New gun

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

New gun

Postby ohtajj » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I've been using an old $100 pawn shop Remington 870 since I started duck hunting 4 years ago. It has been a great gun and I've never had a single malfunction with it, but I'm thinking about getting into a semi auto something or other for next season... I'm looking to stay in the 7-800 dollar range and I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts. I've been looking at beretta A300 outlander, Mossberg 930 etc.
Of course this is assuming I can save the cash and find one by then.

Thanks guys

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Re: New gun

Postby Tealer » Wed May 22, 2013 9:37 am

Versa Max Sportsman
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Canada-hammer » Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Tealer wrote:Versa Max Sportsman

Is a pos
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Stick with the 870.

Though you could look at a Beretta A300 or maybe a NOS Beretta A390 might be available somewhere too.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I like my 870's. If I got an autoloader, I'd probably shoot a few of my friend's guns first to see what I like.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 pm

What's wrong with the Versa max?
I wish I could shoot some of them, but only guys with auto loaders that I know have a Benelli that there's no way I can afford and a Stoeger M3500 that I will shoot, but I'm not sure about it with the reviews that I'm reading being pretty mixed.

ohtajj
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Wed May 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Where ya at? I might be able to help. :beer:

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey thanks buddy! I'm on the east side Ill send you a PM. I probably won't be able to buy for at least few months but it'd be good to shoot as many as I can before I spend the money.

ohtajj
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Tool-Man wrote:Where ya at? I might be able to help. :beer:

Might? That's an understatement... :beer:
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed May 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Tealer wrote:Versa Max Sportsman

This! Love mine... Or an 1100 or 1187? If Remington has been workin for ya why change? Whatever you do stay away from Stoeger. I've seen and heard about too many malfunctions and other issues. Was hunting with a guy one day and the forend came clean off his M3500. Was in in the blind another day with two Benelli's one a Supernova the other an SBE2, neither would fire as the first group came in. The 870 I was shooting never missed a beat! So none are perfect but It's hard to mess with success. More money doesn't necessarily mean a better gun :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TiredDad » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I posted a thread a few months back about possibly buying a Stoeger M3500 and there is comprehensive coverage there if you are interested including links to reviews and one guy in Kansas's comprehensive two year review. I bought one, have shot about 150 rounds through it at the range without any issues. I have owned a 870 Wingmaster since I was 13 in 1979. Best gun I could ever hope for but I wanted to shoot larger than 2.75" shells. The poor Stoeger reviews are all around the M2000 model which has been discontinued in place of the M3000. In any event, I, like you, had a limited budget. My choices were the Outlander or the Stoeger. The only reason I chose the Stoeger was it could shoot 3.5" inch shells for my once or twice a year goose trip otherwise I would have chosen the Beretta. B/T/W - Beretta owns both Benelli and Stoeger. Stoeger's are manufactured in Turkey but have come a long way in working out their issues (see my thread with references and reviews).

Good luck!
TiredDad
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Where's chester870 to weigh in on this heated issue?! :hammer:

From what I have seen guys either love their autoloader or loathe their autoloader. If I had a quarter for everytime I had a buddy complain about an autoloader I would not have an ammo bill. I like the old pump 870 Express Super Mag I shoot. May not shoot wicked fast or look as wicked cool, but I think it controls the need/want/desire to lace the sky full of lead (eeehhhmmmm steel).

This is one desicion that a forum will unfortanetly not be able to provide much direction on. Personal preference. Like Dodge or Chevy.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby TiredDad » Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 pm

BTW - I bought mine at Outdoor emporium (Black synthetic) downtown Seattle for $540 (member price) if you were wondering. Best of luck. I still love my pump but thought I would finally try the semi. So far, so good! I do like the idea of the gas operated Outlander though - especially in 20 years when I am in my late 60's.
TiredDad
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the input and pm's guys. I will definitely try to shoot as many as I can before I make a purchase and may end up saving my money until I can get a top of the line model. We shall see. Maybe I should just keep my 870 and put the $ in the kids college fund :-?

Anyone who has any great experiences (or the exact opposite) feel free to weigh in. Ill end up making my own call, but its always good to hear from guys who have shot them.

ohtajj
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed May 22, 2013 10:23 pm

SnoGeez wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:Where ya at? I might be able to help. :beer:

Might? That's an understatement... :beer:

Another trap shoot? I got access to a few V Max's.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 am

I've had my 1187 for 16+ years now and it has served me well. My brother in-law has a Benelli Super Vinci that he enjoys. The only problem I have with the Vinci is that the barrel welded is welded to the receiver.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

The gun that I've had the least problems with was my cheapest purchase. Got myself a Mossberg 500 for 230 back when I lived in Illinois. Short of losing the innards for a while, its never had issues. It's got the ports on top of the barrel which helps with recoil a little. Which is a non issue as is.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 pm

If you want to shoot a Maxus, I'll be in the Tricities soon, not sure where you are.
I've had an 870 express chambered in 3" for 20+ years. It's a little worn but it's still my very favorite firearm I own. Having said that, an auto is real fun in a duck blind.

My free advice is to buy the best quality firearm you can afford. I still own every single gun I've ever purchased except a cheap 12 gauge my dad bought me that was a pos, I just don't sell them. Because they are all good quality firearms, they will last my entire lifetime and probably my son's lifetime as well if he takes care of them.

To me a firearm purchase is a permanent purchase, I'd rather save up for a good one than take a chance on a cheaper one that may work.

I love my Maxus, but I'm probably going to pick up an A400 as my next purchase. Those things are solid.

If you aren't like me and are willing to sell guns, try out a few cheaper guns and see if you can find something in that $700.00 price range that will work for you. :thumbsup:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat May 25, 2013 8:40 am

My past primary waterfowl guns: Model 12 (back in the days of lead), 870 Express (2), Nova, SBE, and now an SBE2. I have killed more ducks and geese, and at greater range with the 870s than all the others combined. The only reason for changing from the 870s is that I am getting older and wanted to cut weight and recoil.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 am

Yep, Versa-Max 100%
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.
Member: Cascade HRC.
Member: WWA.
XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Tue May 28, 2013 11:31 am

rlvallee wrote:Yep, Versa-Max 100%

You give up on the 11-87 ?

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Tool-Man wrote:

Good question. So when my wife bought the 11-87 waterfowl version for christmas, she nor I realized right off that there was a camo defect under the rib, there was white spots under it and some small white spots where the dip I assume didn't take. I had only hunted with it 2 or 3 times is all. It shot and shouldered great! I was very happy with the gun itself but I'm a bit OCD about my guns. I contacted Reminington and sent it in. When it came back nothing was done, I was a bit upset as you can imagine. I wrote an email to Reninington about what happened. I'm not kidding when I say within 15 min Remington called me back! They told me a shipment had gone out with this problem and they had been trying to get them back. The end result, he told me he was sending me a Versa max to replace it and they kept there word. I have no idea how I got so lucky. I was a Remington fan before but now I'm really a big fan.
XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm

rlvallee wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:

Good question. So when my wife bought the 11-87 waterfowl version for christmas, she nor I realized right off that there was a camo defect under the rib, there was white spots under it and some small white spots where the dip I assume didn't take. I had only hunted with it 2 or 3 times is all. It shot and shouldered great! I was very happy with the gun itself but I'm a bit OCD about my guns. I contacted Reminington and sent it in. When it came back nothing was done, I was a bit upset as you can imagine. I wrote an email to Reninington about what happened. I'm not kidding when I say within 15 min Remington called me back! They told me a shipment had gone out with this problem and they had been trying to get them back. The end result, he told me he was sending me a Versa max to replace it and they kept there word. I have no idea how I got so lucky. I was a Remington fan before but now I'm really a big fan.

WOW! :eek: Very nice! Congrats!

Wish I could turn my 11-87 into a versa.

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Tool-Man wrote:
rlvallee wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:

WOW! :eek: Very nice! Congrats!

Wish I could turn my 11-87 into a versa.

I thought it was a joke at first lol. Tyvm!
XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 pm

rlvallee wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:

Another fine example of exemplary Remington service, IMO the best in the business.
BurninPowder
hunter

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting