Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge Hunting Thread

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge Hunting Thread

Postby JonnyDollar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:24 am

Anyone ever hunt the Wildlife Refuge in Ridgefield? I hunted it 4 times last year and did ok. Not sure if anyone is familiar with that area but when I did I hunted blinds #7, #8, #10,and #11.

Just curious if anyone else hunted that and how they did in different blinds.....

:biggrin:
JonnyDollar
hunter

Re: Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge Hunting Thread

Postby Tealer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 am

I have hunted almost every blind out there. At one time or another I have done well in everyone, of them.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby JonnyDollar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Tealer wrote:I have hunted almost every blind out there. At one time or another I have done well in everyone, of them.

How did you do in the higher # blinds? I overheard someone down there say blind #14 was the best blind to hunt out of.....
JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm

JonnyDollar wrote:
Tealer wrote:I have hunted almost every blind out there. At one time or another I have done well in everyone, of them.

How did you do in the higher # blinds? I overheard someone down there say blind #14 was the best blind to hunt out of.....

:lol: :lol:
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby JonnyDollar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm

JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

My favorite is a tie between 15 and 1.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

They all can be good if you know how to hunt them. Some blinds just involve too much hiking for me :biggrin:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Those are usually the best though....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby JonnyDollar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm

WSUWESTON wrote:They all can be good if you know how to hunt them. Some blinds just involve too much hiking for me :biggrin:

Yeah blind #11 was one of those long hikes, but I did pretty good in that one..... I still want to try out blinds #14 through #19.

JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

JonnyDollar wrote:
WSUWESTON wrote:They all can be good if you know how to hunt them. Some blinds just involve too much hiking for me :biggrin:

Yeah blind #11 was one of those long hikes, but I did pretty good in that one..... I still want to try out blinds #14 through #19.

I have hunted all of the high numbers. I personally like any blind that's not right in the middle stretch, to easy to have a bad neighbor in the middle.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby JonnyDollar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 am

Tealer wrote:
JonnyDollar wrote:

I have hunted all of the high numbers. I personally like any blind that's not right in the middle stretch, to easy to have a bad neighbor in the middle.

lol. Yeah I was in blind #7 this past January and had someone in blind #5 peppering me all afternoon........... :smile:
JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:23 pm

I guess this where the personal personal preferences come in to play. I to prefer to hunt the higher # blinds, but you usually have to have a pretty good draw to get into MOST of those blinds. But i have no problem taking some of those middle cluster blinds. Sure you have to deal some of the skybuster type guys. but i've had lots of good hunts in the middle.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

JonnyDollar wrote:
Tealer wrote:
JonnyDollar wrote:

lol. Yeah I was in blind #7 this past January and had someone in blind #5 peppering me all afternoon........... :smile:

Yeah, sorry about that.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:24 pm

All y'all or is it Y'all all, just shoot spoonies down there don't you? :huh:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Ain't Nothing wrong with boot lips.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby duckdogger07 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Mmmmmm boot lip stew and coot steak make a good meal.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 pm

If you aren't picky what type of birds you shoot and are a decent shot, I usually would always get my limit. I normally would shoot the refuge in the afternoon and grab what ever blind was left or picked the best of the available options.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed May 01, 2013 2:14 pm

I have been thinking about hitting the refuge for one or two of those afternoon shoots to be able to say I have hunted there.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:53 pm

JonnyDollar wrote:

Blind 19 will usually stay on the board for the standby guys in the Am draw. But the other high # blinds usually go pretty quick.
I'm with Tealer #15 is my Fav. In case you couldn't tell by my moniker
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 am

Does Blind #19 ever produce worth a hoot? I am looking at the blinds map trying to figure it all out. I need hen & drake Shovelers to add to my growing collection of bird mounts.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Does Blind #19 ever produce worth a hoot? I am looking at the blinds map trying to figure it all out. I need hen & drake Shovelers to add to my growing collection of bird mounts.

If you know how to hunt it, helps to be a decent caller in that blind. Probably why nobody hunts it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 pm

We can safely say I am clueless how to hunt any of them, never having done so. I am sure I can figure it out. As for being a good caller, I suck at it. I still manage to kill enough ducks to make it worth going.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I'll take 19 in a heart beat if it's still on the board in the stanby loto.

The bottom line with Ridgefield or any other refuge for that matter is. There will always be a couple "Hero" blinds which you gotta have a #1 or #2 reservation to get in, or sleep in the res line, a couple crappers that you can put on your do not hunt list. Which leaves a mess of middle of the road average blinds that you can get in with a draw or even off standby. So a guy just needs to figure out what makes them tick. And i think this is where personal preference/ confidence plays in. I may like a blind and have had several good past hunts. Where somebody like Tealer may not care or flat out hate that particular blind. Case in point blind #9 you will hear all kinds of guys pissing and moaning about that blind, but i will take it in a pinch and have had several good hunts there.

last but not least just general waterfowl savy comes into play, HIIIIIIIDDDDDDINGGGGGGG, decoy spreads, calling, etc. I"ve taken blinds where guys have shot at nothing all morning then gone in behind them and had great days.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby JonnyDollar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 am

goosegunner12 wrote:I'll take 19 in a heart beat if it's still on the board in the stanby loto.

The bottom line with Ridgefield or any other refuge for that matter is. There will always be a couple "Hero" blinds which you gotta have a #1 or #2 reservation to get in, or sleep in the res line, a couple crappers that you can put on your do not hunt list. Which leaves a mess of middle of the road average blinds that you can get in with a draw or even off standby. So a guy just needs to figure out what makes them tick. And i think this is where personal preference/ confidence plays in. I may like a blind and have had several good past hunts. Where somebody like Tealer may not care or flat out hate that particular blind. Case in point blind #9 you will hear all kinds of guys pissing and moaning about that blind, but i will take it in a pinch and have had several good hunts there.

last but not least just general waterfowl savy comes into play, HIIIIIIIDDDDDDINGGGGGGG, decoy spreads, calling, etc. I"ve taken blinds where guys have shot at nothing all morning then gone in behind them and had great days.

This is great info, thanks for your input! :biggrin:

I'm hoping to get down there sometime this Summer to check out all the blinds while there is no water down there. It'd be nice to see how deep some of these spots will be during hunting season then to find out the hard way...
JonnyDollar
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting