Introducing myself and asking a question about Grays Harbor

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Introducing myself and asking a question about Grays Harbor

Postby COYOTE JLR » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Hey folks. I introduced myself in the Honey Hole, but figured I'd just go ahead and post up my intro here as well since I've spent most of my time lurking in the Washington Forum so far.

I found this site earlier in the week and got hooked trying to read through everything. So, here I am. Hoping to get started here on the right foot; I know that every forum has it's own flow and feel and rules to it.

My name is Jacob, I'm 22 years old and have been married for almost a year and a half to the most wonderful woman I could have ever asked for. She's going to be taking her hunter's safety course this summer and plans on joining me occasionally when I go out duck hunting. I started as a volunteer firefighter/EMT last fall and I'm working toward fire service/paramedic as a career. In the mean time I'm a baker and a barista for a small family owned coffee shop. My wife and I have got a couple of cats and, because we are young and stupid, we also have a puppy that is about 30 inches at the shoulder. Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix, so I don't know if she'll ever be a hunter, but we love her dearly nonetheless.

It was duck hunting that actually got me interested in hunting, and shooting in general, when I was a kid, but this year was the first time I ever managed to get out. The magazines I read as a kid talking about putting out massive spreads and the cost of getting started turned me off for a long while and made me think that it was something that I'd just have to wait to do until I was making some better money. A buddy of mine finally asked me out this year and I got hooked and then ended up going out with my father in law as often as I could for the rest of the season. I had an absolute ball and can't wait to get out and do more. I'm limited in what I have, a few dozen 2nd hand decoys and waders that don't fit as well as I'd like, but I managed to find some decent spots to hunt and had a ton of fun going out just on my own some times. My best days were with a half dozen decoys and an improvised jerk string without using a call. There's a ton more for me to learn and I'm hoping to be as prepared as I can be come the 2013 hunting season.

I'm looking at getting a small canoe to help me access some deeper ponds that I've found, but couldn't hunt because I'd have no way of retrieving the birds.

Anyway, I just had some questions about Grays Harbor, if any of you have hunted it before. 9 times out of 10 when I go hunting out here it's within 20 minutes of my house, which is in the east side of the county, because I often start work around noon and can scoot out for an early morning hunt. This last season I brought in mostly wigeon, pintail, and the occasional teal or mallard. I've been out wandering the woods as much as I can and have come across a handful of Wood ducks, which is my ultimate bucket list duck currently, unfortunately, I've only seen them in places I can't hunt. I've also seen some Canadian geese, and a few scaup and the occasional bufflehead, but that's about it for duck species I've seen. My question is, have I seen the extent of the duck species in my neck of the woods and should I focus on them or are there more that I just haven't spotted or haven't looked in the right place for yet?
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Re: Introducing myself and asking a question about Grays Har

Postby Canada-hammer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Can't believe you ended your life that early :fingerhead:
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Welcome Jacob,
My advice isn't worth much but it is meant in the best intentions. BE PATIENT. Having a new wife and a lot of years ahead of you, there is time to slowly invest in the gear you want. There is time to shoot a great many different types of ducks, and there is time to build a relationship with a young wife who might enjoy waterfowling as much as you. That last part is a blessing that not many of us have experienced. Waterfowling has been my passion for 35 years, I hope you get to enjoy as many sunrises and sunsets in the blind as I have.
:welcome:
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm

@Canada- :lol3: I only started a new life, and it is undoubtedly awesome.

@Skagit- I do appreciate the advice. I don't feel I'm in any rush to go out and conquer the duck world, but I'm hoping to get a decent start. :wink: So far I've managed to accumulate nearly everything I've used to duck hunt for almost nothing, shotgun aside. The canoes I've been looking at are $200 tops, I'll be going used and basic with it. My wife is still my number one priority always. She works from home so we have the chance to spend a lot of quality time together. I think she's *almost* glad to get me out of the house once in a while. :yes:
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:23 pm

welcome!

grays harbor is a great place to be an outdoorsman, and not so great for much else. you've pretty much summed up the most common ducks there, i seem to see mostly buffleheads, wigeon, mallards and teal(in that order) when i hunt the salt. i've never done much goose hunting but there's plenty of canadas and some specklebellies around too. if you get a boat capable of handling the chehalis that'll open up a lot of area for you.

i always thought it was a little funny when i moved to the area and asked people if they hunted waterfowl they looked at me like i was from another planet. everyone that hunts seems to drop everything and head out during modern deer season, but there never seemed to be many local duck hunters, most seem to come from out of the area.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:00 am

Welcome to the site. It gets rough around here in the off season. Stick through it.

Canada-hammer wrote:Can't believe you ended your life that early :fingerhead:

I can't believe your such an azz.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am

BigGoonTuna wrote:welcome!

grays harbor is a great place to be an outdoorsman, and not so great for much else. you've pretty much summed up the most common ducks there, i seem to see mostly buffleheads, wigeon, mallards and teal(in that order) when i hunt the salt. i've never done much goose hunting but there's plenty of canadas and some specklebellies around too. if you get a boat capable of handling the chehalis that'll open up a lot of area for you.

i always thought it was a little funny when i moved to the area and asked people if they hunted waterfowl they looked at me like i was from another planet. everyone that hunts seems to drop everything and head out during modern deer season, but there never seemed to be many local duck hunters, most seem to come from out of the area.

I've found it a decent place to be a duck hunter at least. :) It was the number of loons running around in the woods during dear season that made me give up going after them. There's a scary number of dangerous deer hunters out here.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for Specklebellies. I've never seen one, or a snow goose either. Lots of canadians and swans at a distance though. I've thought about a boat, but that's going to be beyond my financial capabilities for a while. I figure with a canoe I could at least get into some of the sloughs though.

Tealer wrote:Welcome to the site. It gets rough around here in the off season. Stick through it.

Thanks for the welcome you guys. I've enjoyed the site so far, so I plan on sticking around.

And don't sweat Canada's comment. I get similar comments pretty regularly. I'm young, I know it and I don't fault people their concern. You should have seen the look on my dad's face when I told him I was thinking about getting married. :biggrin: I'm happy, happier than I've ever been and each day gets better; I figure that's all that matters in the end and other people's opinions are simply that.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 am

Welcome aboard sir. I agree.... Stick this out through the off season and try to get to know a lot of guys on here. This forum can open a lot of doors for a duck hunter. Just take advice with a grain of salt (and a shot of tequila), and have a thick skin sometimes. The species you mentioned are certainly staples.... But many more exist. Blue wing and cinnamon teal will move through early in the season so keep an eye out. Get on the salt to find some Scoter. You may find the occasional Gadwall, Canvasback, Goldeneye. Some years the Ringnecks are thick and some not.... :huh: haven't figured out why yet. Haven't heard about many Redheads on this side of the state, but occasionally someone will get one and lost a pic.

I often pat myself on the back for being an expert at acquiring gear for absolute minimal cost. If you want some pointers.... Shoot me a PM. One thing that will really help you fill your bucket list is to be mobile. Every kind of waterfowl and waterfowling experience can be found here in WA. If you see it on TV or YouTube..... It can be done here. Very few species don't make an appearance at some point in the season. Make some friends on here. These guys are great, know their stuff, and will go out of their way for a guy they like.

Good luck and I would re-think that canoe. Check out craigslist instead. Run searches all over the west side for "Boat" and put $300 as the max. Check it every day and you will find 8' to 12' aluminum flat bottom boats, dingy's, Jon boats, kayaks..... All of which are more stable, lighter (more handleable) and easier to hunt out of. They are also easier to sell when you are ready to upgrade.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 am

Tealer wrote:Welcome to the site. It gets rough around here in the off season. Stick through it.

Know who your talking to smart "azz" ik the guy personally, go catch some more "steelhead" if that's why ya wanna call em, more like bait fish ya fat poosay
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 am

Shade wrote:Welcome aboard sir. I agree.... Stick this out through the off season and try to get to know a lot of guys on here. This forum can open a lot of doors for a duck hunter. Just take advice with a grain of salt (and a shot of tequila), and have a thick skin sometimes. The species you mentioned are certainly staples.... But many more exist. Blue wing and cinnamon teal will move through early in the season so keep an eye out. Get on the salt to find some Scoter. You may find the occasional Gadwall, Canvasback, Goldeneye. Some years the Ringnecks are thick and some not.... :huh: haven't figured out why yet. Haven't heard about many Redheads on this side of the state, but occasionally someone will get one and lost a pic.

I often pat myself on the back for being an expert at acquiring gear for absolute minimal cost. If you want some pointers.... Shoot me a PM. One thing that will really help you fill your bucket list is to be mobile. Every kind of waterfowl and waterfowling experience can be found here in WA. If you see it on TV or YouTube..... It can be done here. Very few species don't make an appearance at some point in the season. Make some friends on here. These guys are great, know their stuff, and will go out of their way for a guy they like.

Good luck and I would re-think that canoe. Check out craigslist instead. Run searches all over the west side for "Boat" and put $300 as the max. Check it every day and you will find 8' to 12' aluminum flat bottom boats, dingy's, Jon boats, kayaks..... All of which are more stable, lighter (more handleable) and easier to hunt out of. They are also easier to sell when you are ready to upgrade.

Am I allowed to substitute whiskey for the tequila when taking advice? Probably will be a while before I can hunt any salt water, but I'll find as many good local holes to hit as I can. It's a good excuse to get the mutt out for some exercise anyway.

I may have to shoot you a PM sometime. Other than a boat of some sort I've got most everything I'm looking for currently. Craigslist is actually where I've been checking to track down a boat. The issue with a flat bottom boat or something like that is that it's going to be pulling double duty as a recreational exploring boat for my wife and I, and possibly the dog too, over the summer. So something that we can load up and use to paddle out to camping spots is pretty important.

So, I guess that leaves kayaks as an option, but I've found that they typically run more expensive, especially tandem kayaks. I don't think I'd want to try sharing a seat with the dog in a kayak either. lol.

I've found pontoon stabilizers for canoes around and have thought that using something like that should be able to stabilize the craft well enough to hunt out of on occasion. If I got some cart wheels for it I figure I could just throw my gear in it and use it like a big unwieldy carrier. I think I'd mostly just be using it in order to get across ponds that were too deep to wade across and to retrieve birds in deeper water. Not having a way to retrieve downed birds has been the most limiting factor in my hunting location selection so far.

I don't know. Boating and duck hunting really aren't areas where I have a whole lot of experience. Do you think with my main intended uses for it that I could make it work? I've got a shoe string budget and I know that a canoe is a must have for my wife and I this summer. I could just start saving up for small kayak for myself and hopefully afford it before the season gets here.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 pm

I have seen small, 10ft aluminum flat bottom boats sell on craigslist for $50. I have seen pairs of old oars on Craig's go for $20. It will hold more gear. It will be a great exploration tool. It will be easier to load up on a car top or bed of a truck.

BUT, if you already have your heart set on a Canoe.... Yes, it will work to retrieve ducks. Send a PM to Scauphunter about using a canoe to hunt with. I know he did some extensive research and modification to his canoe. He will be able to give you all the info you could want on canoe hunting.

P.S. Whiskey works almost as well.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Shade wrote:I have seen small, 10ft aluminum flat bottom boats sell on craigslist for $50. I have seen pairs of old oars on Craig's go for $20. It will hold more gear. It will be a great exploration tool. It will be easier to load up on a car top or bed of a truck.

BUT, if you already have your heart set on a Canoe.... Yes, it will work to retrieve ducks. Send a PM to Scauphunter about using a canoe to hunt with. I know he did some extensive research and modification to his canoe. He will be able to give you all the info you could want on canoe hunting.

P.S. Whiskey works almost as well.

Well, I'll keep my eyes peeled. I hadn't stumbled across any little boats for that cheap, but I hadn't been looking very carefully either. If I could find one for that price I could probably swing it along with a canoe. :grooving: I hadn't realized that it could be that affordable.

Thanks for the advice, and I think I'll send a PM Scauphunter's way too, just to get his take on the canoe angle.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You can spend as much as you want duck hunting but if funds are tight there is no need. I started out with a pos 2 3/4" only pump gun, inflatable dekes that were borrowed, crappy red ball waders, surplus army coat etc. Of course, I was shooting lead back then, but I killed plenty of ducks that first year.

Your best bet is to participate on the forum and meet other hunters near you that you can learn and share expenses with. It is best to meet your fellow local hunters before the season starts.

Last thing, please don't hunt out of a canoe, especially with a big dog who may not be steady to shot. As Shade said, there are safer and better options available on the cheap.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 am

:welcome: to the forum. It can get rough around here, but even so, most guys are willing to help most guys out.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am

brokerbyduck wrote:Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You can spend as much as you want duck hunting but if funds are tight there is no need. I started out with a pos 2 3/4" only pump gun, inflatable dekes that were borrowed, crappy red ball waders, surplus army coat etc. Of course, I was shooting lead back then, but I killed plenty of ducks that first year.

Your best bet is to participate on the forum and meet other hunters near you that you can learn and share expenses with. It is best to meet your fellow local hunters before the season starts.

Last thing, please don't hunt out of a canoe, especially with a big dog who may not be steady to shot. As Shade said, there are safer and better options available on the cheap.

