MADE IT.

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

MADE IT.

Postby BFOX » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Allright ive talked to a couple of you guys allready , im here in Anacortes working and will be here in Washington until December . I really need some help on public hunting for anything that flies but mainly ducks , Im from East Texas and was here in January and Feb. and have never seen mallards as fat as yall have them. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Would be willing to take any trip to do some good hunting. Thanks. Also love to hunt pheasant , quail , and dove.
BFOX
hunter

Postby newduckhunter » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:19 pm

well if your into sea duck hunting, up and down all of the ocean coast holds great sea duck hunting.
newduckhunter
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:45 pm

I suggest you visit the WDFW website and checkout "Hunting" and also "Regional Offices"; under "Regional Offices", you will find the listing and mapping of the major, Public Hunting Areas:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/
T-Bone
hunter

Postby BFOX » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks for the info , ive pulled up there website and checked it out. One of the plant guys here has also been trying to talk me into a bear hunt and im thinking about doing it. Ive always wanted to hunt one and now seems like a good time.
BFOX
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:00 pm

pretty easy to find public spots. not only check with wdfw but use google to you advantage, theres great internet scouting to be had.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:36 am

You can hunt right there at the bridges by the casion on the left and side of 20 if your going east bound. It is a WDFW area. Also there is a ducks unlimted hunting area near by. It has a 15 shell daily limit and can get pretty packed in the morning but in the afternoons it is pretty much open. If you are going to go go early. If you need directions let me know.
dogsbestfriend
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:37 am

Also there is a place in down by Conway and Fur island
dogsbestfriend
hunter

Postby BFOX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:45 am

Man i really do appreciate that info DBF , i would like directions if you dont mind giving them up. Am i going to need a boat or can i make it with just waders. I had to leave my pup behind but ive got a couple of welders that volunteered to do the retrieveing, ha ha ha.
BFOX
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:48 am

The ducks unlimted site you will not need a dog and by the bridge on 20 you could probally get away with not having a dog. Those places you wont need a boat either. To get to the DU site take 20 east bound toward Skagit and turn left at the gas station after the bridge follow that road down about 15min till it dead ends into a T. Take a left at the T and you will will hit a 90 degree right turn the pull off is right there. You will pull into a gravel park lot and hump it back to the ponds. There is probally 10-15 ponds there to hunt and it can get pretty pack. I normally get there around 4 am and go towards the back and set up. I take breakfast with me that way after I set up I can eat and wait for shooting time. There is a wide varity of ducks that come in there. Also at the bridges normally all we shoot there is Greenwing Teel. Fur island you will probally need someone who has a dog. There are some crazy holes there. Last year we used a Fishing pole with a treble hook to retreive the ducks when we didn't have someone with a dog.
dogsbestfriend
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:30 pm

Telegraph Slough is the area off HWY 20; if Westbound, you will need to get into the left turn lane BEFORE the BIG bridge to come back Eastbound and the parking lot.

Welts / Samish is the 15 shell limit area off the Samish Exit off I-5 and West of Edison on the road to Samish Island; the parking lot is on the bend to Samish Island.

All of these units are part of the Skagit Wildlife Area. Also, check out the various divisions of the Lake Terrell Wildlife Area; especially, the Marietta Unit off the Slater Exit off I-5 before Ferndale. The parking area is on the right BEFORE the Nooksack Bridge; you need to park and walk across Slater Road to the blinds and the hunting area.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/r4wlarea.htm

BTW: The tidal hunting of FIR ISLAND hunts a lot better if you read the tide book every time you intend to hunt it.
:withstupid:
T-Bone
hunter

Postby BFOX » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:11 am

allright that is a lot of info for you guys to give up and i really appreciate it , not alot of folks give up info to a stranger , washington is one of the friendliest places ive been to in a long time , does the heart good to know that yall are real sportsmen thanks.
BFOX
hunter

No problem

Postby dogsbestfriend » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:14 pm

I am happy to help other people out. Last year was my first season in WA and some guys helped me out on where to hunt. I would just suggest that if you dont have someone who knows the area that you get out soon and scout these places out.
dogsbestfriend
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting