too. I'm kinda of a hunt slut, anybody, anytime, anywhere. At least for the first hunt.

Is that for anybody? I'm going to need a weekend away from the other half between now and Jan 15. I'll sleep in the truck. :)

Cantshootwell wrote:You sir, just combined two things I love. Sluts and hunting.

I knew you were easy. LoL
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 am

Cougar125 wrote:
Tealer wrote:If you want too. I'm kinda of a hunt slut, anybody, anytime, anywhere. At least for the first hunt.

Is that for anybody? I'm going to need a weekend away from the other half between now and Jan 15. I'll sleep in the truck. :)

Cantshootwell wrote:You sir, just combined two things I love. Sluts and hunting.

I'm not sure why you guys would want with me? There are a bunch of guys that do fat better then I do.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 am

Tealer wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

I'm not sure why you guys would want with me? There are a bunch of guys that do fat better then I do.

Ya know...that may be true...but we haven't put money down on a whaling/hogging bet yet.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 am

Surf that's a good start. AC/DC is perfect at 3am outta a duck boat. I'd have the boat shipped. Stay with the calling all off season and you will get good enough to kill them.

Small piece of advice, never hunt past 11am. Use the rest of the light to scout. If you don't find birds after a hunt don't be afraid to take a day off to scout. When your at it that many days, it can be tough to stay on the birds. Unless your paying for a pile of leases.

Make as many friends as possible everywhere in the state. Makes it more fun to share experiences, and beers.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:47 am

Cougar125 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Ya know...that may be true...but we haven't put money down on a whaling/hogging bet yet.

Damn sausage fingers on my touch screen. :lol3: :lol3:

I haven't been hogging in years, almost a decade. I used to be really good though.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 am

Tealer wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Damn sausage fingers on my touch screen. :lol3: :lol3:

I haven't been hogging in years, almost a decade. I used to be really good though.

LoL. That's why I still have a keyboard on my phone.

I quit going hogging a long while ago, but then again I never found it pair when the other guy was playing "pound for pound". :hammer: j/k
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:35 am

Tealer wrote:Surf that's a good start. AC/DC is perfect at 3am outta a duck boat. I'd have the boat shipped. Stay with the calling all off season and you will get good enough to kill them.

Small piece of advice, never hunt past 11am. Use the rest of the light to scout. If you don't find birds after a hunt don't be afraid to take a day off to scout. When your at it that many days, it can be tough to stay on the birds. Unless your paying for a pile of leases.

Make as many friends as possible everywhere in the state. Makes it more fun to share experiences, and beers.

Good advice and I do appreciate it :thumbsup:
I do intend to work on calling all year. I want to be ready to rock when the season starts. I'm on the ship now, and so I have a fair amount of down time on my hands, so that helps. Plus I practice in my truck at home too.
Not intending to pay for leases. I'll be working public land or FFTH lands. I'm planning on doing a lot of driving this year to scout some of the areas I intend to hunt too, so hopefully that will give me opportunities to do some door knocking too.

Usually when I hunt pheasant, I always make time to knock on some doors after or before I hunt. Networking is huge and I definitley hope to make some friends on here and be able to extend some invitations when the time comes for scouting or hunting.

Gonna spend a good deal of time running the new boat and laying down GPS tracks so I'll be ready to go as much as possible.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:18 am

Tealer wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

I don't really care about how well you do. I just look to hunt with cool people. If you hunt with cool people then it doesn't matter how well you do because you still have a good time.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 am

Agreed. That's also why it's called hunting not gathering.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:35 am

Bummer. Christmas Eve and I'm stuck out here on a ship.

Thought I would post a progress report real quick:

Listed the boat on Uship to get an idea of what shipping will cost. Lowest bid I have gotten so far is $1188, but that guy has no feedback so I'll probably be going with the other bidder at $1520. That's a lot of dough. I may just fly there, rent a truck and drive it home myself. I really don't want to do that, but that may be cheaper than trying to drive my truck. I think I only get 8-10 MPG, and I can't tow it with my car. None of my buddies trust their vehicles well enough to drive that far. crap I dunno what I'm gonna do yet....if The $1188 bidder had some feedback I'd feel good about that, but just cant trust him without it.
If anyone feels like a long haul run to the Phowler facility let me know!!!

Decided not to have Phowler do the deluxe camo on the boat. I can do some pretty badass rattle can camo myself for much cheaper, and if I modify or weld on the boat, I can make it match with some rattle cans much easier and wont feel bad about ruining the "original" paint.

Also, found a thread with a DIY on HID headlights, so that solves that!
http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12884

Still kinda undecided about whether or not I should just buy a new trailer and tow it home with that, or keep my existing trailer. Then I would be stuck selling a 16' Mirrocraft Deep V Fisherman hull with no trailer! Yeah....think I just need to but the damn trailer. A painted one, not galvanized. Can't see this boat ever hitting saltwater.

Started reading through my Seloc manual to get more familiar with my current 1979 motor. I am very mechanically inclined and can do any work or maintenance needed to make it last another year if need be, just gotta start getting familiar with it.

I would like to add electric start to it, and the charging system, so if anyone has a 1979 evinrude 35 two stroke parts motor or cheap motor, please PM me. Now I just gotta figure out how to extend the tiller handle to make it easier to reach (huntdeck adds 18" on stern) until I get the console thingy all figured out.

I'm still undecided on what motor I EVENTUALLY want to run, (outboard or surface drive), so I don't want to spend a pile of money on setting up my current motor in the console, just to have to do it again when I get a bigger motor. I'm not doing a jet for sure. Pretty much narrowed it down to the Pro Drive SD with hydro reverse, or a bigger outboard.

I've even been on the fence a bit the last few days on doing the center console at all. Seems like a lot of extra cost once you add it all up, and I'll lose good floor space too. But the convenience of sitting or standing comfortably while driving from a console would be nice. Especially in the fog, or when there is ice and its dark, or when I am near shallow areas when the river levels are low. Plus, where else would I put the stereo unit!? I think I just need to do the console and deal with the lost space and make do.

Last load I had in the boat(1660 Mirrocraft, two bench seats removed to open floor) was:
two people: 200, 225
two gun bags,
two blind bags,
two Avery Layout blinds,
one dog blind,
3 dozen full size dekes in long slotted bags(3 bags)
8 goose floaters in slotted bags,
8 Bigfoot goose in slotted bags, two dozen sillosocks(definitly impressed me last time :thumbsup: had about 20 geese land 2 feet away from them and they fed there for 20 minutes before we made 'em take flight)

Seems like a lot of stuff to load up around a console :help:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Well....it's official....I ordered the boat today.

Phowler Extreme V 1860 with all standard options plus:
18" Huntdeck
Modified v
Spud pole kit
Full side splash rails
Pad eyes on both side of hunt dog for Gatortrax type hunt deck dog ladder
Center console with NFB helm
4 switch breaker panel
Watertight hatch on bow under extended deck for anchor storage
Dual fuel tanks
Dual batteries
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Congrats man that is pretty exciting getting a new boat.
eagles2069
hunter

Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Surfj9009 wrote:Well....it's official....I ordered the boat today.

Phowler Extreme V 1860 with all standard options plus:
18" Huntdeck
Modified v
Spud pole kit
Full side splash rails
Pad eyes on both side of hunt dog for Gatortrax type hunt deck dog ladder
Center console with NFB helm
4 switch breaker panel
Watertight hatch on bow under extended deck for anchor storage
Dual fuel tanks
Dual batteries

Sounds like a tank. Good set of options.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 am

Thanks guys. Should be a great boat. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted, but this should be the first and last new boat I ever buy.
Still gonna add the CD player, interior lighting, bilge pump, and a proper dual battery setup.
I'll be doing most of the electrical myself.
Gonna keep my current outboard and add the electric starter and charging system for around $500-600.
Surfj9009
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Duck Hunting