Yeah, I've had some great hunting experiences just using the gear that I already have, but within the driving distance close enough to home that I can still pack up and get to work by noon there are only a few holes that I've found that are shallow enough or accessible enough to hunt without having either a dog or a boat to retrieve downed birds. There have been a couple of times now where I've been beaten to the holes I've had the best luck at and ended up getting skunked with some pretty out of the way spots. I like to give other hunters plenty of respect and room. After having a couple of hunts get off to a crappy start when I've had jerks come stomping up 5 minutes to legal shooting light, flushing all of the birds I'd had in my dekes, and then setting up really close to me (once within 15 yards) I try really hard to keep my distance from others.

Anyway, all that to say that while it's not totally necessary, I think the cost of a small boat will be totally worth it. :)

I've had a great time on this forum so far. I've already received a lot of really good advice that has made me rethink some of my plans and I've had one offer to hunt, which really made my day. I'm looking forward to getting to know more people. Locally, I've got a handful of friends that I can hunt with with varying levels of experience, but all of our schedules are so different I often hunt solo.

As for the canoe, I would never hunt with my dog in it. As a matter of fact, my intentions are to rarely, if ever hunt directly out of it, but instead use it mainly to access deeper, still, ponds that I couldn't otherwise hunt. I did take Shade's advice and hit up Scauphunter and he's been a huge help. For recreational use with my wife this summer I think we're pretty set on a canoe and getting that and spending time with her is definitely top priority over any hunting gear I want, but I'm also looking around for a small cheap flat bottomed boat like Shade suggested. If I can find one, awesome, but if I can't I feel pretty confident that I can use a canoe safely for my intended uses.

I really appreciate everyone's concern. As an EMT I haven't had to work a drowning victim yet, but we've had a few locally and I know that that is not the way that I want to go. I've got a lot to live for and I wont hunt out of something that I don't feel 100% about. If I can't get that confidence out of a canoe, it'll only be used to cross ponds.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm

I will second/third/ whatever the heck number we are on Shade's comment's about a small flat bottom boat. I picked my 8 footer up for $200 I think. Came with oars and was almost in pristine condition. I can load it on top of my car by myself. (Shade can vouch for this) Really way more safer than a canoe and can haul a ton more. One down side with the small boat is if the wife is a little bigger you may want to have her sit in back.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am

Welcome :welcome:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.
Member: Cascade HRC.
Member: WWA.
XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Shade wrote:Welcome aboard sir. I agree.... Stick this out through the off season and try to get to know a lot of guys on here. This forum can open a lot of doors for a duck hunter. Just take advice with a grain of salt (and a shot of tequila), and have a thick skin sometimes. The species you mentioned are certainly staples.... But many more exist. Blue wing and cinnamon teal will move through early in the season so keep an eye out. Get on the salt to find some Scoter. You may find the occasional Gadwall, Canvasback, Goldeneye. Some years the Ringnecks are thick and some not.... :huh: haven't figured out why yet. Haven't heard about many Redheads on this side of the state, but occasionally someone will get one and lost a pic.

Except black ducks
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Canada-hammer wrote:Except black ducks

Yeah. That's the main one. There are a few species that I have heard "fish stories" of people harvesting/sighting as well. Those include:

King Eider
Common Eider
European Pochard
Eurasian Teal
Tufted Ducks
Mandarin (likely pen raised)

And I have from a reputable source that an occasional, very small, population of Baikal Teal actually make the trip over the Pacific and visit SW WA and NW Oregon. Maybe they just get lost, but that one is on my Lifetime Bucketlist. I have seen the YouTube videos of the Baikal teal migrations in North and South Korea and I would love to get in on that kind of action.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:09 pm

I can direct you to some great spots on the Imjin river in the ROK Shade if you don't mind landmines and "game wardens" wearing grey wool uniforms and carrying AK's.
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 pm

12' Canoe painted camofluage and including stabilizing pontoons on sale for $150 in Raymond, WA right now.....
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 am

Shade wrote:12' Canoe painted camofluage and including stabilizing pontoons on sale for $150 in Raymond, WA right now.....

Thanks for the heads up! I actually tracked down someone selling a nice tandem kayak for $200, so I think I'm going to hop on that after everyone recommended that over a canoe.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby whackem186 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 am

Mr. Coyote JLR send me an email with your phone # maybe we could get together. I've got a 15' trihull with a Johnson 40 hp it is all set up for the rivers and the bay, I also own 2 Final Attack layout boats. I hunt the Chehalis River primarily. Won't have to worry about decoys or shotgun shells. I am a disabled hunter, I use a wheelchair; so I alway's need another hunter with me. Anyway maybe we could talk if your that interested in waterfowling.
whackem186
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am

:welcome: Jacob!
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.
Member: Cascade HRC.
Member: WWA.
XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting